#AmazingMe Monday

My Facebook giveaway for two tickets to CONNetic Dance‘s Suite & Spicy Nutcracker, appearing this weekend at the Wadsworth, will end tonight at 11:59PM EST. I highly encourage any CT readers to enter – I will be attending the matinee this Sunday myself!

Firstly, I want to acknowledge the fact that it is not only my own little alliteration-celebration (#AmazingMe Monday), but it is also Marvelous In My Monday (MIMM) hosted by the lovely Katie. Whatever I want to call this post, it’s gonna have a lot of positive in it, but big props to Katie to bringing awareness to the marvelous every Monday!

To say I adore her would be an understatement.

This post is starting out in a very different way than I thought it would when I first dreamed it up on Friday while at work. I left work that day and ended up getting into a car accident on my way to the gym. I rear ended a car in front of me, causing her to rear end the car in front of her. The two other cars sustained little damage, but the front of my car crumpled in like an accordion (what it’s meant to do – take all the impact) and had to be towed.

The only injury I sustained, thank goodness, was a bumped up knee and a slightly-sore neck. The other two people were fine and I could honestly not have been more blessed when it came to who I hit and the police officer that responded to the crash. These people hugged me as I sobbed and apologized over and over. The woman happened to be a nurse and bandaged my knee. The police officer chatted with me in his car and tried to cheer me up while we awaited the tow truck and my mom.

I keep thinking about how this accident was my fault, about how expensive it’s going to be to fix or replace (my car is potentially going to be declared totaled) the car that I love so much, how I was an inconvenience to those I hit and my parents, how pricey it will be to get a rental car once my sister gets home from school Wednesday and I can’t use her car anymore, how much my insurance is going to go up, how much WORSE this could have been…the list goes on.

But I’ve also learned some valuable lessons and received the boundless love of my family and friends. My parents already know I’ve been beating myself up enough and are trying to be as supportive as possible, and aren’t making me feel shittier for getting into the accident. My friends have expressed how grateful they are that I’m okay and how they have learned from my accident to be more careful on the road. All I can really do at this point is move on and face the consequences, monetary and emotional. It sounds cheesy and typical to say but – it could have been so much worse.

And now I’m going to continue the post I had planned for today, because I could use a little cheering up.

I want to take the time to give myself props and share with you all some very exciting things that have happened recently in relation to this blog. These are happenings I can add to my #AmazingMe list, mentally or literally – it doesn’t matter, so long as I remember them and use them whenever I am feeling down on myself to remind my sometimes-silly mind of why I am too blessed to be stressed…now more than ever!

Best of Hartford 2013

I was doing my usual Instagram thang a couple of Thursdays ago and received a comment from a fellow CT resident congratulating me on my Best of Hartford nomination. My what?! I immediately logged onto Hartford Magazine‘s Best of 2013 readers’ poll and checked the Local People category. Sure enough, I was listed under “Best Twitterer”!

IT’S ME!

I could hardly believe it! Nor could I believe the abundant congrats I received from everyone. 61 Instagram likes on a photo is probably the most I’ve gotten…ever. A like is a little thing but it’s a little thing that makes me feel supported!

I asked for folks to vote for me and to write my name in for Best Blogger if they felt I deserved it, and I guess they did because now I am also nominated in that category!

You can only vote once per person and voting doesn’t close for awhile (3/4/13), but if you feel I am deserving of either or both of these awards, please log on and vote for me! If you are not from the CT area but have visited before, you still may want to try voting because you only have to vote in 10 categories to be able to submit a ballot. And believe me, there’s a lot of categories.

Fitness Magazine Web Feature

I was contacted by the wonderful Karla of FITNESS Magazine recently to find out if I’d be interested in answering some interview questions that would be featured on their website. WOULD I?! I’ve seen other bloggers I admire featured in the Fit Bloggers We Love on The Fit Stop and couldn’t believe that it was my turn!

fitness1

Thanks Wendy!

Karla even did a great little write-up on me before my interview questions, so please take a moment to check out my feature if you haven’t yet. I can’t believe I’m on the website of one of my favorite magazines!

Have you ever been in a car accident?

What’s your latest #AmazingMe accomplishment? Tweet it to me and make sure you use the celebratory hashtag!

68 Responses to "#AmazingMe Monday"

1. IHeartVegetables

December 10, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I’m so sorry about the car accident :( I know that sucks, but at least everyone was ok and you were able to see the positives!!

