That Augustana Song

You know the song I’m talking about…

I’ve been being all mysterious about my future, a waiting game, etc. Well I’m happy to report that today I can finally spill to you guys. While the job I held for 2 years and 7 months has been good to me, and while I have learned a lot there, it has not fulfilled my passions. I think it’s easy to see what those are. Food, restaurants, wine, cocktails, fitness, marketing, social media, all things digital. That’s why I’ve been on the hunt since this past May for a job that is more me, in an industry in which I could truly see myself building a career.

Thanks to a connection and this blog (I started this blog partially to serve as a walking/talking resume, and it has done just that for me), I can announce today that I have put in my two weeks notice with my current employer. I’m going to be starting a new job in digital marketing in the wine industry and am moving away from Connecticut…to work in Boston.

Don't mind the blatantly fake Chanel.

Please disregard the blatantly fake Chanel.

I am absurdly excited that all the hard work I’ve put into this blog and my job search has paid off! I’m also absurdly anxious to find an apartment so that I can finalize exactly when I am moving. Thankfully I already have appointments set up this coming Saturday to check out some places near the office. I want to be able to live (and find a gym) close by so I can do as much walking as possible, with a bit of T-riding to supplement. And no I don’t plan on becoming a bike person, because the idea of riding a bike in Boston traffic petrifies me.

I also kinda look like a doofus in a helmet.

I also kinda look like a doofus in a helmet. Yes that is obviously my Tennessee Dad pulling a Gossip Girl book cover in this selfie.

If anyone with experience in the Boston area has any advice about apartment hunting, gyms, or just general Boston life…please let me know! I already know I’m looking to live alone (introvert over here) in the Allston/Brighton area, and have scouted out a few potential gyms. Priorities there? Group fitness classes and A STAIR MASTER. I even started packing up a bunch of stuff already (including many blog-relate food freebies which I’m very glad now to have on hand!) and in the process have been throwing out/donating a lot as well, so this whole thing feels pretty cleansing.

But also stressful. I am so very grateful that finally my dream job has come along. But I cannot help but feel so scared of breaking my routine and building a new one. What if I miss workouts? End up living off of takeout? Drink ALL THE WINE? Visit ALL THE RESTAURANTS? Will I gain weight? Will I have to buy new pants? I feel shallow saying this but these anxieties are really the first ones popping up in my head. Followed by…will I be able to budget effectively after living at home all this time? WHY ARE APARTMENTS SO EXPENSIVE? Will I do well in my job?

Working towards a routine has been making me feel better, so that’s why I’m already going to be in Beantown this weekend looking at places, have already started packing, and am in the process of reaching out to gyms about trial periods and monthly rates. Plus it’s good to know so many friends there who I’ll have as a support network. Though I may not be moving to the warm place I often dream of during these winter months, I am moving to a place only 1.5 hours from my friends and family here in CT. And it’s a place where I already have a great group of friends already there, waiting to welcome me with open arms.

Greg!

Greg!

Kristen!

Another Kelly!

While I may be scared, nervous, anxious, and worried I am also excited, grateful, psyched, and elated. I am so ready to make this career change, finally move out of my parents’ house (though I know it’ll always be mine too), and start over in a new place. And I’m thankful to have the people on my side who will help ease the transition. So that’s the announcement folks. I hope the teasing and the hinting was worth the wait. I know it was worth the wait for me, to put in time with my current employer so that when this job came along, I felt confident and ready to go for it!

Have you ever made a big move and/or career change?

Does change make you more excited or more nervous?

111 Responses to "That Augustana Song"

1. Susan

February 6, 2014 at 10:48 AM

As I’ve already said, I’m super happy for you! This job sounds amazingly exciting and I’m sure you’ll rock its face off.

That being said, I changed from a job I had for nearly 10 years a year ago. I completely switched industries and the only common ground was that I’d still be using a computer. It was terrifying. I mean, absolutely terrifying. I didn’t like my old job but that much change is just whoa.

However, look how this past year has gone for me. Yes, I’ve had to become better about a budget but god knows I needed that anyway. It’s also provided me the opportunity to really find a new routine and work it out how I needed to work it out. Beyond that, I can breathe again. As in, really breathe. Big deep glorifying breaths.

