Vacation Days Turned Sick Days

I have the worst luck, huh? Less than two weeks after getting over a stomach virus, I was hit with another one upon waking Saturday (yesterday) morning. I felt iffy, yet was experiencing no actual symptoms, so I still went to the gym and completed 30 minutes of HIIT on the StepMill. Looking back this was probably a bad call – I should have let myself rest. I wasn’t very hungry all day but managed a tiny breakfast and lunch. Luckily I was still doing OK on the plane ride to Orlando. However, my luck ended there.

This certainly LOOKS lucky – amazing dinner cooked by my dad. The place we’re staying is a timeshare so it’s more a condo than a hotel room. I was actually feeling very hungry for this dinner and it tasted fantastic to me. So fantastic that I ate myself silly!

Baked potato with salsa in the skin, medium to medium-rare filet mignon, and veggies dipped in Publix garlic hummus. Went back for more steak and also a turkey burger in spicy yellow mustard.

It all tasted so delicious, but I felt way too full afterward. I took a water bottle and went to sleep. And woke up a couple hours later in SO much pain, lots of stomach cramping, my body was VERY mad at me. I shouldn’t have let my guard down! But I did and I spent all day Sunday (today) feeling pretty darn crummy. Twitter was a lifesaver as usual – thanks to all who wished me well and gave me advice on how to tame my tummy!

Picked some of this good stuff up. Includes ginger!

I was way more cautious  and though I had a couple of moments of meh feelings, I am feeling better tonight, OK enough to VERY slowly eat some rye bread and turkey pastrami from TooJay’s, a Florida go-to. I refuse to miss out on this trip! I also had WAY too much success at the Orlando Premium Outlets, by far the best outlet mall I’ve ever been to (upon recommendation from the lovely J of J’s Everyday Fashion), which cheered me up. I will be sharing my purchases soon!

Our hotel room is also gorgeous! Again, more like a condo, kitchen included. That’s how we’ve been able to stay in for a couple of nights – and no one is fighting over TVs that’s for sure! Here are some pics for you all – gotta run :) I’m gonna read my amazing book and hit the hay in a few. Here’s hoping I wake up feeling better!

My room, will be sharing with grandparents for a couple evenings.

My bathroom, the wallpaper is cute!

Despite the fact that we have a washer/dryer room, I did NOT pack light.

Living room and dining area.

Clearly the rents don't plan to use their jacuzzi for anything other than a suitcase stand.

What’s the best hotel room you’ve ever stayed in?

Have you ever gotten sick right before or during a vacation?

19 Responses to "Vacation Days Turned Sick Days"

1. Heather @ For the Love of Kale

February 26, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Aww babe, I’m so sorry you’re not feeling so hot! REST UP so that you can enjoy the rest of your vacation to the fullest. I will be checking in via text to make sure this happens. ;-)

I’ve never been to a fancy schmancy hotel before and I’ve never gotten sick on vacation. So, in short, I’m a boring traveler. This past summer, Raquel, Angela and I stayed in a nice suite in NC. We were surrounded by trees and trees and trees. it was amazing!

February 26, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I LOVE NC i bet that was so relaxing and zen! it’s been too long since i was there, but i was in tenn this past october and it was similar, so beautiful especially in the fall. if you’ve never been to the “south” during the fall, you absolutely must. it’s even better than new england falls, prob b/c of the whole school spirit/sports/football vibe that i grew up loving.

and <3 you for thinking of me enough to text – and please text me about potentially spending some q time together in a couple wkends?! ;-)

2. actorsdiet

February 27, 2012 at 1:59 AM

yuck. feel better!

February 27, 2012 at 5:20 AM

Omg….I KNOW I’ve stayed there—it’s the exact layout, kitchen, laundry, wallpaper….! I bet every single suite in that place is exactly the same. Lol…and very nice! It was for a girls’ trip with my college roommates last January, one of them got the place through work and we had it for a whole week, but only stayed for 4 days (they all had kids to get home to)…I stayed an extra day by myself. You’re so close to the outlets!!!
    I sat out on the porch with a blanket every morning and did work — it was cold, and the internet didn’t work inside unless I sat right by the door….hope you’re having better luck than that!
    Also, hope you continue to feel better!

February 27, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Wait lisa that’s SO funny, was it Sheraton villas? Yes we are ridiculously close to the outlets it came in handy yesterday! And wifi sucks. I was on the phone with the hotel on night 1 and it never got working again but luckily my dad has one of those AT&T mobile hot spots so I’ve used that.

4. Jen

February 27, 2012 at 8:45 AM

what a bummer that you are sick on vacation. feel better soon and enjoy having your family there to take care of you!

February 27, 2012 at 5:12 PM

They have certainly been so helpful, and I’m feeling so much better, thanks Jen!

5. Paige @ Running Around Normal

February 27, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Oh no! I hope you feel 100% the rest of your trip!!

February 27, 2012 at 5:10 PM

So far I am there, thanks!

6. Presley

February 27, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Being sick on vacation is the worst! I’m sorry that happened to you :(

February 27, 2012 at 5:09 PM

It’s OK I feel a lot better after taking it easy!

7. runsunshine

February 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Aw I hope you get to feeling better so you can enjoy the rest of your trip! :)

The best hotel that I have stayed at was probably where Stuart and I got married! They gave us the nicest suite at the hotel and I swear the bathroom was as big as our whole downstairs living area in our house! :)

I {thankfully} have never gotten sick on a vacation! knock on wood….

February 27, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I so am, thank you for thinking of me! Haha that bathroom sounds awesome. I felt that way in college about my bathroom senior year. It was legit as big as a freshman’s room!

8. Jane

February 28, 2012 at 2:51 AM

At least you were healthy enough to shop! Hope you are feeling better :)

February 28, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Haha yes I had to get out of the hotel room and get fresh air. Feeling better indeed thank you!

9. Pingback: Orlando Premium Outlets Get the Best of Me « Cait Plus Ate