Wednesday’s Workout and Whole Foods Goodies

Yesterday my first guest blogger feature was published on LoziLu Mud Run’s website! Check it out for some easy, tasty ideas for a girl’s night in. You can also explore the rest of their site to find a Mud Run near you – I hope to attend the Boston run on 7/7/12 and would LOVE to make a blogger meet-up out of it!

Good morning friends, and happy Thursday. We are ALMOST to Friday which means I am ALMOST hopping on a plane to Orlando (Saturday afternoon is when we depart) with my mom to reunite with my wonderful grandparents, who I haven’t seen since December, and my dad, who has been on travel abroad for the last couple of weeks (and I miss him like crazy).

Yesterday became a very busy day at work and I got out late, so I was ten minutes late to spin class, but it was all good because one of my favorite instructors was teaching. Not only did she step her game up with her music this week (the last few weeks on Wednesdays it’s been like spinning to the Guitar Hero soundtrack…this time there was some fun mixed in like Carrie’s “Cowboy Casanova”) but she also put us through a REALLY tough workout that involved a three-song hill – OUCH, my quads! The 50-minute cardio session left me feeling sweaty and awesome, so I decided to keep the vibe going and head to the weight room for a quick upper body workout session.

I really like to make my upper-body weight lifting similar to a Group Power (like Body Pump) class. I’m not a big fan of lifting heavy weights and then resting in between sets – though I know this is good for building strength! Usually when I do that, I try to do abs in between while my upper body is resting. My favorite way to lift upper body though, is to treat it like my own individual Group Power class and do varying moves back-to-back of one muscle group during an entire song. Then for the next song, I switch it up to another muscle group. By the end of the song, my muscles are always burning and shaking! Last night I rocked Kanye’s “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy“, one of my favorite albums of all time, for some shoulders, abs, and biceps. I did them in that order because my arms DEFINITELY needed a rest after doing shoulders before I could move on to biceps. I forgot how LONG those Kanye songs are!

Grilled chicken/turkey burger with spicy yellow mustard, black beans, baked potato with pico de gallo.

I came home and refueled with the amazing dinner above. I also had the inside of the potato, but it’s in a bowl off to the side, and looks pretty bland in photos anyway! The black beans were from Moe’s and I could’ve eaten an entire pot of them – I just love black beans so much. I’m grateful to be living at home with a mother who is always up for making me healthy, delicious meals!

I’m going out to eat tonight to my favorite restaurant, J. Gilbert’s, to use a $20-off coupon I got back in December. It expires while we’re away next week so it must be used! Joe and my wonderful Nana Connie (she arrives today to take care of my brother while we are gone in FL – I’m so glad she is coming!) are going to join my mom, brother, and I for dinner. I also plan to order one of their wine flights – I have never tried theirs and will definitely be craving some vino with my meal!

Joe and I at dinner this past Saturday night at Grant's in West Hartford.

I’m going to end today’s post with some random photos that I took during my December Florida vacation at the Palm Beach Gardens Whole Foods salad/hot bars. I never got a chance to share them and I love seeing what Whole Foods locations across the country have at their food bars –  does this make me a nerd? No, I think it just makes me a foodie :) Enjoy!

LOVE the colors in this photo.

DOLMADES! Was so excited when I saw these.

FL Whole Foods locations always offer some kind of great seafood salad like the shrimp salad above!

The colorful lettuce-less Greek salad in the middle was so good, but the onions were STRONG!

Plantains make my heart happy!

Have you ever noticed differences in Whole Foods location offerings across the country? Any of the items above look familiar from your local Whole Foods – OR completely foreign?

What’s your favorite way to lift upper body weights?

Anyone else have exciting Thursday dinner plans?

24 Responses to "Wednesday’s Workout and Whole Foods Goodies"

1. Liz @ Southern Charm

February 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM

note: do not read this post while hungry! haha.

this whole foods has SO much more than mine. Everything is foreign :(

February 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM

do you mean foreign to you or ethnic? haha

• Mallory

February 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM

ahaha agreed!!