You’ll be nervous for awhile but when you feel those big deep breaths fill your lungs, you’ll know it’s all alright. :)

February 6, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Thanks Susan. I have needed deep breaths the last few nights, as I have been dealing with major insomnia!

2. Dana

February 6, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Can I say how awesome that is and that I’m not a bit jealous at all….?! how exciting!!! All the best!

February 6, 2014 at 11:48 AM

:D I’ve been waiting so long for this!

3. Annette@FitnessPerks

February 6, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Oh my goodness! CONGRATS!!! That is HUGE news!! So exciting for you :)

Way to follow your passions!!

February 6, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Thanks love! I’m officially a dreamer I guess!

4. chelcie @ chelcie's food files

February 6, 2014 at 10:59 AM

congrats! i’m from the Boston area so I may be a bit biased, but boston is the best place to live. I don’t know much about the alston/brighton area, but Sarah who blogs at the Blonde Bostonian lives right in Brighton so I’m sure she would have some advice to give!

February 6, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Haha and she has already commented, thanks girl, hope we can meet up sometime in Beantown.

5. Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire

February 6, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I am SO excited for you!!!!! Congratulations! It definitely can be scary moving away from home and the familiarity you’ve known for so long, but it is so worth it. You will find out so much about yourself and who you really are as a person, and you will grow so, so much. I feel like this is THE perfect job for you. Everything happens for a reason! Plus, now that I will be traveling to Boston for my new job, we can hopefully meet up! :) Congrats again girl!!

February 6, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I’d LOVE to meet up, oh my gosh! So excited for all the bloggers I’ll get to see in Beantown!

6. Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian

February 6, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Congratulations! Work changes are scary but it sounds like you’re making a great step toward a career you’ll love! I live in Brighton (close to the Brookline line) and love it. In terms of gyms, I go to the Beacon Hill Athletic Club on Comm. Ave. and love it. Tons of fitness classes. No stairclimber ( :( ) but very convenient and right near the T if you need to take it there. The Chestnut Hill reservoir is great for running around, especially in the Spring/Summer/Fall months. Brookline and Brighton is also buzzing with new restaurants and is a great area for young professionals (a lot less students) If you need anything else, let me know and welcome to the hood!

February 6, 2014 at 11:43 AM

No stairclimber is a deal breaker for me so I will have to look at other places! I am not a runner but maybe Boston can make me one! I will be sure to keep in touch with you. Let’s meet up when I’m settled?!

7. Vanessa

February 6, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you! While I can totally understand your anxieties about changing your life so drastically, I know that you will adjust and find your way. Just do your best to trust yourself and follow your heart, as you have been doing for a while now, and you will be fine :-)

February 6, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Thanks Vanessa, trusting myself is something I blogged about recently and is exactly what I need to do.

February 6, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Congrats Cait!! That is seriously amazing news, and I couldn’t be happier for you. It sounds like the absolute perfect position for you to really thrive, and do what you’re passionate about.

February 6, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Thank you so much Sam!!!

9. Julia

February 6, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Hi Caitlin! Just a head’s up from a Boston runner and oenophile– I’d be happy to help with the real estate search. I’m in South Boston but I used to live in Somerville/Cambridge– and I know the South End pretty well too. It’s an awesome spot in general– easy to make runner friends (of course) but also there are great gyms around too. As well as cycle studios, yoga and crossfit, etc. too. Let me know if you’d like some help! I’d trade for wine tips/ideas/or tasting buddy on occasion!

February 6, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Hey Julia, thanks so much, I’ll be sure to keep that in mind! I am not a runner myself but am all about the gyms!

February 6, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I already texted you but YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!! I had hoped this is where you would be! So perfect for you! my mom and I have already started talking about where I’d live if I move there this summer and we decided either Brookline or Allston would be the place for me. We could hang out all the time!! And by then you’ll know the best restaurants and gyms for me to go to ;)

11. Alex @ therunwithin

February 6, 2014 at 11:57 AM

excuse my language but NO FUCKING WAY. girl I am so freaking happy for you i can’t even explain it. not only am I beyond jealous you are heading up to boston (don’t worry, give me a few years and I will be there too) but you are doing a job that is a perfect fit for you. and heck, when I am in boston next we are so freaking meeting up. I can’t contain my excitement. I know change is scary, i did the same thing two years ago, so know I am always here.

