MIMM: I Did It!

I don’t exactly feel quite as cheery as this title and its exclamation point make it seem, but I still feel a hell of a lot better than I did yesterday. I can’t remember the last time I blogged on a weekend but I did yesterday, just a quick rant, because I was sitting at my laptop feeling sorry for and doubtful of myself. I set out to prove to my all-or-nothing mind that I could enjoy last night’s Super Bowl eats without going overboard, without getting too full, and also without restricting. Well I proved to myself just that, so that’s pretty marvelous.

Link up with Katie today and share your marvelous.

In terms of beverages, I decided to start with a beer I purchased a long time ago and was saving for a beer-esque evening such as Super Bowl Sunday. Plus I thought it’d be easy to sip slowly. John Henry 3-Lick Spiker Ale was recommended to me at Yankee Spirits because I shared with the sales associate that I am a bourbon lover. This beer is aged in bourbon oak chips and I adored it! I want to try some more John Henry beers now. After the beer I switched to another special something that I was motivated to sip slowly – the last of some Johnnie Walker Blue my dad had! What a marvelous guy (my dad, not Johnnie). The evening later ended with champagne…Andres, not so marvelous, but it’ll do.

image (9)

Oh yes we had a lot of food, and that’s not even all of it. It trickled in rather slowly as people arrived so I tried to remind myself to eat slowly. I (mostly) used veggies for dips instead of chips; celery makes a great dip boat! I also didn’t focus much on the stuff I am not that into, like wings, meatballs, cocktail shrimp, chili, and hummus. Boring (to me) and I’d rather go for the marvelous stuff I don’t eat often like the dips (buffalo chicken, crab, spinach & artichoke), homemade deviled eggs, two different kinds of crab rangoons, and my mom’s Mexi-contributions.

On the left you will see Iowa Girl Eats Black Bean & Sweet Corn Guac. I sent the recipe to my mom and suggested we have it on Super Bowl Sunday. She also made her famous black bean salsa (on the right).

I did a lot of chatting, some sitting and watching the game (too bad it wasn’t more exciting), and playing hostess. I wished yesterday that the party was at someone else’s house so I could pop in for a few minutes then bail, but it actually turned out to be a marvelous event to have at my own home. Cleaning up, getting people drinks, refilling chip bowls, and other duties kept me plenty distracted! As did watching the halftime show downstairs with my dad, because too many people upstairs were chatting and we couldn’t hear the magic of marvelous Bruno.

Unfortunately our Peyton Tennessee jerseys didn’t help him play well!

At first when Molly‘s mom walked in with my favorite chocolate chip cookie bars and her marvelous gingerbread cookies, I felt wary. But I neglected to realize that since those were the only desserts for our entire party, I wouldn’t have been able to eat a ton of them even if I’d decided to. And though I certainly didn’t NEED the several bars/cookies I had, I went to bed not too full at all. Who skips dessert on Super Bowl Sunday anyway? I know if I hadn’t allowed myself to have any of Mrs. Anderson’s marvelous desserts, I would have just been staring at them and unable to focus on the friends and family around me. I’m glad I enjoyed them – even if I didn’t really like what I saw in the mirror this morning.

image (10)

After all, look at those marvelous friends and family members! How often are that many people crowded into my living room to watch a not-so-marvelous football game? I really had a good evening and when I got into bed to listen to NPR and do some coloring (gotta wind down somehow!) I felt content. I know I’m not often not that happy with my body. There’s a messed up part of my brain that wishes I’d done nothing for the Super Bowl so that I wouldn’t have eaten the dips, the desserts, the drinks. But I was in the party situation and I didn’t go crazy. I can trust myself and I shouldn’t doubt that I can be in control. I’m too marvelous to let food define me.

How was your Super Bowl Sunday?

What did you think of the halftime show?

What was the most marvelous thing you ate this weekend?

48 Responses to "MIMM: I Did It!"

February 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Glad to hear that you’re feeling good with how the superbowl went hun! Parties like that it’s always more about the family and friends then the food, and I’m happy that you were able to enjoy both. Although that game…yikes. That was just a tad boring.

February 3, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Such a snoozer! I had hoped it’d provide me distraction but not so much!

2. Susan

February 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM

First, I’m super proud of you. :)

Second, I ate a steak sub on Saturday and it was what dreams were made of. For.Real.

3. Davida @ The Healthy Maven

February 3, 2014 at 10:18 AM

No superbowl festivities for me! I spent the night organizing my spice rack. I can’t tell if this makes me super uncool or totally winning? Thoughts? haha oh the joys of moving!

February 3, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Only cool if you were taking ugly selfies during!

4. Michelle@TAcoma Aroma

February 3, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I always wish an event is someone else’s place and then an always SO happy that we end up hosting. IT’s so EASY because you don’t have to go anywhere and half the time most people will help do the clean up in the end. Looks like you had a great superbowl sunday!