CONGRATS On being featured!!! You’re so awesome and you totally deserve it :)

December 10, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Thank you!!! <3

2. Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots

December 10, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I am glad you are ok and everyone else involved was ok!! It is soo nerve racking getting into accidents but you just need to remind yourself that you and everyone else is ok and that is most important!! I voted for you when you posted it on ur fb or twitter I cannot remember which and of course checked out your awesome feature on fitness mag!!

December 10, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Thanks Kaitlin!!! I know that some people have already seen this stuff who are friends w/me on FB and Twitter but just wanted to share with the rest :) I appreciate your kind words about the accident.

3. Katie Z

December 10, 2012 at 9:51 AM

YOU, lady, are incredible. You totally deserve all the recognition you are getting lately, and I’m so proud! As for the accident, they certainly are scary. I was in my first fender-bender when I was 17, so I know how scary it is! You are right to just move on–things happen that suck, but if we learn lessons from it, then it was not in vein! Sometimes we just need a little check from life to remind us of how much we have to be thankful for!

December 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM

WORD Katie! I seriously am taking this as a blessing in disguise. I’ve learned lessons, I’ve been given renewed faith in how kind people can be, and I’ve been reminded more than I already was of how wonderful and supportive my loved ones are.

4. molly @ heart, sole & cereal

December 10, 2012 at 9:58 AM

ahhh such a high/low weekend for you! first of all – congrats on the best of hartford and all other accomplishments. you definitely deserve it! second of all, i’ve been in a few car accidents in my day and i know just how you feel. there’s nothing worse than that feeling (well, that might not be true, but not in my experience) and i’m glad you were able to at least look at the positives in what was an awful situation. and because i stalk you on instagram i know you got yourself a cocktail afterwards and i’m pretty sure that’s the best medicine :) i totaled my car a few years ago – some guy ran a red light and flipped my car when he t-boned me – and i was totally fine (amazingly) and as soon as i was humanly able i went to dinner with my dad and had a giant martini. i don’t care what anyone says – sometimes you just need some vodka.

December 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Hahah yes cocktails AFTER driving not before! OMG – flipping the car?! Crazy but wonderful that you were ok. Luckily my cocktail happened to be strong hahaha. The woman I hit even SUGGESTED I go get one! What a gem.

5. Alex @ therunwithin

December 10, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I am so glad you are ok, car accidents are so scary and stressful. have a great monday!

December 10, 2012 at 10:21 AM

You too Alex!!!

6. maria @ lift love life

December 10, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I’m so sorry about your car accident but I’m glad you’re okay! And HUGE congrats on being featured, you totally deserve it. Marvelous monday indeed! :)

December 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Thanks darling. I miss you!

7. sapphirelindsay

December 10, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I’m so glad you’re all right, Cait!

December 10, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Your truly are AMAZING!! My dear friend I’m so proud of you! I’m so happy to hear you are okay after the car accident! Love you!!!

December 10, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I love you too! and your hot blue dress in your latest FB pics. That’s my Lisa, lookin fab!

• Lisa

December 10, 2012 at 2:44 PM

You’re too kind. I forgot to add, duh I’m voting for you this second. And I love the article! Miss you a ton! We should skype chat soon!

December 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Le duh we should especially with that sign the Universe gave me about us Skyping! I will shoot you a text soon! The problem is that after dinner each night I pass out hahah

9. Claire

December 10, 2012 at 11:57 AM

So happy to hear you are safe girl. I had no idea!! I got in a car accident a couple of months ago and it was just a little fender bender but it made me absolutely hysterical, so I feel for you. You’re amazing and neither of those two awards surprise me at all. Thank god you’re safe and sound! <3

December 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Thank you Claire! I appreciate your support too sharing my voting link on your FB!

10. cleanfoodcreativefitness

December 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Sweetie so happy to hear you are okay. That must have been very scared but I am so happy you were blessed with no injuries and kind people. Don’t beat yourself up too much. Things happen and we always move on from them just a bit stronger! So happy you are safe and sound and congratulations on your major accomplishments :)

December 10, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Thank you Danielle! Is it funny that I was actually hoping you’d reply on this post? You’re just so positive and sweet and I knew a comment from you would cheer me up. And it did! Thanks again <3

11. pickyrunner

December 10, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I’m so sorry to hear about the accident but I’m even more glad you’re alright!! Congratulations on being featured and nominated! That’s incredible! I can only hope that my blog will become as successful as yours <3

December 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Aw that’s so sweet of you! Thank you for the congrats.

12. GOtheXtraMile

December 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Omg! I’m SO glad you’re okay. Although car accidents are super scary and suck, the most important thing is that nobody was hurt – especially you! Love you! <3

December 10, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Love you too! Good thing I will make it to you soon in one piece!

