I’m Amazing Because…

Don’t forget to enter the giveaway for a case of Barres: The Real Food Bar! You have until tomorrow (Wednesday) night at 11:59PM EST.

I had a different post planned for today, but this is my blog and it’s an outlet for me, and I’ve got a lot on my mind. A LOT.

So this is what I was doing last night:

Pre-dinner snacks: beer bread, sausage, cheese, peanuts, garlic knot.

Double fisting Chardonnay.

Jeff, Kelly, and I went to the latest Chops N Catch tasting dinner. I drank a LOT of wine. I ate delicious food, some the kind I usually eat…

Grilled romaine heart with Rose’s Berry Farm raspberries, almonds, sesame vinaigrette, and Beltane Farms goat cheese.

Steamers, cod, corn on the cob, potatoes!

…and some the kind that I don’t eat every day.

Ground short rib slider topped with lobster, gruyere, lobster bisque on a brioche bun.

Warm maple bread pudding and Royal vanilla ice cream.

You hear that, brain? I don’t eat it every day. I also don’t drink a glass of wine with each plate at every dinner. However, my mind hasn’t been doing a good job of letting me believe that. From the moment I got home last night til now, I have been feeling downright AWFUL about myself. I feel guilty for having desire to attend, going to, and enjoying last night’s tasting. It’s like if I had gone and had a bad time, I’d feel BETTER right now. How shitty is that? Because I enjoyed myself last night, I feel worse today. I have this ridiculous standard I’m holding myself to. Okay, I could make every bite I put into my mouth clean. I know that’s possible. But is it reasonable? Is that any way to live my life? Is that how I want to eat? No, it’s not. Yet because I’m aware that it’s possible, I feel guilty that I don’t do it.

I was feeling ridiculously low this morning and so I called my girl Jenny and we had a good chat. I let it all out and she and I both marveled at the mean things we find our minds saying to ourselves. “You’re not good enough. You should have done this. You were wrong to even want to go out to eat in the first place.” As I said to her – I would NEVER be this mean to anyone. No one deserves to have to follow a standard of perfection. So why do I have to?!

Jenny shared with me that she was going to strive today to be kind to herself. I love the sound of that. My mind is so often very mean to me. I want to get a handle on it and make it nice. I want it to give me some props! So I decided to make a list of why I’m amazing. And I literally titled it that way. #sorrynotsorry

You know what I realized as I was making it? I couldn’t stop writing! Positive thoughts kept popping into my head – a welcome relief. I have a LOT of reasons to believe I’m amazing. Some have to do with food and working out. Most of them don’t. And all of them are the truth.

That top page has a back!

So without further ado, here’s my list. Read it if you want, but what I REALLY hope you do is make your own list. Share it with me and others! And keep it in a place where you’ll have it often (I’m going to put mine in my purse) so that you can not only refer to it whenever you’re feeling down on yourself, but ADD to it as well! Because let’s face it, you’re not going to realize every reason why you’re amazing in one sitting. There are too many reasons for that to be possible :)

Caitlin Is Amazing Because:

