WIAW: The Olden Days

Your comments on yesterday’s post seriously blew me away! And my mom too – I read some aloud to her and she was pleasantly surprised by the fact that some of you called her inspiring. Thank you so much for your support and for sharing your own struggles with feeling inadequate about doing “enough” cardio. Together we can learn to love and congratulate ourselves for WHATEVER workout we do, be it HIIT or a gorgeous afternoon walk!

And after that workout, it’s perfectly acceptable to drink wine in our workout clothes.

Now it’s time for a BLAST FROM THE PAST edition of What I Ate Wednesday. Thanks Jen for hosting the WIAW party each week!

If you’ve read my About Me you may recall that I didn’t really like much of…anything…until I went to college and had a dining hall of free unlimited food to expand my palate. I thought it’d be fun to show you all what I ate for each meal and my snacks around the elementary/middle school eras. Sadly there isn’t much difference between those two time periods.

Breakfast

I ate one fat-free Jello chocolate pudding cup each morning, while half asleep. I had no appetite for anything else and barely any appetite for that. This probably is why to this day I’m still not a big breakfast person. Pretty funny that I still eat these now, but after dinner!

Also always enjoyed a glass of skim milk with ANYTHING I ate. Source

Lunch

Needless to say after looking at my breakfast, I was hungry for lunch by, oh, about 10am. I was often seen eating my lunch in class because I couldn’t make it til the lunch period. I had the same thing for lunch every. single. day. from 1st to 12th grade.

No I didn’t eat a baby sandwich but I think this is hilarious. Source

My mom was a choosy mom.

Two reduced-fat Jif creamy PB sandwiches on white Wonder Bread – crust cut-off OR I WOULDN’T TOUCH IT. Now I’m obsessed with interesting PB (no reduced fat for me), hearty wheat breads, and all manner of crusts (preferably burnt). Oh how times have changed. Oh, and whenever my mom tried to sneak me a bread other than white Wonder Bread, be it partially wheat or just a different brand of white bread, I could ALWAYS tell and gave her shit about it when I got home from school. I was a jerk.

I also had a Ziploc bag full of exactly five saltine crackers. Again, I could always tell if they weren’t the above brand. My poor mother. I ate them so strangely…you know the little “bubbles” on each cracker? I’d scrape those off with my teeth first and eat them. Oddball.

Now these just scream stomach bug to me. Source

And for dessert I had a number of options I’d find packed in my lunch (Mom always packed my lunch even until 12th grade, embarrassing, and in a brown bag too). Mini candy bars or Chips Ahoy chocolate chip cookies were common choices.

And again, ever-present skim milk. I hated drinking out of the cafeteria cartons! No I did not dip my cookies into the milk. I mean it’s hard to do that with a carton, but I never would have anyway.

Snacks

In a desperate effort to get a fruit in me, my mom almost always had me eat a banana daily since it was the only fruit I’d touch. Same goes for baby carrots – only veggie I was willing to eat! I also loved snacking on Tostitos and anything sweet – if I was at a friend’s house. We didn’t really keep much in the name of sweets in my house.

Dinner

Often I ate the very same two crust-less PB sandwiches for dinner. But sometimes I’d go crazy and have…

True life: it’s nearly impossible to find an image of plain buttered pasta online, probably because it is just not the way to eat it. Source

Mashed potatoes, butter ONLY. Source

Nothing but butter on this, thank you. Source

Lots and lots and LOTS of white carbs. One thing that hasn’t changed…carbs are still my fave. And yes I love wheat bread, but dammit white carbs are fabulous.

Smug asiago roll lover.

And if we went out to a Mexican restaurant, I’d just eat all the chips in the beginning, and order a side of french fries as my meal.

No way did I touch that salsa though. Source

These were also all I’d eat from a fast food place…unless it was breakfast, during which I ate Cini Minis from BK or hash browns. Source

I loved eating out at restaurants too because I could order THEIR milk aka WHOLE milk. It was so creamy and wonderful, and it was a special occasion when I got to order a second glass. I also usually felt sick afterward, ha.

Dessert

I LOVED Publix ice cream sandwiches when we lived in Florida, but I was also a big fan of Dove milk chocolates! Sometimes after my parents went to bed I’d go sneak chocolates…ha. Of course ice cream was always a joy to – but nothing other than vanilla. Kinda like me.

