Marvelous Mohegan Trip!

Tonight is your last chance to enter my Nancy Rose Performance giveaway for a new workout outfit! Entries close at 11:59PM EST. Seems as if it’s been eons since my last Marvelous In My Monday (MIMM) post. I haven’t taken the time to sit down and write one since before all my holiday travels! But this past Saturday night certainly calls for a recap. My good friend Molly came home (we grew up a few houses away from each other) from Boston so we could spend time together in CT. Turns out my parents planned a spontaneous overnight at Mohegan Sun Casino for that very same evening…and they let us tag along.

Will you be joining Katie’s link-up this week?

We got ready in the hotel room and headed downstairs to grab a snack, since dinner reservations were late. I knew Molly would adore Tuscany and we had a cheese plate craving so we selected that as our first stop of the night. I had the Perfectly Pear Martini (Absolut Pear, Martini & Rossi Asti) which earned its name thanks to the bartender doing a great job of fulfilling my request for just the tiniest splash of sour apple pucker (it was supposed to come with more). Molly was pleased by her Rye Sour…and the prompt bread-and-dips (white bean puree and olive tapenade) service.

1-11-14-mohegan1

The antipasto snack was absolutely perfect – gorgonzola, grilled artichokes, prosciutto, fig jam, marinated zucchini, and whole grain mustard. And lots of that bread. My dad came to join us for some eventually!

1-11-14-mohegan2

We hit the craps tables after that and I taught Molly how to play. So of course I lost my $20 and she doubled hers! At least we got free champagne out of it. I ended up finding out that my coworker Brenda and her fiance were at the casino for dinner, so we met up with them for a drink.

1-11-14-mohegan4

I got my dress on sale for just $22 at Nordstrom in Florida!

I selected Ballo for our dinner spot and family friends came to join Molly, my parents, and I. I loved the food last time I ate there and knew everyone else would too! The menu has something for everyone. Including BABY CABBAGES! I ordered a side of Brussels with honey and pancetta to go along with my roasted beet salad with sea scallops. I’m so glad I did! My greatest regret is that with no fridge in the room I couldn’t take my meals leftovers home. Damn fiber filled me up and I couldn’t finish!

Molly and I agreed these were some of the best Brussels sprouts she and I had ever had.

After dinner we all wanted to dance – my parents included! But they didn’t want to pay a cover, so Molly and I headed without them into Mohegan’s newest club, Avalon. I wish we hadn’t gone in and paid that money ($20 each!) because we ended up meeting up with my parents afterward at a cover-less dancing location, Landsdowne Irish Pub. Avalon was just too dark and the strobe lights were seriously ridiculous. Plus the bartenders were not happy about giving me free water. I refuse to pay $5 for a Voss, sorry!

The only good selfie we could manage in Avalon!

The only good selfie we could manage in Avalon!

Dancing at Landsdowne was way better – not too dark, less weird remixes, and of course my parents made it all the more fun.

1-11-14-mohegan14

I love this shot for some reason!

1-11-14-mohegan12

I suppose this is how we dance.

1-11-14-mohegan13

Get that selfie on, madre!

1-11-14-mohegan11

Dad and Mom, workin it. I got her that sweater for Christmas!

1-11-14-mohegan9

Molly and my mom have known each other for years, but going out together is probably not something she ever thought they’d do!

Eventually we got danced out (actually my feet did, in my heels…) so Molly and I set off in search of dessert. We went to Summer Shack because I knew they had a late night menu, and lucky for me they also had port…and apple crisp with vanilla ice cream! It was a perfect end to the evening.

Actually the perfect end to the evening was being able to take an elevator upstairs and fall into bed! This was my first visit to Mohegan when I was going out AND staying over, and it was awesome. I certainly wish I had enough money to do it on my own…and frequently at that! But it was such a special evening that doesn’t often come along. I think that’s why I was able to just eat and drink what I wanted. And I didn’t even drink or eat too much, so it was great to prove to myself that just because I allow myself to let loose and have a good time does not equate to going overboard! I drank plenty of water, didn’t wake up hungover (from alcohol OR greasy/sugary food), and still made it to the gym the next day. I’d call the night a marvelous success and I’m so happy I was able to share it with my parents and Molly, such a long-time best friend!