2. Halley (Blunder Construction)

February 23, 2012 at 12:53 PM

some of the busier (small) WFs in boston have such LAME food bars! the one i frequent has just a very basic garden salad bar and that’s it. but just a 30 minute drive to the ‘burbs and the food bars are enormous! it’s probably better off that i don’t have access to really good ones.

February 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM

That is a bummer, you would think since it was Boston, such a big city, there’d be bigger options! My Whole Foods has better options than “city” ones I’ve been too though (I’m in a suburban area) so maybe this makes sense? It’s hard to stay away for my wallet’s sake!

3. Heather

February 23, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I lift weights like you do (obvi since I love Power as much as you)! I always focus on chest and shoulders, though, since they’re my favorites. I need to spread the love……..
    Have fun at dinner tonight!

February 23, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I tend to focus on bis/shoulders when I lift and then I do push ups, regular and tricep, for chest/tris. I need to lift more for those two areas tho! We all have our fave areas we tend to favor :) and thanks I hope your lakeside dinner was amazing the other night!

4. Madeline @ Food Fitness and Family

February 23, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I LOVE me some BodyPump style workouts :) Sounds like a super sweaty, awesome workout girl! Get it done!

5. Meredith @ DareYouTo

February 23, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I, too, tend to strength train kind of in the way you described, although less intentionally “by the song.” that is a great way to time it, though, so I may copy your idea! I like exhausting one muscle group in a bunch of different ways in a row, and then switching to the next group.

February 24, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Timing it by the “song” often keeps me going past the point when I want to stop, which is a good thing, gotta tire out those muscles!

6. Meg (A Dash of Meg)

February 23, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Mmmm I love black beans too :) <3

Tonight, my Daddy and I are cooking together :) I am finally trying bison :D

So excited for you to see YOUR Daddy soon girl <3 Love you

February 24, 2012 at 8:51 AM

OMG I LOVE bison can’t believe you haven’t had it! Yes I am having black beans AGAIN tonight.

7. Tessa at Amazing Asset

February 23, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Ha oh my worddddd so I love Whole Foods and even more now!! I have been finding workouts online via pinterest… so many good ones there!

February 23, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Mmmmmm….Whole Foods! I really haven’t noticed differences/similarities because I rarely get to a Whole Foods (NYC, DC, and Boston are the only ones I’ve been to).
    I’m always so in awe when I go—actually, when we go to a city with a Whole Foods, it’s usually one of the first places we go!
    No exciting dinner plans this evening, but I did have a darn good grilled cheese sandwich!

February 24, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Yay for dairy being back! What kind of cheese?

9. Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic

February 23, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I love the Whole Foods salad bar! I feel like it’s different in every city! I need to do more upper body workouts, and I like the idea of doing varying moves back-to-back for one muscle group during an entire song.

February 24, 2012 at 8:51 AM

It’s a way of keeping me motivated to work upper body :)

10. Presley

February 23, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I definitely follow the bodypump style when I lift! Glad I’m not the only one :)

11. Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl

February 23, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I am so jealous that I do not have a whole foods in my area! Your dinner looks awesome. Nom Nom. Have fun at dinner with everyone. Love family get together dinners. Always lotsa fun (and sometimes drama). LOL

February 24, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Haha I do agree sometimes we get dysfunctional but last night all was well! I would def be lost w/out my Whole Foods.

12. Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife

March 2, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I teach BodyPUMP 4x/week so yes, my upper body is always worked song by song. LOVE it. I switch up the the playlists each week, so I get a whole new workout every week. IT rocks. My upper body has gotten so much stronger since taking/teaching BP!

Food looks good! Have fun with your dad!

March 2, 2012 at 7:57 PM

thank you – it’s been great to see him! wow body pump 4x/week, you must be ripped girl! ;)

13. Pingback: Orlando – Day Five « Cait Plus Ate