February 6, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I can’t WAIT TO MEET YOU it would be a blog dream come true! And I know you’re here and you totally get this so I will reach out to you with 0 hesitation!

12. Andrea @ pencils and pancakes

February 6, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Congrats!!! I can’t wait to read about your fun adventures!

February 6, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Oh you know I’ll have ‘em!

13. Kaila @healthyhelperblog!

February 6, 2014 at 12:05 PM

OMG CONGRATS!!! This is such awesome news! Boston is one of my favorite cities and it’s so cool you’ll be working in an industry you’re passionate about!!! WOO HOO!

14. Natalie

February 6, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Congratulations! (Looooong time reader, but first time commenting!) So exciting! I live in Cambridge but may be moving to Allston/Brighton next year. I work at Healthworks Fitness (its an all women’s gym) and there are tons of classes including body pump, barre classes, and I’m pretty sure they have a stairmaster! I also have a friend who’s a Pure Barre instructor so that’s a fun “treat” class. You will have to check out Life Alive in Cambridge and Blue Shirt Cafe in Somerville for juice and healthy foods, and there’s a HUGE abundance of foodie restaurants around here! Check out Just Add Cheese and Boston Chefs (websites) for the coolest foodie things happening around Boston!

February 6, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Oh wow Natalie love love love your tips. Thank you!!! How cool that we will be so close!

15. Amy

February 6, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Caitlin- CONGRATULATIONS! That is so, so exciting. I live in Somerville and went to school in Boston- you are about to live in an AWESOME place! I would love to be in touch/meet/give you tips!! xo

February 6, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Aw thanks amy I will surely be contacting you if I have any ?s and please feel free to email me any you think I’d be into!

16. Amanda @ .running with spoons.

February 6, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Congratulations, Cait! That’s so.freaking.exciting! Change always brings some anxiety, but you need to learn to trust yourself and realize that no matter what happens, you’ll be fine. You’ve managed up till now, and you’ll keep on managing. There’s always a period of adjustment, but just look at is as an opportunity to learn and grow. I have a feeling you’re going to love it :D

February 6, 2014 at 2:03 PM

I am so so excited Amanda. Thanks for your words of reassurance!

17. Lora @ Crazy Running Girl

February 6, 2014 at 1:18 PM

SO exciting!! My husband and I have moved across the country three times… it will all fall into place! Wishing you the best on your new adventure!

February 6, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Wow if you can handle that I can do this!!

18. Melanie F.

February 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Congrats!! I lived in Boston for 6 years until actually moving to CT about 6 months ago (I’ll admit I will miss all your CT restaurant & going out posts because they have helped me so much in finding new places to visit since I moved here!)

I lived by myself in Brighton (Brighton/Brookline line) for my last year in the city and loved it. In addition to your gym membership, I would recommend checking out Sweat and Soul Yoga near BU – it’s a yoga studio with a separate cycle studio and they ALWAYS

• Melanie F.

February 6, 2014 at 1:37 PM

woops..pressed something that sent my comment too early!

Anyway, they ALWAYS have deals on Gilt City! Good luck with the big move! I look forward to reading your Boston posts!!

February 6, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Oo thanks for that Gilt tip, I am totally checking that place out! I know a blogger friend who goes to BU who may be interested in joining me. And I’m so glad I have helped you find cool CT restaurants. Don’t worry I still will be coming home some weekends to dine in CT :)

19. Ashley

February 6, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Congrats, girl!!! This sounds like an incredible opportunity for you, and even though the change will be nerve-wracking at times, it’ll be really exciting too. Even though I’ve never been to Boston, I’m sure the city will be a great fit for you–I’m seriously itching to move to a big city for a different change of pace!

February 6, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I’m definitely ready for a new scene!

20. Traci

February 6, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Congrats on the new job and moving toward your real passions! I feel similarly to you right now and hope I will figure out what direction I want to go in my career. I feel like I’m in the right industry, but maybe not exactly the right fit within that industry? We shall see. It’s so exciting/inspiring to know that your blog has led you to new opportunities. I’ve been thinking of starting a blog for a long time to help figure out that direction and if it might someday help with jobs, that would be awesome!