13. Ali

December 10, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I rear-ended someone a few weeks ago too, and for a reason I am so embarrassed about. It happens and you’re ok, that’s the most important thing! :)

Congrats on your recognitions, girl!

December 10, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Thank you Ali! And I feel you on the embarrassment thing. At least embarrassment fades over time right? Haha

14. Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale

December 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I was rear-ended in 2nd year. My car was totalled, but I only got some mild whiplash. I’m infinitely grateful that it wasn’t worse, butI still haven’t driven since that day. I’m so glad that you’re okay and that you’re doing your best to focus on the positives. They’re called accidents for a reason — no one plans them, they happen, we react and we move on. There’s nothing more you can ask of yourself other than strength and self-forgiveness. <3
    And congratulations on the features and nominations!! You're incredibly deserving! :D

December 10, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Aww Chelsie thank you so much. I know that you understand how hard it is for me to forgive myself in regards to anything – whether it be eating stuff or something so literally jolting as this. Have you still not driven since because you are afraid of another accident? I hope that if that’s the case one day you will jump over that hurdle – I know you will!

• Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale

December 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Yes and no. My car wasn’t driveable, and my license expired because I didn’t have a car with which to do the final driving test. So legally, I’m not allowed to drive anymore. However, I have absolutely no want or will whatsoever to get behind the wheel again. I don’t have any intention of buying a car anytime soon, so I don’t really see the point of a license that I’d need to renew etc, but never use. I’m not saying that I’ll never drive again, but just not right now.
        And you’re right, I do understand how hard it is to forgive oneself. But just like your belief in my ability to jump my hurdle, I have a completely equal belief in you to jump yours. <3

December 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Well if you are not ready to drive and don’t want to right now then that makes sense! This is totally unrelated but that’s how I feel about kids haha. People keep telling me that I’ll change my mind one day about not wanting them and I get annoyed. Like okay thanks for telling me I’ll change my mind, who cares, we are in this time right NOW. So it makes sense to not worry about wanting to drive someday, you know what you want right now.

15. Jenny C-T

December 10, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Oh, no! I’m sorry to read that you got into an accident. :( That’s the exact opposite of what someone needs during the holiday! I hope your bumped knee and sore neck recover quickly and am glad that those involved in the accident weren’t hurt!

Also, congrats on the recognition! I’ll definitely vote for you!

- Jenny

16. sloanepitman

December 10, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I’m so proud of you, Cait! I know how hard it can be to not beat yourself up about car accidents. I’ve caused my fair share, and they’ve certainly sent me into a self-injury and ED spiral, so I’m so glad you were able to pull yourself out of the funk. Car accidents happen to everyone, and you’re right–you’re so lucky that you’re okay and that no one was hurt.
    on a lighter note KUDOSSSS!!!!!!! Hannah told me you’d been nominated and I am SO voting for you! You’re amazing!!
    xoxo

December 10, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I am so jealous that you just told me Hannah told you that. I’m sure it was in person. UGH wish the 3 of us could hang out. Crawl into her suitcase, she comes home in 2 days! Plan, yes??
      I knew you’d understand about beating myself up. To be honest with you I was kicking myself as I sat in the police car waiting for my car to be towed, and I was stressing about missing the gym. Seriously?! I’m glad I was able to get past that and go out later that night for a strong cocktail and a meal that included bread. :D
      <3 you long time.

• sloanepitman

December 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Yes! I’ll totally hide in her bag!
        Proud of you dear! Strong cocktail is an excellent cure-all. I’ll be enjoying one tonight after work :)

December 10, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Me too! Well, wine. haha!

December 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM

glad to hear that you’re ok! it’s true – it could have been worse. But you definitely deserve a congrats on the nominations – you deserve it! I love seeing hard work get recognized <3

December 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Thanks Sam! It’s good timing for them b/c I can focus on them! haha

18. katiemoves

December 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I’m so glad you’re okay! and so awesome about all your recognition! <3

December 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Thanks Katie! Hope you are doing well!

19. Connie Du

December 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Oh noo, I’m glad you’re okay!! Don’t beat yourself up over it..no one was seriously injured and you learned your lesson! Congrats on getting nominated for Best Twitterer! I actually tried to vote for you when you first posted it, but it requires you to vote for at least 10 things?? I think I was leaving for class or something so I didn’t have time to redo it, but I’m glad this reminded me to do it again!

December 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Thanks Connie, I appreciate you sticking it out through the vote for 10 thing!

20. Tina Reale (@tinareale)

December 10, 2012 at 7:20 PM

You deserve all those things with the blog and the love and support! And I’m so glad you’re okay and everyone else was okay too with the accident.