So artificial they call them “vanilla flavored”. And so good. Source

I loved the messages on the inside of the wrapper! Source

I now have a serious ice cream craving. Source

Just goes to show you…

What you eat as a child CERTAINLY doesn’t determine how you’ll grow up food-wise! There is always time to try new food and expand the palate (I’m talking to YOU Sarah! ;-)) so if you have little ones who won’t touch veggies or refuse to eat their bread with crusts (oh wait was that just me? Dammit.) fear not because there is hope that they will grow up to be everythingarians like me!

Were you a picky eater as a kid? How about now?

What’s the BIGGEST difference in your diet between today and 10 years ago?

55 Responses to "WIAW: The Olden Days"

1. hannah-vol

January 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM

hahahah i remember you eating all of these things like it was yesterday. i still enjoy many of these snackies.

January 16, 2013 at 1:57 PM

YAY thanks for commenting. Notice the Dove sneaking shoutout.

2. Alex @ therunwithin

January 16, 2013 at 2:11 PM

this is really fun to read because you really remind me of my sister. she was super picky. i still love thinking about what I ate when I was little. I would eat anything and I mean anything. my sister on the other hand we always had to pack her a little bag with syrian bread and peanut butter when we went to a restaurant. probably why I hate all nut butters because it is all my sister would eat, that and pasta (plain of course). My sister and I both never ate breakfast. I went through a phase in middle school where I ate breakfast but never before that.

January 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Hahaha lucky for my parents there were fries at almost every restaurant for me to order or buttered pasta! IdK about your nut butter hating theory b/c I still eat PB daily after eating it so often as a child! I could never tire of it!

3. Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots

January 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM

knowing how you eat now I am ASTOUNDED that that is how you once ate. It also proves how much our pallet grows as we get older

January 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I am living proof!

4. Susan

January 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I was a picky eater (and still am) about certain things. If I happened to get a gristle or piece of fat in my mouth, I was (and still am) done eating. If I can see too much fat on something (let’s say prime rib), I couldn’t eat it. Other than that, I was pretty open to eating anything (which explains my thighs –kidding!…sort of!)

My little brother, however, refused to eat anything after “breakfast” foods unless it was drowned in ketchup. I do mean everything. Green beans? Ketchup on top! Mac & cheese? Side of ketchup please! Steak? A1-smay-one — ketchup please! He still loves ketchup but he has stopped putting it on everything. I’m glad about this because it always made me think food was bleeding and then I couldn’t eat.

The biggest difference between my diet today and 10 years ago is I drink a whole lot less vodka. Hah. What can I say — I was 21!

January 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I hate getting gristle in a steak! I always order filet because I hate it so much. I used to dislike ketchup but my little cousin was obsessed. We always joked we’d get him a jar of ketchup for every birthday and holiday! I remember that weird ketchup they came out with that was purple and green. IDK how that was appetizing. HA I used to drink a lot of vodka when I first started drinking, it was the only liquor I’d drink. Now it’s def not a fave but I like high quality versions.

January 16, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Oh yes, I was THE pickiest eater of all time when I was a kid! My diet consisted of white bread, white pasta, peanut butter, yogurt, banana, frozen peas and strawberries. That is literally all I’d eat. My parents wanted to kill me I’m sure. I was SO unhealthy. I once stayed at my friends house for a week…and didn’t eat for 3 days because they didn’t have any of that food haha. I was insane. So yes, our palette totally changes as we get older! Thank goodness. I think we could’ve been picky eater twins.

January 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM

It’s so funny how similar we are! Except I wouldn’t touch yogurt or frozen peas or strawberries. My sis ate frozen peas on white bread tho like as a sandwich! I used to totally just not eat instead of eating food I didn’t like. And most of those foods I hadn’t even tried!

6. Becki @ Fighting for Wellness

January 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM

How much fun was it to write this post?! I can’t wait to do one like it, but I’m going to have to really give it some thought to do it justice. :-)

• Meg @ A Dash of Meg

January 16, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I’m totally doing one like this, too, Becki! :)

January 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM

SO FUN. I can’t wait to see yours!

January 16, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I definitely wasn’t a veggie fan and my mom made me sit at my dinner table until I finished my plate. So my food got cold. And I still had to eat it. I learned quick to choke down whatever I didn’t like quick before it was fridge temp! ;)

January 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Hahaha at least she got you to eat it fast!