February 6, 2014 at 3:31 PM

You will find what you want, it will take time but that time will be well worth the wait! My blog seriously is what I can thank (or partially at least) for this job so I encourage you to try that path!

21. Caitlin

February 6, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Congrats hun!!! Such wonderful and exciting news :) always good to see that hard work and determination pay off! You are going to rock Boston; you’re stronger than you think, and I know that living on you own will help you learn that even more. Big changes like this always terrify me, but once I make a plan and get used to my new way of life, I’m always happy with how things turn out!

February 6, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I can’t wait to live alone to be honest, it’s just the settling in that terrifies me! I know I’ll be happy in the end!

22. cait @pieceofcait

February 6, 2014 at 2:21 PM

OMG OMG OMG, I am so so excited for you and cant wait to read more about your journey. amazing, congrats <3

23. Jen

February 6, 2014 at 2:44 PM

YAY YOU’RE COMING TO BOSTON!! Now hopefully I’ll get to meet you!!

24. Jen

February 6, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Also, re places to live in Allston/Brighton (I live near there, in Brookline).

Brighton’s nicer – Oak Square is good

GymIt on Comm Ave $20/month but no classes (I go there just to get my winter running in). It’s month to month so no locked in contract and no frills but is okay for me! But doesn’t sound good fro you. Healthworks? (REALZ Expensive!). Beacon Hill Athletic Club is more affordable and has great classes, but can’t speak to the Stair Master Issue as I’ve never been in one.

There are lots of spinning studios in downtown Boston as obvi you know, and you should def try Pure Barre when you arrive!! :) I’m more than happy to tell/talk more as well, if you’d like!

February 6, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Thanks for the super awesome gym advice! I hear Beacon Hill Athletic Club doesn’t have a stair master and yes HealthWorks is supposed to be expensive! But Commonwealth Athletic Club has class passes so maybe THAT combined with GymIt would be cool! Or GymIt combined with another studio style gym. I will let you know if I have any questions and hope we can meet up!

• Jen

February 6, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Yes, I really hope we can meet up as well! There are definitely some burger places I know you’d love! (My hubs and I can’t decide which of our two neighboring bars has the best burger we’ve ever had, but it’s a close tie).

Commonwealth Sports Club is good too I’ve heard – although I pass it going to GymIt and it’s a bit odd seeing everyone running on treadmills right by the windows ;).

February 6, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I was looking at CSC! I noticed they have a class pass only so that’s why I liked them. I need to see if they have a stairmaster!

25. Lauren Paradis

February 6, 2014 at 3:10 PM

OMG girl that is awesome!!! congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am from NH (an hour from boston!!) I would love to meet up at some point!!

good luck, have fun moving and we will talk soon!!

LP

February 6, 2014 at 3:30 PM

That would be so wonderful Lauren! Please let me know when you’re in Beantown!

26. Caitlin

February 6, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Hi Caitlin,

Congrats!!! I live in Brighton and I go to Boston Sports Club — the Allston location. It is on Comm. Ave very close to Harvard Ave. I love it!!!! There is a stairmaster, group fitness classes, lots of magazines, and it is also just generally very clean all the time, which I appreciate it.

I love living in Brighton (I think the best bars in Boston are in Brighton) and have lived in the Boston area my whole life!! I hope you like it here!! :)

February 6, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Oo I was looking at that location so thanks so much Caitlin! I’m super excited to check it out now. If you have any apt hunting tips please let me know!

February 6, 2014 at 3:36 PM

I found my apartment on craigslist and it is great!! Definitely do not jump at the first place you see … look at a few to get an idea of what is out there. At the same time though, you should move VERY quickly once you see something that you like! It probably won’t be as busy for you apartment hunting because September 1 is the big moving day in Brighton, but still something to keep in mind! :)

February 6, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I’m glad that it won’t be AS competitive but I will definitely not jump on the first place I see! I’m seeing at least 6 this Saturday so hopefully I will like at least one of them! I hope I only like one haha, so that it’s an easy decision. Although liking a few and choosing is better than liking none!

27. Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine

February 6, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Congratulations Caitlin! That is so awesome! You will do just great, just be kind to yourself and let yourself adapt to the changes slowly, embrace the mistakes, the challenges, and all the successes! It will all make sense over time :) <3 XOXO

February 6, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Aw a great outlook Rebecca. Thank you!

28. Jenna

February 6, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Congrats girl!!! So beyond happy for you! Change is scary but I know you are going to kill it at your new job! Can’t wait to hear about all your adventures :)

February 6, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Thanks lady! Adventures are surely on the way

29. Maria @ Pappa Don't Preach

February 6, 2014 at 8:27 PM

I am so crazy excited for you, but you already know this. Anxiety is completely normal when making such a big change, especially for those of us who have become accustomed to a “routine.” I think you’ll find once you’re settled those anxieties will quickly dissipate. You’re going to be in such an amazing city with so much going on, embrace it and enjoy it!

30. Sam @ The Second Lunch

February 6, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Newton/Brighton right near oak square :) lots of gym options – there is also a Y in Oak Square that may have a stairmaster… I go to CrossFit and have a Planet Fitness membership – whether or not you have a car – there are a lot of gyms in the area, some much easier to get to with a car. Don’t forget you can also try out gyms, lots of them! Happy to write a novel worth of ideas if you shoot me an email :)

February 7, 2014 at 1:10 PM

I definitely want to minimize car use but appreciate your gym advice! Thank you and I’ll email you if I need more!

31. mindy @ just a one girl revolution.

February 6, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Congratulations – what exciting news! Best wishes for this next journey in your life!

32. Davida @ The Healthy Maven

February 6, 2014 at 10:23 PM

SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First of all, I love boston and I’m coming to visit you. Second, you know I ABSOLUTELY understand what it means to make a bold move and quit your job. I am ALWAYS here to talk if you need someone to listen. I so so soooooo get the change but let me tell you Cait, it’s SO worth it.

K I just used a ton of exclamation points and capitals so for real I am excited for you!!!!!

February 7, 2014 at 1:10 PM

I was so excited for you to read this post!

33. Brittany @ Delights and Delectables

February 6, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Congrats sweet friend!!! I’m so very excited for you! I was secretly hoping you were moving to TN… but Boston is a city that I’ve been dying to visit! Can’t wait to hear more!

February 7, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Hahaha I cannot live in a landlocked state!

34. Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate

February 7, 2014 at 3:25 AM

Ahh I am so excited for you, girl! Of course, I had a feeling your waiting game had to do with career, but I never imagined what a great opportunity it would be. I know Boston will treat you oh so well. :-)

February 7, 2014 at 1:11 PM

I couldn’t have imagined such a great opp either. Well worth the wait!

35. Arman @ thebigmansworld

February 7, 2014 at 3:43 AM

After a tough working week- This has put a smile on my face.

So proud of you, Champ.

February 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM

awww. YOU make me smile Arman, with each post you write!

February 7, 2014 at 7:16 AM

Congratulations!!!! :-) I am so excited for you! You will do awesome!

37. B

February 7, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Oh man! What exciting and great news! I think it’s 100% normal to be a little nervous and worried, especially since not only are you starting a new job, but moving to a new city! Congrats!

38. anon

February 7, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Hi, I am a long time reader and wanted to say congratulations. I also wanted to note that you should give yourself more credit for how well you have done with food and feelings lately. The prospect of moving and changing careers is incredibly stressful. I know that for myself, stress brings out my hyper focus on food as something that I can control amid the chaos, only the hyper awareness and anxiety makes it even harder to control and I end up feeling out-of-control (in terms of eating too much and making wrong choices). Generally though, that is just a feeling because you are actually doing fine and being normal, your just too focussed on trying to be a model of perfection that is unreasonable.

Just wanted to give you kudos.

February 7, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I completely know what you mean about focusing on the food as a way to stay in control. And I really love the idea that feeling out of control is actually just me being normal. Aint that the truth (most of the time)! Thanks so much for commenting and also for being a long time reader. Your kudos mean so much!

39. Shannon

February 7, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Congrats!!! What an exciting way to start off your 2014. This is going to be a great year for you!