IMG_9092

When was your last casino trip?

Do you ever gamble at the casino, or are you more into the bar and restaurant scene there?

What was most marvelous in your weekend?

39 Responses to "Marvelous Mohegan Trip!"

1. Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie

January 13, 2014 at 9:53 AM

How fun!! I want to go there next time I’m in Connecticut!

2. Susan

January 13, 2014 at 9:54 AM

My last casino trip was in..umm..2012. HuBs and I went there for our anniversary and stayed 3 days (big spenders — totally got the rooms for free because of an inside connection). I like gambling, but I’m a penny slots kind of girl. HuBs plays the roulette tables but I’m way too tight with my funds to go that route. The most marvelous thing about my weekend was being able to stay home Sunday. I needed it and probably need about 10 more days of the exact same thing!

January 13, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I know what you mean; I can’t WAIT to stay home tonight! And I know penny slots are cheaper but they are so dull. I’d rather lose $20 on craps and at least have some excitement doing so! :P

3. Julie

January 13, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Last trip to Mohegan was Dec 2013 to see TranSiberyan Orchestra. Got there early to poke around the shops, play a few slots and see the holiday decor, which was beautiful. Show was great. Been to Mohegan for several concerts – no bad seats!

January 13, 2014 at 10:12 AM

The holiday decor there is fantastic! I wished it was still up this past weekend.

4. Carrie @ poet in the pantry

January 13, 2014 at 10:16 AM

What a fun trip!

I have never stayed overnight at the casinos. Would love to, but it never seems worth the cost. Usually we would go for an overnight trip to the slot machines…arrive around 11PM, stay til 6AM. But it’s been a very long time since I’ve done that–maybe 12 years or so. I found I prefered spending my money on things I’d get to keep. That said, on my first trip to the casino, I brought $50 with me, won $330 in the first 15 min, and put that in my other pocket and took it home. My $50 kept me entertained all night, and that $330 became my downpayment for the church for our wedding. Ha!

January 13, 2014 at 11:14 AM

I was fortunate enough to have someone else hosting me both times I’ve stayed over so I totally feel you! That is hilarious that you won your wedding venue down payment at the casino, hahaha.

5. Megan (The Lyons' Share)

January 13, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Yay for you! You look beautiful and I’m glad you had fun! I actually love casinos, too – your $20 style is right up my alley … I love playing, but I’m not the type to put my whole life savings out on the table :). Plus, casinos (and the bars and restaurants that surround) are always great for people-watching, one of my specialties :).

January 13, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I did see some interesting characters! Casino people watching is great.

6. Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots

January 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM

sounds like a fantastic evening! I meant to tell you about Lansdowne, its Jeff’s favorite place to go in Boston! I love that your parents wanted to go dancing with you! That dessert definitely seems like the best way to end a night!

January 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM

I would love to go there next time I’m in Boston. The Mohegan version ended up being so fun!

7. cait @pieceofcait

January 13, 2014 at 10:51 AM

what a fun weekend!! My sister has gone there numerous times with her UConn friends & I learned a bit about Mohegan sun & foxwoods in my casino management class.

January 13, 2014 at 11:15 AM

That sounds like such an intriguing class! I used to go too with my UConn friends, but never stayed over. Driving back was always a huge pain!

8. Brittany Leigh

January 13, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I’m obsessed with your dress! It looks fabulous on you!

January 13, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Thank you!! I couldn’t believe the price!

January 13, 2014 at 12:04 PM

So fun! Looks like a great weekend. I LOVE craps, you don’t find many other ladies our age who know how to play. I grew up a few hours west of Vegas, and I miss going more regularly. Since I have moved east, I have heard a lot of great things about Mohegan Sun – I am definitely going to look into how to get there from DC!

January 13, 2014 at 1:18 PM

If you go you better tell me when so I can come hang with you! I love that you know craps too. And lived near Vegas, the best place I’ve EVER visited!

10. Alex @ therunwithin

January 13, 2014 at 12:18 PM

why is your family such a blast??? I could never get my mom or dad to just let loose like this. I swear i get my lack of party side from them. haha!