8. Sloane @ Life Food and Beer

January 16, 2013 at 5:23 PM

This post reminds me of my sister! And now my brother in law! They are the pickiest eaters. No fruits or veggies and lots of carbs. I was the kid that would eat anything and everything. I’m so scared to have kids because I’m worried they will be like her.

January 17, 2013 at 11:28 AM

It’s still my little brother! But he eats more protein than I ever ate. At least he likes wings!

January 16, 2013 at 5:39 PM

This makes me laugh so much! I was definitely a picky eater as a kid, but I don’t think I was quite that bad. I would have a bowl of cereal in the morning (I can’t even remember what kinds I liked…fruit loops? cinnamon toast crunch and corn pops were up there. And Trix. And lucky charms, but I would just eat the marshmallows) lunch was usually a sandwich (until I decided that I hated sandwiches), a pudding cup, and fruit. I would not eat dinner if it contained: beef of any sort or tomato sauce. My request was always chicken fingers! I’d eat any dessert I could get my hands on, but I remember Neopolitan ice cream being a favourite in my house – except I wouldn’t eat the strawberry,

Needless to say, things have changed!

January 17, 2013 at 11:28 AM

The only cereal I liked was Frosted Flakes! Oh the pudding cup, such a classic lunchtime staple. My brother still eats chicken fingers for din most nights!

10. Sarah @PickyRunner

January 16, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Bahahahha wow you were pickier than me, hard to believe!! I don’t remember my breakfasts but I feel like they were frozen waffles or something. Homemade cheese pizza for lunch everyday (with carrots), goldfish and carrots and tang for snack after school, and my mom used to force me to eat whatever they had for dinner. It doesn’t mean I ate more than two bites. Buttered pasta all the way. I ate hamburgers too. Living large ;)
    This is awesome, girl. I actually thought about doing a post like this but then I realized it would look the same as I eat now haha

January 17, 2013 at 11:29 AM

TOLD YOU! there’s always hope for you! My little brother likes eating the frozen pancakes on teh weekends. LOL you should do a post like this still anyway as a funny joke.

11. Connie @ Livin' Lean

January 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Haha what a fun twist on WIAW!! I wasn’t a picky eater when I was a kid, but we ate a lot of the same things. In high school, I never ate lunch (cause I wanted to save my lunch money hahaha) and would eats chips, ramen, or whatever I could get my hands on after school. Saltines are THE best. My bread of choice when I was younger was potato bread..I don’t even remember what it tastes like. I haven’t had it in so long! I’m so glad to see you have expanded your palate ;)

January 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM

My ex bf used to do the same thing – he’d pocket his lunch money and not eat or mooch! I love potato bread but only tried it a few years ago!

12. Mai

January 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM

really fun post to read! and crazy how different your diet is now!

January 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Glad you enjoyed again :D

13. molly @ heart, sole & cereal

January 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM

seriously love this post! do you mind if i steal the idea for my WIAW next week? i love thinking back on what i ate…it was eerily similar to what you ate though. it’s amazing to me how i even survived. the day i started eating crusts on my bread was such a huge day for me. what in the hell was i thinking? and i love white carbs too. nothing like white rice piled with butter. perhaps i like white carbs so much because they’re always the best vehicle for butter? i love butter…

• Meg @ A Dash of Meg

January 16, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I AM STEALING IT TOO!!

January 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM

NOT at all! Steal away! I know right, how did I not feel dragging the whole time and just…blah? NOw I will sometimes ONLY eat crusts, haha! Butter is great, I love interesting butters at some restaurants.

14. Angela @ Beauty in Strength

January 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM

LOVE this post! It brought back so many great memories….Do you remember the Chips Ahoy Sprinklins? They were Chips Ahoy with sprinkles on them, and they were amazing. Oh, and they came in sleeves, not in trays like now. lol

January 17, 2013 at 11:32 AM

WHAT! I don’t remember those but if I’d known about them I would’ve been begging my mom to buy them.

15. Meg @ A Dash of Meg

January 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM

ONE OF YOUR CUTEST POSTS EVERRRRRR I SOOOOOO TOTALLY LOVED THIS AND…….. surprise surprise…… I have so much to say ;)

Ok, let’s gooooooooooo!

I was ALWAYS a huge breakfast eater :) I honest to goodness ate 7 eggs for breakfast and three slices of toast pretty much each morning :) However, my toast ALWAYS had the crust on, but it was white believe it or not! Oh, my Dad tried and tried to get me to eat grainy bread, but I would make gagging noises at him. Oh, Meg. Silly, Meg. Your Daddy was sooooo right.