February 3, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Thanks, and yes it was super nice not to go anywhere and go downstairs to bed once cleanup was done!

5. Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine

February 3, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Yay! I am so happy to hear you had a good night :) So proud! I “listened” in on the game for about 30 minutes, then I took a shower and went to bed, haha! Watching sports is just way to boring especially when it is not one of your teams playing!

February 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM

And that game was I’m sure boring for anyone even someone whose team was playing!

6. Carly @ Snack Therapy

February 3, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Yep, you are way too marvelous (and way too strong) to be controlled by food. I’m so happy for you that yesterday turned out a lot better than you expected.

Ahh, and all of that food looks amaaaazing. I didn’t do anything for Super Bowl, so no fun football snacks for me :(.

February 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I always found that in college I didn’t do much for Super Bowl! Always homework to do and I’d even go home so I could attend my family’s party.

7. Amanda @ .running with spoons.

February 3, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Can you believe that, in all my 29 years, I’ve never been to a Superbowl party? I don’t think it’s as big up here in Canada, and most of my friends are more into hockey than they are football. All the snacks and meal ideas I’ve been seeing around the internet make me feel like I have to attend at least one, though — they look kind of epic. And great job handling the food situation at your party — I know how tricky it can be with an ED past, but you rocked its socks off :)

February 3, 2014 at 12:17 PM

This Super Bowl sure wasn’t epic so you are better off waiting for another one! ;)

8. Jolene

February 3, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Yay, glad you succeeded, not that I am surprised :) smart to go for what you like and want, not stuff that you are ho-hum about. that’s the difference, I think, about feeling satisfied and not deprived! I also find it good to host because you are busy making sure everyone has food and drink, less time to sit and eat!

9. Jenna

February 3, 2014 at 12:09 PM

I’m glad that you ended up enjoying yourself! You totally kicked ass, and I too used to have so much anxiety about large gatherings with tons of food. It took a damn long time for me to completely get over it, but in the end it always turned out okay :) As for the Super Bowl, I didn’t watch a single minute of it, I’m not into football and they don’t even show the best commercials here in Canada, but I must say I enjoy watching all the best ones online the day after!!

February 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM

The game was boring, you didn’t miss much!

10. Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire

February 3, 2014 at 1:08 PM

For what it’s worth, I’m proud of you. You easily could have let your feelings get the best of you and been down on yourself all day yesterday, but I think it’s a HUGE sign and step in the right direction that you were able to take control and have an enjoyable Super Bowl Sunday. Every step forward is amazing, even if the step doesn’t feel as big as you want it to be. The best thing I ate all weekend was definitely a brownie sundae on Saturday night. Orrrrrrrr maybe the wine we had. But since you said ate and not drank, I’ll stick with the brownie. ;)

February 3, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Wine paired with a brownie sundae sounds like a dream!

11. Alex @ therunwithin

February 3, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I am so happy you were able to change that mindset around, you deserved to have a great time and it sounds like you did.

February 3, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I went into yesterday with some similar feelings. I made all the food, but the pizza and wings I can have any time. I decide to stick with some buffalo mac & cheese (also from Iowa Girl Eats) because its so damn delicious and I don’t make it that often. I didn’t make any desert, shocking right? One friend brought homemade italian 7 layer cookies…yum and one friend brought a box of tagalongs , because he knew he’d eat the whole box if he kept them at home.

I did better than I thought I would and I am happy for not beating myself up! I’m glad you aren’t either.

February 3, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Oh I’m so glad that you aren’t beating yourself up and heck yes buffalo chicken Mac! I myself enjoyed my buffalo chicken dip!

13. Missy q

February 3, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I just read your post from yesterday today and so this follow up was REALLY great to read.
    TRI-F-ING-UMPH-ANT!

Yes, I read (and understand) the little disclaimer at the beginning but this is still a HUGE triumph for many reasons.. like Molly’s Mom’s desserts and your last sentence up there: ” Iā€™m too marvelous to let food define me.”

And also the fact that you coined the phrase “beer-esque” which is just so perfect.

Best thing I ate this weekend? Salmon Sausages…
    I die.

February 3, 2014 at 4:22 PM

THAT SOUNDS INCREDIBLE!!!!

February 3, 2014 at 3:19 PM

So proud of you! Looks like an awesome spread of food. I had a ton of unhealthy snacks and treats during the superbowl too. I felt pretty bloated after, but I reminded myself that its normal and OK to feel like that after a lot of salty food and beer. I didn’t overdo it either – its just so hard to tell what “too much” is of foods you aren’t used to eating. Like you, I feel pretty proud of myself for enjoying the party and not letting the uncertainty and guilt put a damper on my Monday.