40. Missy

February 7, 2014 at 12:37 PM

THIS IS SO AWESOME!!

I am so happy for you — I don’t have the guts (yet?) to segue into something more akin to my dreams and passions. I can only imagine — well, I HAVE imagined many times how amazing that would be.

YOU DID IT!

Change is scary and exciting but mostly exciting when you realize you have NOTHING to lose, and you don’t girl. You got this. I also love that you got peeps up there and Boston is such a rad place! Lots of local coffee shops, right?

I hope you will keep blogging but dang– you gonna be busy and stressed for a while (good stress) so If you still post everyday you are officially Superwoman Strength. (0:

February 7, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Oh my gosh I’m already dreaming of all the local cafes I will blog from! I may visit a different one each weekend! I know I may not blog as often or about the same things (a post to come on that!) but the most important thing is my career is moving where I want it to!

41. Brittany @ Britt's Blurbs

February 7, 2014 at 2:01 PM

I am SO HAPPY FOR YOU! Congrats on making BIG moves girl! You definitely deserve all of this and the happiness that will come along with it! Don’t be scared of big changes. Exciting and life-changing things can lie in those changes! You go girl!

42. lindsay

February 7, 2014 at 4:21 PM

you are amazing! congrats to my fellow wino! boston awaits!

February 7, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I can’t believe wine will be my job!

43. Kathy

February 7, 2014 at 8:23 PM

“Have you ever made a big move and/or career change?”

Yup, when I moved here, 1000 miles away from our last home and even farther from my family. It was a big career change too with a lot more responsibility and autonomy, in a new field. Best move I ever made. Go with what your heart says and you will be fine.

February 9, 2014 at 9:44 AM

I’ll definitely have that responsibility and autonomy and while that makes me a bit nervous, I know I can do it!

44. Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table

February 7, 2014 at 9:30 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I have the exact same dream job criteria. One day… sigh.

Seriously, good for you for sticking to it and getting to live the dream early in life. It only gets harder as you get older and more rooted in one career. This is a high moment – be proud!

February 9, 2014 at 9:44 AM

I know this is the time to do it!

45. Jen

February 7, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Oh, my goodness…how exCITing!!! :))

Congrats, Caitlin – I am beyond thrilled for you & cannot wait to hear of your adventures in Beantown (one of many places that I have always wanted to visit, but just haven’t quite made it yet)! Also, nice that you still won’t be too far from your fam (I’m sure they appreciate that, as well). :)

February 9, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I do love that I can come see them if I want to!

46. Jazial @ Foxy Fresh

February 8, 2014 at 1:52 AM

Congratulations! This is such great news and I’m really excited for you!! Well done.

47. Megan (The Lyons' Share)

February 8, 2014 at 10:57 AM

OMGGGGG!!!!!!!!! I’m so excited for you!!! You’ll be fabulous in your new role, and I hope that it’s everything you had hoped for. Boston is such an amazing city – while I don’t have much advice on apartments since the 4 years I spent living there were in college while living on campus, I can tell you that I absolutely adored the city and everything it has to offer. You’ll be amazing! Deep breaths, and think about all the exciting times in your future! Congrats!

February 9, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Thanks Meg I had no idea you were in Boston for college!

February 8, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Big congrats to you Cait, it sounds like the absolute perfect job for you! I know you must be scared, but I promise you will find a new routine you love. I moved across the country alone, from Los Angeles to Washington DC ,for my job in marketing almost four years ago. It was the best decision I ever made. I grew up so much, fell in love with a new city, and met the best of friends. I actually also just visited Boston for the first time last year and I LOVED it. You are going to flourish there, I can totally picture it!

Best of luck, can’t wait to read about your adventure.

February 9, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I hope you visit again so we can meet! I somehow missed that you’d moved from LA – how crazy! Very brave ofyou.

49. Linz @ Itz Linz

February 8, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Congrats!! That’s awesome and sounds like a fun opportunity!!

50. Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat

February 8, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Woohoo…congrats!! That sounds like such an amazing opportunity and an awesome job!! SO happy for you!

51. Allie

February 9, 2014 at 8:53 AM

you will love boston! healthworks is amazing – such great classes.

February 9, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I heard, but also expensive! I’m leaning towards something cheaper.

