Wordless WIAW: Millwright’s Goodbye Dinner

As I mentioned previously, my department took me out to dinner at my favorite Simsbury restaurant, Millwright’s, to bid me farewell during my last week at work.

You too can link up with Jenn‘s famous WIAW party!

This post is actually being published on my first day at my new job, so I’m writing it the day before and am also making it fairly wordless. I’ve got a TON to do to continue getting settled in Boston! So here’s my recap of our amazing meal, which was the perfect send-off and very appropriate for What I Ate Wednesday.

Work/dinner outfit…skirt purchased at Kohl’s on Black Friday. Not showing: the still-attached sensor. Ugh.

My pre-dinner cocktail, the Luini’s Widow: barrel-aged amaretto, gin, lillet blanc, orange bitters.

The kitchen was kind enough to send its own goodbye gifts!

Baked Tapioca Custard: all the flavors of clam chowder (IT WAS TRUE!)

Agnolotti: oxtail, “french onion” broth, gruyere crisp.

Chilled Lobster: yogurt, apple, cabbage dill

Chilled Lobster: yogurt, apple, cabbage dill

Instead of a soup or salad to start, I opted for…

Some of the most wonderful baby cabbages, with pistachio crumbles!

With a side of…

My boss picked out two fabulous reds for the table: Decoy Pinot Noir (my first time having it since Sun WineFest 2011!) and

My boss picked out two fabulous reds for the table: 2011 Decoy Pinot Noir (my first time having it since Sun WineFest 2012!) and 2008 Chatom Vineyards Zinfandel.

Everyone ordered his or her own entree…

My entree, the cod: calamari, fennel, ginger aioli, citrus, olive crumble.

Then we all shared a bunch of desserts!

2-19-14-millwrights7

Chocolat Semifreddo: Grand Marnier cream, poached cranberries, cashew croquant

2-19-14-millwrights6

My favorite of the night…Sticky Toffee Pudding (chantilly cream, espresso ice cream).

A gift from the kitchen - White Chocolate & Orange Mousse with honey tuile and candied fennel.

Another gift from the kitchen – White Chocolate & Orange Mousse with honey tuile and candied fennel.

I’m very grateful to the Millwright’s team for making my last outing with my department so memorable. I’m so happy I was able to visit this special restaurant before moving away from CT. We had a blast and left completely satisfied!

Do you like to order your own food out, share, or a bit of both?

Which dessert looks best to you? Which app?

12 Responses to "Wordless WIAW: Millwright’s Goodbye Dinner"

February 26, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Can’t I just say that I want everything? ;-) Although for desserts, I have to admit that the chocolate semifreddo is sticking out to me – I’ve only had semifreddo once and I seriously adored it!
    I usually get my own entree, but I like sharing apps and desserts.

February 26, 2014 at 12:18 PM

This was my first time having it and I ADORED it.

2. B

February 26, 2014 at 11:45 AM

It looks like you had a great dinner and a great time!

3. Caitlin

February 26, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Goodness girl! That all looks amazing! I’m a huge fan of getting stuff to share so I can try a little bit of everything ;) There is no way I could choose a favorite from those desserts, though..,they all look phenomenal as does your entree and the agnolotti. I love that you had port with dessert, too. I need to do that more often! Such a good way to end a meal!

February 26, 2014 at 4:29 PM

It is really so special!

4. Liz @ I Heart Vegetables

February 26, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Mmm sharing desserts is the best! (Since I’m a vegetarian I can’t usually share entrees haha) That sounds like an awesome good bye dinner!

February 26, 2014 at 4:28 PM

My coworker is a vegetarian and she too feels the same about sharing desserts vs entrees/apps! She couldn’t try most of the apps brought out and doesn’t even like brussels so she couldn’t try those either.

5. Kerri

February 26, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Love that skirt!

Thinking good thoughts for you on your first day :-)

February 26, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Thank you lady! Hope you enjoyed El Sarape BTW!

February 26, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Everything looks so good, but brussels and pistachios, be still my heart. #oldladyloves. MUST BRING NICK THERE ASAP.

February 26, 2014 at 7:45 PM

You and he seriously need to visit. He would love the bourbon drinks that the bartender, Chris, makes!

March 8, 2014 at 7:43 PM

I LOVE your outfit and all of the food. And gimme your cocktail pleaseandthankyouuuuuu!