January 13, 2014 at 1:17 PM

I’m pretty lucky! They don’t go out a lot but when they don’t have to drive home and have a hotel room a few floors up to crash in, they will go out!

11. Davida @ The Healthy Maven

January 13, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Your parents are actually adorable! Not a chance in hell could I get mine to dance with me…well I could after a few drinks come to think of it.

Glad you were able to get away and eat more baby cabbages! Is it normal that I now associate you with brussels sprouts??

January 13, 2014 at 2:02 PM

They definitely had a few drinks in them so there you go! And I think it’s super normal seeing as I’m eating them as I type this comment.

January 13, 2014 at 2:11 PM

I’m glad that you were able to have fun and enjoy yourself! Our bodies really are self-regulating, so when we really listen to them we don’t end up with too little or too much ;-)
    As for Casinos, I’ve only been to them a handful of times. I stick to penny slots for the actual gambling, because i’m too afraid of losing money at the tables. Although my second time in a casino I won $250 off of one machine…I’ve just been trying to recreate that ever since!

January 13, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I am not sure how likely it is to happen again soon, haha!

13. Missy

January 13, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Your parents seem like the funnest parents EVER. I have been thinking that for a whil but now it is 100% confirmed. They had me at at the words Spontaneous overnight.

I’ve actually never been to a casino before… I kind of want to keep it that way because it is the only vice I haven’t explored. LOL.

January 13, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I keep getting told how awesome they are which makes me realize all the more how lucky I am!

January 13, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I’m so glad you had a blast! Reading this makes me want to go there someday! I’ve yet to visit a casino but I’d go for the restaurants. Your parents are so much fun, ha I wish mine were a little more social at times. But most importantly, I’m happy for you in that you let go and lived in the moment. The best kind of night :)

January 13, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Parents who go out dancing are hard to come by, but for mine they will do it if the timing is right and if there is no driving involved!

15. Jenna

January 13, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I LOVE your dress! You look amazing :) also, I’ve never had baby cabbages before and every time I read your blog, you make them look so delicious! Haha
    I’ve never been gambling at a casino before, but I am going to vegas with my best friend in March, so I’m hoping that’s a good place to go for my first time! :)

January 13, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Vegas is my favorite place I’ve EVER visited. Let me know if you want any food/attraction/hotel recs!

16. mindy

January 13, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Your parents are so adorable! They look so funny and I can’t believe you got them to dance with you!!
    The last time I went to Mohegan was actually in December 2013! It was beautiful there at the time! I have yet to try gambling, but I will have the chance to when I turn 18 in March though I’ll probably hold of on that until I am a bit older/richer hehe!

January 13, 2014 at 4:05 PM

I think you have to be 21 to gamble…I could be wrong though!

17. Arman @ thebigmansworld

January 13, 2014 at 6:13 PM

I love how you hang out with your folks- when I come visit I’m hanging out with them too, deal? I’ll bring a bunch of baby cabbages to say thanks ;)

We have one main casino here but it’s the biggest tourist hub- and my luck is nonexistent! I can';t wait for you to see my blogger association post part 2 in the coming weeks… you probably already could work out your association ;)

January 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM

I bet I can! Brussels and Booze? If I ever change my name from Cait I’ll have to rename my blog and that is what I will name it!

18. Maria @ Pappa Don't Preach

January 13, 2014 at 6:47 PM

I’m so glad you got the baby cabbages at Ballo! They’re amazeballs!! I can’t believe you didn’t see Renata! She had dinner at Ballo on Saturday night and she went to Landsdown afterwards! Crazy small world, huh!? And I absolutely adore your mom breaking it down on the dance floor!

January 14, 2014 at 12:37 PM

I honestly may have seen her but haven’t seen enough pics of her to remember what she looks like!

January 13, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Honestly, I cannot remember the last time I went to the casino…A few years ago I think.. ha. Looks like fun thought :0

January 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM

You and Nick would like it and they have a play arcade for B!

20. Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate

January 14, 2014 at 2:46 AM

I absolutely adore your dress and hair in these pics! And you know how I feel about those Brussels… ;-)

January 25, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I love that your parents go out so much.. they look like a blast to go out with! And those brussels.. oh my!