1. I have the best family in the world.
  2. I have a full-time job and had two on lockdown before I even graduated – in a crappy economy.
  3. I have wonderful, close friends and also many new friends I’ve met since 2011.
  4. I’m over my ex-boyfriend and have truly learned so much from that relationship.
  5. I adore healthy foods and eat them regularly because I enjoy it.
  6. I love certain workouts, move each day, and enjoy it.
  7. I have a blog that is only growing in readers, is seen as a marketing tool by brands and Fitfluential, and inspires others.
  8. I’m incredibly organized and enjoy being that way. It comes naturally to me!
  9. I’m look at by friends, readers, and my family as a role model in many areas.
  10. I dress well and have a good sense of style.
  11. I’m hygienic (I floss!)
  12. I get a good night’s sleep most nights.
  13. I have way more good habits than bad.
  14. I enjoy writing!
  15. I relieve stress in positive ways like coloring, exercise, NPR, doing laundry…
  16. I’ve never smoked or done drugs.
  17. I read!
  18. I go to school for part-time for free, though I could easily just have decided not to start my MBA yet.
  19. I listen to NPR and truly enjoy learning about the world through that tool.
  20. I keep my room, car, work area, and the bathroom clean.
  21. I ‘ve been more honest about my rocky relationship with food and exercise on the blog.
  22. I change out my contacts and their solution when it’s time to do so.
  23. I sought mental help for an ED on my own, without anyone forcing me to do so.
  24. I only drink one cup of coffee per day (and hence don’t struggle with caffeine headaches like I used to).
  25. I save 50% of each and every paycheck, without fail, and have been doing so for the last two years at every job. As a result, I have way more saved than most 23 year olds!
  26. I like living at home and do so while still trying to be as independent as possible. And I’m saving a bundle!
  27. I really, truly want to and care about getting closer to and bettering my relationship with my little brother. I could just as easily shrug off the distance between us.
  28. I have 0 credit card debt. Or any debt.
  29. I am thrifty when I can be (Coupon Caitlin).
  30. I’m adventurous with food and drinks.
  31. I stay in touch with friends even when they don’t live near me.
  32. I can run an 8 minute mile.
  33. I ran 8 miles without stopping once.
  34. I appreciate my grandparents
  35. I’m open-minded about movies, music, and books.
  36. I’m pretty.
  37. I have nice hair – a bit wavy and easy to style.
  38. I like how every part of my body looks (right now…worrying about the future is a work in progress).
  39. I don’t gamble more than $20 at the casino.
  40. I’m taking initiative and I wrote this list.
You’ll notice that anything about  my outward appearance truly didn’t pop into my head until #36. Yet I spend so much time worrying about how the choices I make will affect it. Do you see a disconnection there? Try making your own list – you’ll be amazed at these kinds of “revelations” that it will bring about.

How do you practice self love? What’s on your list of why you’re amazing? Comment and tell me or better yet – show me on Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #AmazingMe!

0 Responses to "I’m Amazing Because…"

1. Becki @Fight4Wellness

July 10, 2012 at 1:54 PM

This is a great post! I feel the same way when I eat poorly or don’t work out religiously, but I need to remind myself that I do amazing things every day (sometimes fitness/nutrition related, but sometimes not) and that I shouldn’t feel guilty about splurging or the less-than-amazing things I sometimes do.

Thank you.

July 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM

There is so much more that defines who we are than fitness and nutrition, so those two things should not have SUCH a huge factor in whether or not we think we are “good enough”! Thank you for reading and I’m glad that you liked the post, Becki!

2. Kacie Phillips

July 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM

This is seriously beautiful! You are such an inspiration! The fact that you turned negative thoughts into 40 positives just like that?! That is why you are amazing (#41 of course!)!! You go girl!

July 10, 2012 at 2:01 PM

<333 aw kacie i literally just teared up reading that. i so appreciate that you would call me an inspiration and i hope it goes to show everyone out there that even if you are feeling SO low, if you really focus on what is great about you you'll have no problem finding PLENTY of reasons to be happy.

3. Megan

July 10, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Awesome post! I feel like I eat healthy and work out 6 days a week on the regular. So if there is a week I over indulge in food because there are things going on or if I am so busy I don’t have time to work out that my body won’t wig out because I take good care of it 90% of the time. Love your list!

ALSO that grilled romaine heart looks to die for..

July 10, 2012 at 2:18 PM

It was, Megan! I usually eat spinach in all my salads because I love all that greeeeeen but it was a nice change to CRUNCH on the romaine.

And exactly, I always feel bad when I have a busy week that keeps me to shorter or less workouts, or maybe a week of lots of parties or plans involving more indulgent eats. But it’s not the norm!

4. Heather Iacobacci (@hriacobacci)

July 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Great idea – and of course you know you shouldn’t beat yourself up right ;-) I’m with you on the $20 at the casino (not that I’ve been more than once or other than a cruise).

July 10, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Haha I will lay down $20 on the craps table and if I lose it I walk away! If I start winning, I play til my first “loss” and then I stop!

5. Anthony Vennare

July 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Great post and outlook! As my dad always said “You are in complete control of your mind, body and above all your attitude” and you showed that in this post.

July 10, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I love that quote from your dad, Anthony! And thanks for the like on FB too :)

6. angelazhu

July 10, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I love this post so much! and I totally feel you because as much as I try not to, I often beat myself up for indulging a little more than I normally would too. :( great strategy for dealing with it though! you’re so inspiring! :)

• angelazhu

July 10, 2012 at 2:11 PM

and I think I have the same notebook ;) vera bradley right?