February 3, 2014 at 4:30 PM

I agree with you on it being hard to tell how much is too much of the stuff we don’t each day. Whereas when I over do it on Brussels sprouts, it’s pretty easy to tell ;)

15. Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots

February 3, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Soo glad you enjoyed yourself! It sounds like a lovely evening and the food looks delicious!

February 3, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Including the gluten free chips! :)

February 3, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I’m really glad you ended up having a good time! Writing out anxiety and frustrations always seems to help me too. I mean, really, how could you turn down the chocolate chip bars? It’s basically a necessity! Your night sounds like a blast and I’m super happy for you that you were able to enjoy it. I didn’t watch the Super Bowl but I kind of wish I had gone to a Super Bowl party so I could partake in the social aspects of it. I’m just not a football person!

February 3, 2014 at 4:31 PM

I’m not a football person either especially with such a snoozer game!

17. Caitlin

February 3, 2014 at 5:08 PM

You are amazing, hun. When I read yesterday’s post, my heart broke for you, understanding exactly how you felt and how awful that is when the voice is stronger. You fought it, though, hun, and look what happened. You had fun, enjoyed your food, and went to bed feeling good, which is the best feeling of all. You’re fighting hard, hun, and I think it’s wonderful to see :) i’m glad you were able to enjoy yourself and your time with friends and family…nothing can beat that!

February 3, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Aww thanks so much Caitlin. You’re such a sweetheart!

18. Hyedi

February 3, 2014 at 7:08 PM

It’s true! you ARE too marvelous :) I was also bored with the game but my party had a good selection of snacks as well. I had the same kind of plan of attack as you — using veggies to dip into the various dips. The most marvelous thing I ate might have been the cheesy black bean dip that one of my friends made. Delicious!

February 3, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Black bean dips are great but when you add cheese there’s no problem there!

19. Emilie

February 3, 2014 at 7:37 PM

So happy to hear you had a good time last night :) You pull off orange really well – that’s a color I cannot wear! I enjoyed the halftime show. I’m not a Bruno Mars fan at all but I think it’s one of the best halftime shows in the last several years. Probably the most exciting thing about the Superbowl, ha! I didn’t really pay close attention to the game because I’m not a big fan of football in general. Best thing I ate? Buffalo Cauliflower Dip! I am sharing the recipe on Wednesday. I used to love Buffalo Chicken Dip but needed a non-meat version this year and I loved how it came out.

February 4, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I can’t wait to see you share that recipe, Emilie! It sounds right up my alley and maybe something I can make and trick my dad into eating ;)

20. Maria @ Pappa Don't Preach

February 3, 2014 at 8:20 PM

So glad you were able to enjoy the big night despite your less than stellar feelings on Sunday. This proves that you’re facing your fears and knocking em right in the face, pow pow! ;) And who can resist those dips! I wish I had that spread! I am officially in my place, and enjoyed Muscle Maker Grill for lunch 2 days in a row. Their texas style chicken nuggets are like my heaven.

21. cait @pieceofcait

February 3, 2014 at 8:35 PM

so glad you had a good night despite the pervious post, but that’s AOK! we all feel like that time from time, but to get passed it is awesome :) and that game was so lame! lol

February 4, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Haha for real, good thing I wasn’t in it for the football.

22. Arman @ thebigmansworld

February 4, 2014 at 3:35 AM

I think you handled yourself VERY well and am SO glad to have read this recap :)

Smart thinking in going for the ‘good stuff’ that you don’t eat that often- anything with crab is a winner in my book! I obviously didn’t watch the superbowl (I tried on youtube to watch the halftime show but it’s only filled with fakes lol!) but so many superbowl parties on blogland- I’d go just for the food haha :P

February 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I hear Super Bowl Sunday is the second biggest eating holiday behind Thanksgiving but I swear I’d rather just have the food on Super Bowl!

23. Linz @ Itz Linz

February 4, 2014 at 7:51 AM

SO MUCH FOOD DURING THE SUPERBOWL!! i loved the halftime show – i think bruno mars is awesome!

24. Megan (The Lyons' Share)

February 4, 2014 at 9:18 AM

YAY! You did it!! Congrats girl!

February 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Weee Meg, thanks for your help on Sunday!

25. Sloane

February 4, 2014 at 9:43 AM

SO PROUD OF YOU! I know this wasn’t easy, KUDOS to you for all the work you’ve done that got you to a point where you could be comfortable and free in such a high-stress situation. You rock sweetheart, you really do.
    LOVE!

February 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM

XOXO Miss you Sloane!

March 5, 2014 at 12:35 AM

You’re wonderful and I’m so glad you were able to prove to yourself that you could have the control that you feared you may not. I knew you had it in you and it’s so great that it makes times like those that much more enjoyable.