52. Carly @ Snack Therapy

February 9, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Congrats! This is so so exciting! That seriously sounds like a near-pefect job for you. WAHOOOOO!

Yep, change can be terrifying, but things have a way of settling in to place, and eventually, you can’t imagine your life any other way.

February 9, 2014 at 12:09 PM

So true. I was scared to move back home after college and start my new job but now I’m so comfortable in my routine!

53. Kerri

February 9, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Congrats!
    Boston is one of my very favorite places.

If you decide to become a bike person, look into Nutcase helmets. They fit better and are way more stylish.

February 10, 2014 at 6:58 AM

Nice thanks!! I still think I’d be too scared hahha but I love the name

54. Emilie

February 9, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Massive congratulations to you! What an awesome and exciting opportunity! My best friend is moving to Boston after she gets married in September and my boyfriend’s best friend lives just outside of the city. I definitely prefer it over NYC 100%. You’re right – your parents house will ALWAYS be yours too. I still refer to my parent’s house as home vs. my apartment as home, ha. Change is crazy scary for me too but once everything settles I think you’ll be so proud of yourself for navigating through all of this. Way to go :)

February 10, 2014 at 6:59 AM

It’ll be mine til they sell it haha which they plan to do soon!

55. Rachel @ Healthy Chicks

February 9, 2014 at 9:51 PM

eeek, you know I am so so proud of you my dear! Way to rock it + go after your passion, it totally paid off! Boston dates await us soon. See ya in the Bean :)

56. Liz

February 10, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Congrats on the new job in Boston! In response to “I already know I’m looking to live alone (introvert over here) in the Allston/Brighton area, and have scouted out a few potential gyms. Priorities there? Group fitness classes and A STAIR MASTER.” Soon enough, on FitYap.com you will be able to type in those terms and filter for “Stair Master” and we’ll return the results of the gyms within a certain proximity, by price and by reviews. :) We’re working on getting all of the data in the system now!

In regards to apartment hunting:, check out this apartment: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/roo/4323584117.html

Let me know if you have further questions on the area. I relocated from Philadelphia about 5 years ago at your age. I can offer some good advice for making new friends, etc! In fact- we should grab coffee when you get up here and get settled! Good luck!

February 10, 2014 at 10:11 AM

That apt is not in the neighborhood I’d like to live in and I’d like to live alone, plus I already put in an app for one! Thanks for the Fit Yap tip.

57. Jane T.

February 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM

SO happy for you! Not writing an email because I figured a comment would work just as well… OK, Allston/Brighton. I know you looked already and you found somewhere (!) – I lived in Packard’s Corner in Allston for a few years, 1 year alone in an apartment. It’s a great location – super close to the T and everything you need, like groceries and there are several gyms and stuff around. The further you go into Allston the cheaper it will get (further out on the T, closer to BC than BU). Brighton is cheaper but not on the T as much.

I have a million places that you can go hang out and get coffee, bars, gyms, etc. – just email me with whatever questions you have!! Totally happy to help. Lots of good places for you – you’ll love Lone Star Taco Bar and Deep Ellum in Allston!!

February 10, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Thank you for the tips! I’ll definitely be emailing you if I have any questions and I’m also going to do a post about the transition that has questions so that people can comment and leave me recs. I am looking up those restaurants now!

58. Jana

February 16, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I know I’m a little late (catching up on lots of blog reading today!), but congrats on the new job! Can’t wait to read more about your new job and adventures in Boston :)

February 17, 2014 at 9:33 AM

No worries on being late, I am so behind on reading blogs! Thanks for the well wishes!

March 8, 2014 at 6:53 PM

So late on this (duh) but I’m SO excited for you. And I hope you’ve already seen that you’ve been kicking ass with your food prep, gym time, and starting a new routine. And I’m sure you’re kicking ass at the job already. So proud of you xoxo

60. Cait

April 13, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Can’t believe I missed this! I started noticing on Instagram you were posting Boston pictures but wasn’t sure if it was just a visit or not!

Congrats on finding a job you’re more passionate about and WELCOME TO BOSTON!! It’s just one of the best cities :)

April 13, 2014 at 12:39 PM

I so agree! I would love to meet up sometime!