July 10, 2012 at 2:19 PM

YES! I’m obsessed with Vera office/school supplies! I’m so touched that you called me inspiring, Angela :) thanks

7. Jason

July 10, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Nice list. I live my life by the motto “everything in moderation”, things become “bad for you” when you eat too much of it, drink too much of it, or do too much of it, heck even too much water can kill you….. if you don’t give into those indulgences from time to time then one day you might snap and go overboard with it.

July 10, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Jason I totally love that point about the water. Thanks for commenting!

8. Amy

July 10, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Oh my gosh Caitlin- I cannot tell you how timely this post is. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I am creating a list when I get home from work today. I need to start focusing on the positives in my life rather than allowing myself to wallow in bad moods, ‘guilt’ trips, etc. xoAmy

July 10, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I’m so, so glad that I posted it today then, Amy. Even more glad than I already was. I can’t wait to hear some of your list’s items if you want to share them!

9. Lindsay (@LeanGrnBeanBlog)

July 10, 2012 at 2:30 PM

i think you’re going to like the post i have scheduled tomorrow. it’s all about viewing negative thoughts as wasted space ;) i LOVED reading your list! you ARE amazing. good for you for realizing it.

July 10, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Ooh can’t wait to read Lindsay, what good timing, thank you!

10. Claire @ Live & Love to Eat

July 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM

You are amazing, you inspire me! :)

July 10, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I’m blushing, Claire! I love the blog world and how we inspire each other.

11. Tina Reale (@tinareale)

July 10, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I got teary eyed reading this! You ARE amazing and I think this is such a great idea. I probably would have had similar feelings as you after that because the eating demons and guilt still get to me at times, even though I know they shouldn’t. The point is we overcome them and recognize how great life is and what truly matters. Love to you, girl!

July 10, 2012 at 3:03 PM

The comments on this post have all been getting me teary eyed too! I know you understand the eating demons – AND the pride in overcoming them. I can’t wait to say I officially am past them. Until then I’ll keep working. Sending love back!

July 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM

So inspiring! I love this Caitlin! And am so happy you did this exercise for yourself, its amazing to get out of that negative mindset and start viewing yourself a life in a positive way!

July 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I thought of you, Lisa, I really did! :)

13. Yellow Haired Girl

July 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I read this on my phone and NEEDED to comment but my phone wasn’t cooperating. So I hunted down a computer, just for you :)

This. Was. Amazing. What an inspiring post, Caitlin. I’m happy you did this exercise for yourself, and am happy that you’ve set such an incredible example for the rest of us! This is something I will do in the future. We all have down days, days where we guilt ourselves. If we can realize how much each of us are worth (and have to offer others!), life will be better. LOVED it!

July 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM

OMG, you really did that?! I am so flattered!!! And honored that you feel I inspired you. I agree, this list is applicable to all because we all have these days. Love YOU, thanks for always reading!

14. Lisa @ The Raw Serenity

July 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Cait, so dam proud of you!
    Very inspiring, I love how you recognise that its the ED and not you wanting you to feel bad. I sometimes get confused about wanting to get better. Its as if I feel guilty about wanting to have a healthy body and going to an event without bullying myself for days after it. You have an awesome list and there is way more you will be adding to it I’m sure!
    Its great that you have a friend you can talk to about your struggles and support each other. I don’t have any friends (only family) that I can talk to about it but since starting my blog I have found people (like yourself) that I can connect with to help keep up the motivation.
    I’m going to take your advice and write a list :)
    x

July 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM

That’s what’s so great about the blog world, Lisa! I actually met Jenny through Heather of ForTheLoveOfKale.com, and I met HER through blogging, so Jenny is a blog find that’s turned into a REAL life friend! She lives near me!
      I definitely feel bad sometimes for FIGHTING these thoughts. It’s like a voice is saying, stop fighting, you’ll end up gaining weight and being lazy if you keep up these positive self thoughts. Like I said in this post, how MEAN is that?! Ridiculous. I’m glad we can support each other.

15. Meredith @ Dare You To

July 10, 2012 at 4:17 PM

This is beautiful. Positive self-talk <3

July 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Thank you Meredith! we are all amazing!

16. Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness

July 10, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I love this!!!! Perfect example of self love! I think we all need to learn to do things like this more often! Thank you for the reminder :)

July 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM

You’re welcome Danielle, thanks for commenting!