December 11, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Thanks Tina! Your support means so much to me.

21. Linz

December 10, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Glad you’re ok, Cait! Car accidents are so scary!! Ugh never fun. And what an amazing me post you have – seriously, so much to be proud of!!

December 11, 2012 at 10:21 AM

:D thanks Linz! And thanks for all the rad workouts you’ve been posting!

22. Sharla

December 10, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Stop beating yourself up! These things ALWAYS happen! I flipped a jeep when I was 19 trying to save a bunch of drunk kids from driving (I was the only sober one…go figure). The important thing IS that you’re okay. Congrats on your awesome accomplishments ;)

December 11, 2012 at 10:21 AM

That’s crazy Sharla! I told my mom that story after I saw this comment. She couldn’t believe it. We are both lucky!

23. Brittany Trentham (@batrentham)

December 10, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I’m so glad you are okay after your accident!! Accidents can be so scary! Congrats for your all your blog accomplishments. You deserve them!

24. Heather @ For the Love of Kale

December 10, 2012 at 7:59 PM

OMG. I’m SO proud of you bb. GAH. i love you so much.

25. Pappa Don't Preach

December 10, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I was so sad to hear about your accident but it happens to the best of us. I’ve been in a few myself and while it’s quite a shake up, it’s also a great time to count your blessings! xo

December 11, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Like great blends like you :)

26. Mai

December 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM

i really believe that everything happens for a reason, and am really glad to hear that you are fine!

December 11, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Thanks Mai! I think it happened for a reason too

27. Steph @ Steph's Miles

December 10, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I’m sorry about your fender bender. Trust me, there is a reason for everything and be thankful for the circumstances. A year ago a drunk driver almost totaled my car when I was at a stop light with three of my friends in the car. It was the best scenario it could be. An emergency vehicle and cop car were in the center lane and witnessed the whole thing as they were changing shifts. I’m glad you’re ok. Kudos to you for focusing on the positive in this post! Congrats on all your acknowledgements!

December 11, 2012 at 9:42 AM

That is crazy Steph! Clearly everything was in the right place at the right time to stop the drunk driver.

28. Asuma

December 11, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I’m so glad that you’re safe!!! I was a bit sad to hear that you’ve been beating yourself up though…. From what little I know about you, you blame yourself too much for a lot of things; more than you should and even for things that aren’t totally your fault. I know this is easier said than done, but please remember that you don’t have to push yourself so hard, and you are always doing the best that you can at that moment. It is good to reflect back once in a while and realise some of the mistakes we have made, but we need to move on. I’m just happy that you’re good and safe, and that you’re surrounded by such amazing people :) Reminded me to be thankful of my family and friends too!

December 11, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Thanks Asuma – your reminders and those of others have worked wonders and I really appreciate you always looking out for me! I also can see that sharing my story has inspired folks to appreciate what they have like you said, and that’s a great thing.

29. Pingback: Long Overdue Liebster Awards! « Cait Plus Ate

30. Kristin @ My Mission Impossible

December 11, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Ahh, I was rear ended this weekend! Same thing, could have been much worse…a lot of damage for such a little accident though…anyways, so glad you’re okay….and voted for you a while ago, you deserve all your recent recognition…love ya! Now I’m off to read your feature :)

December 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Thanks girl! So weird that we were both in accidents. Perhaps the gods didn’t look down kindly upon cottage cheese lovers this weekend.

31. Becki

December 12, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I’m so glad you’re okay! I was in a pretty bad car accident when I was younger and I know how important it is to have supportive family and friends while you’re so shaken up.

Bad things aside, congratulations on your nomination! :-)

December 12, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Thank you Becki!

32. greensandcoffeebeans

December 13, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Oh no! I’m glad you’re okay! You’re not alone though, I passed 5 rear-end accidents on the highway my way home today (and it’s only a 3 hour drive!).
    I was in an accident 3 years ago, I was t-boned and my car was totaled so I know it’s not a fun experience. It was close to Christmas too so it took forever for the accident report and insurance stuff to get filed. I got a new(er) car out of it though.
    And congrats on the nomination, that’s awesome!

December 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM

That’s awful! Yeah, the cop said that I was the 3rd accident in the last half hour and we heard about 3 more the half hour after that. So it was a rough night to be out, so dark and rainy. Not that it gives me an excuse!
      I am glad that I get to keep my same car b/c I love it, but I def am glad this didn’t happen any closer to xmas! It’d slow down the whole process. Looks like I’ll have my fixed car before 12/25!