I also drank milk for every single meal. It was 2%, though.

I was completely obsessed with macaroni. My Mom made the BEST macaroni ever, but KD also did the trick ;) I often said I would eat it for every meal if I could. Now, I can’t even remember the last time I had KD. Seriously. No idea when.

My family has never been a dessert type of family. My Dad hates sweets, so my Mom never bought or made anything dessert-like. However, I would snack every night before bed on pickles and cheese OR soda cracker and jam “sandwiches” hahahaha. Cute. Oh, the memories!

I think you inspired me to reflect and write my own post :) Is that cool with ya chick? ;)

Love you, BFF

January 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Oh babe PLEASE steal this idea and I love your long reply!!! My Meg, always the big breakfast eater. Mmmm macaroni! I loved elbow pasta with butter. It was my favorite kind to have because the butter would pool liquidy inside the noodles, yeah hahaha. Those jam sandwiches sound yummy! PIckles, ohhh you know i love it!

16. Laura

January 16, 2013 at 11:24 PM

It’s crazy how much our eating/ lifestyle habits change as we mature. I thought I was a picky eater, but maybe not as picky as you :P
    I miss how carefree I was about food!

January 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I hear that all the time – and I thought I was a picky kid! I miss it too, Laura. I never thought about food that much. I feel like kids just listen to their bodies and let whatever happens happen.

17. Asuma

January 17, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Haha, I could almost imagine the kid Caitlin scraping those crackers! I’ve never had buttered pasta though; just never occurred to me. Is it a common thing in the US?

January 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I think it is for kiddos!

18. Miranda @ Biting Life

January 17, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Oh my god, this is hilarious!!! I love this idea — I might have to steal it! My eating habits have definitely changed a lot throughout my life. For me, I see my life as having four distinct periods of my life where I ate differently: birth-middle school, high school, my freshman year of college, and now.

I can’t believe you ate the same thing for lunch for that many years!! I have a lot of things that I eat over and over again, but I don’t think I could do that, haha.

January 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Please steal it! I wanna see what everyone used to eat!

19. Jessie

January 17, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Ha Ha, what a fun post to read! Isn’t it crazy the changes that happen as you get older.

January 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM

For the better!

20. Julie @ twosaucysisters.wordpress.com

January 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM

When I was a kid, I hated salad! My mom served it with almost every meal (maybe the reason I disliked it so much?). Sometimes she let me get away with just having broccoli and ranch dressing, but usually not. Now, salad is one of my favourite meals! Big giant ones with really cool toppings. :) Things I also used to hate that I love now are mushrooms, squash, peas and green beans and red apples.

January 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Mmm I’m obsessed with salad now! It makes me sad to think how long I went w/out it! Ha!

21. Brittany@twosaucysisters

January 17, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I was a super picky eater when I was a kid. I wouldn’t eat broccoli, oaranges, basically any squash-like vegetable, I drank milk because I was forced to, heck, I didn’t even like to eat peanut butter all that much! I disliked most pasta, hated peas, and hated egg yolks. I was a candy fanatic, though, and would often sneak candy when I got home (if we happened to have it in the house)- probably the reason why I don’t like a lot of candy nowadays, I ate way too much of it!

January 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM

At least I liked milk! I totally sneaked candy but we rarely had it at home.

22. Wendy

January 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM

You leave me with HOPE for my picky, white food obsessed daughter! THANK YOU!

January 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Hahah glad I could! My mom is still shocked by what I’ll eat now.

23. Caitlin

January 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Holy toledo!! I used to do karate with you way back in the day at Villiari’s! It’s funny how liking Chocopologie would lead me here. How exciting!

January 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Whoa, crazy!!! I am totally blanking right now…what was your last name?! Are you on Twitter?

January 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I’m on FB, my last name is Carbonell (Haven’t gotten a ring from my bf of 5 1/2 years… yet!)

January 24, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I can’t find you on FB! Find me and add me?!

24. Meg @ A Dash of Meg

February 5, 2013 at 8:51 AM

copying this post tomorrow ;)

25. Niamh

February 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I used to be the exact same! Even when my parents would bring me out to a chinese or some other restaurant I always ordered the chips!! Strange, because my mam used to/and still does eat everything at least once. I loved looking back to what you ate as a child!

February 6, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Your blog’s name is so cute! Thanks, I’m so glad you liked the post :)

26. Pingback: WIAW: When I was in College