17. Lauren Cunningham

July 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Beautiful. :) I think I need to do this as well.

July 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Lauren I’m so excited you read this/my blog! I can’t wait to see your list (if you want to share it haha)

18. RunToTheFinish

July 10, 2012 at 7:43 PM

what a fantastic idea! i was beating myself up for a brownie, but you are right i don’t eat that every day and i have so many more reasons to love myself than to be upset…plus that won’t undo the brownie!

July 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM

EXACTLY! I love that you’re using that positive mantra to fight the guilt. Keep it up!

19. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate

July 10, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Wonderful restaurant meal, as usual!

July 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I know you loved the gruyere on that slider, Matt!

20. Wholesome Living

July 10, 2012 at 9:41 PM

This is a great post! I think it takes so much strength to be vulnerable and share, but in that I think it helps those who feel the same to find new ways of healing. Thank you. And keep it up :)

July 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Thank you girl! I’ve been inspired by those who has helped me by being vulnerable themselves. I want to do the same for others!

21. Charissa (@ColourfulPalate)

July 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM

What a fun idea – thanks for sharing all this good stuff! God has given you some pretty amazing gifts!

July 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Thank you so much for reading Charissa!

22. Emily

July 10, 2012 at 10:45 PM

This post gave me chills. Probably one of the best posts I’ve read in a LONG time. You are so amazing and so blessed- I’m glad that you were able to see that!
    It’s easy for us to get caught up in trying to be “perfect” all the time when, in reality, life is never perfect. We’re supposed to indulge and do things that are out-of-the-ordinary sometimes. That’s what makes life fun and interesting!
    I’m definitely going to make one of these lists! It’s a brilliant idea. <3

July 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Emily, thank you so much for commenting and also for the touching compliment. I’m honored that you enjoyed my post so much! I can’t wait to hear about what’s on your list!

23. hannah

July 10, 2012 at 11:48 PM

so amazing! i may take a selfie tomorrow and do the hashtag #amazingme. selfies make me uncomfortable though so we will see. i am a very proud sister. xoxox hannah.

p.s. dont be too upset michael likes me better =P

July 11, 2012 at 9:12 AM

HAHAHA i loved this comment. jeff was like “i wonder if michael will ever see his part on the list”. i said it was doubtful.

24. Kierston

July 11, 2012 at 6:15 AM

Such a great and inspiring post! The exercise itself is so important as it reminds you (us) why were are amazing! You are awesome!

July 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM

YOU are too Kierston! We all are :)

25. Miz

July 11, 2012 at 6:21 AM

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS CAIT!!!!!!

July 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Love love love you!

26. Sarah

July 11, 2012 at 7:30 AM

I love this! What an amazing post. I’m so glad you can see all these amazing aspects in yourself. Filling your mind with positive thoughts instead of negative ones can truly make a world of difference. I swear, it was like you just put everything that’s going on in my head into words, and did it so so beautifully.You’ve inspired me to stop looking at myself in such a negative way and realize why I am amazing, and that I shouldn’t feel guilty for having a good time — even when it involves food!
    Even though I’ve only been reading your blog for a short time, you’ve inspired me in SO many ways. Probably more than any other blogger…and believe me I follow a plethora of blogs! I’m off to make my own list :) Thanks, Caitlin.

July 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I am blown blown BLOWN away by your comment, Sarah. And I am inspired by other bloggers all the time so to hear you say that about me is just so touching. Thank you so VERY much for reading, commenting, and most of all for taking my words to hear to realize you are AMAZING!

27. TheOrangeMask

July 11, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Just so you know, I also shared this on LinkedIn. It was a beautiful post written by an absolutely beautiful (inside…and especially outward!!!) person. Good entry.

July 11, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Aww Calvin! You’re making me blush – thank you!

28. katalysthealth

July 11, 2012 at 10:12 AM

This is seriously awesome!! Love that you actually wrote out that list. I dont think I could do something like that at this point in my life. I would need someone else too lol But this seriously is so admirable girl!

July 11, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Why couldn’t you do it?! You can DEF pat yourself on the back and say you rock. Maybe start with just 5 things?? I can already think of a few!

29. GOtheXtraMile

July 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I love this so much! You are amazing <3

July 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM

YOU are, Britt. You inspire me every day. Can’t wait to meet you in Boston!

30. Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups

July 11, 2012 at 11:11 AM

This is SO awesome! We all need to stop and give ourselves some love. It’s so easy to focus on the negative. Love the positivity! Side note: I see that you’re working AND getting your MBA. I’ll be in the same boat starting in the spring. I’ll definitely need to stay positive then!

July 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM

You can do it, lady!! It’s not too bad once you get into the routine – I recommend using your weekends for homework time!

31. Pingback: WIAW: Restaurant Photo Dump « Cait Plus Ate

32. Pingback: Amaze Yourself, You’re Worth It | Fighting for Wellness

33. foodfortheheart

July 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM

So I just had coffee and I am going to take out a bunch of energy by leaving an amazing comment!

I read this and at first was like.. wow she loves herself alright! But then I remembered I kind of just did the same thing by making a list of all that has happened to me good/bad in the last year! We HAVE to make lists like that to remind us why we are so special and amazing!

So congrats to have the confidence to do that. You deserve it. We are AMAZING people.. not because of all the things we listed but because we felt strong enough to get help and find ways of LIVING HEALTHY instead of making excuses for our problems!!!

SO I LOVE YOU FOR THAT AND I LOVE THAT YOU ARE MY SISTER. My sister… by sharing the same kind of struggles and finding OPPORTUNITY in MISFORTUNE!!!

I love all the AMAZING food you post and I want to thank you for taking the time to SHARE and ENJOY such wonderful food <3 <3

So glad I am getting back to my old self and I look forward to more posts!!! <3 <3 <3

July 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM

This is an amazing comment! So amazing, you are so right! Thank you for congratulating me on making this list because it really was big for me to not only do so but to post it. I am so glad to hear that you enjoy my posts and that they bring you any joy whatsoever. It’s so rewarding to hear that. Thank you for always reading! <333

34. Mai

July 11, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Loved the positive list! You are awesome, thanks for the inspiration!

35. Pingback: Myth-Busting: I Eat At Home! « Cait Plus Ate

36. Paige @ Running Around Normal

July 13, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I saw this on your Instagram and LOVED it. You ARE amazing, girl!!!

37. Meg

July 14, 2012 at 12:15 AM

This is incredible, my love <3 Absolutely incredible. Since you wrote this I have been WAITING and WAITING to comment and I finally can today! I am so proud of you for putting yourself "out there" and sharing why you are so amazing. This is a great thing to do to counteract/get rid of those negative thoughts <3 I love you Cait and am always here for you, hun <3 HUGS! Major hugs :)

Ok, now time to catch up on your other posts ;)

July 15, 2012 at 3:15 PM

You inspire me to be more open Meg!

38. Pingback: Some Self Lovin’ | Southern Charm

39. Pingback: All The Little Things | The Raw Serenity

40. Pingback: Fashion Friday « Cait Plus Ate

41. Pingback: I’m Amazing, Okay?

42. Pingback: Oatmeal Toppings Amazes Again!

43. Pingback: Active Rest Day: How I Did « Cait Plus Ate

44. Pingback: Marvelous Me!? | A Dash Of Meg

45. Pingback: Too Blessed To Be Stressed « Cait Plus Ate

46. sandyrubias

July 27, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Your handwriting’s really good! I think I’m going to do my my own affirmations, Caitlin. This post is an inspiration and exactly what we need when our spirits are low. Keep it up! :)

July 27, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Thanks! That was one of the things on my list haha

47. Pingback: Teachings of BlogHer ’12 « Cait Plus Ate

48. Pingback: From Blah to Blessed | For the Love of Kale From Blah to Blessed |

49. Pingback: Barcelona Patio Party! « Cait Plus Ate

50. Pingback: More Healthy Living Summit: Day 1 and Finding My Voice | Fighting for Wellness

51. Pingback: Healthy Living Summit 2012 – Part One « Cait Plus Ate

52. Pingback: Healthy Living Summit 2012 – Part Two « Cait Plus Ate

53. Pingback: Pinot Party & Bikram BBs | For the Love of Kale Pinot Party & Bikram BBs |

54. Pingback: life | colorado beauty [the final chapter] » the simple songbird.

55. Pingback: Weekend With My BB – Part One « Cait Plus Ate