Thinking Out Loud: First Week

Time to blog is short to come by these days! But all day long I’ve always got blog ideas popping up in my head and I’m always anxious to put them to digital-paper. I may not have time to do a whole post expanding on each of my ideas, but I always have time to think out loud with Amanda!

1. My first day of work went well! I showed up without my laptop because I’m used to working for a job where a PC is provided, but I’d much prefer to use my own laptop and the beauty of living so close to my job is I could easily walk to my apartment to grab it! I had a great time learning our e-commerce system for online wine purchases, brainstorming promotional ideas, and meeting my new co-workers. To be excited for the next day of work is a new feeling for me and one I could easily get used to!

First day of work selfie. I’m still riding high on my braid-making semi-abilities. I also have realized some form of headwear covering the ears is essential in Boston.

2. Boston Sports Club continues to impress me. I took another FAAAABULOUS Danielle Dee spin class on Monday and last night I tried out a Total Body Conditioning class. It was so cool! The instructor set up a circuit workout for all of us in the gym, in the shape of a big circle, and we went through the whole thing three times with cardio in between. I got some amazing ideas for moves I can do on my own!

3. Tuesday’s workout wasn’t so great, but that wasn’t my gym’s fault. After being out and about all day at the DMV and two appointments, I arrived at BSC for a 5:30 UXF class and knew immediately I hadn’t fueled enough to do it. I’m not used to walking several miles prior to even entering a gym, and it sure affected me. I left after about 30 minutes of arm weights and abs, kicking myself for not fueling well enough to do the class. It made me feel very guilty to plan to do an intense class and instead end up doing something less intense/long. I’m really going to have to make an effort to watch that now that I’m going to be walking more daily. The ED part of my mind tells me that since I’m living in Boston, land of fab restaurants, I will eat out and indulge more and therefore need to keep up my usual gym routine in ADDITION to the walking. The recovery part of my mind worries about getting caught up in that thinking, because I don’t want any setbacks. I wish I could find a normal between ED and recovery. A normal that involves eating when I’m hungry and stopping when I’m full and not questioning every signal my body sends me. I know one day I will get there. It’s all part of the journey and the frustrations I feel along the way are going to happen. I need to learn from my mistakes and use them as fuel for recovery and my progress.

4. I crossed another Boston restaurant off my to-do list. A future (now current!) co-worker and I met up Tuesday night (before my first day!) at Lineage in Brookline. The service to get my cocktail, which ended up being not so great thanks to some random shaved ice, was too slow. But everything else was awesome! I tried a Macedonian white wine with my entree (see below) and it blew me away despite the fact that it was the cheapest white by the glass!

I ordered the entree special: monkfish with lentils and beets! Cleaned my plate.

5. I’ve also been staying in, and I love it! Jenna’s Roasted Winter Veggie Salad has certainly been pulling its weight around here, lasting me for several salad lunches and a couple of dinners. Every time I start worrying I’ll eat out too much here in Boston, I have to remind myself of how much I thoroughly look forward to and enjoy my nights in. Both last night and Monday I was perfectly content chillin’ in my apartment, eating healthy food, drinking red wine, and getting ready for the next day.

Freshly made.

Take two.

6. I’ve got QUITE the weekend planned. Friday I will be attending my good friend Greg’s show, and hopefully having some fab beverages/dinner before AND after. Saturday an old friend from CT who also lives here now invited me to go salsa dancing! And Sunday I have an event to attend for work…an Oscars-themed gala! Beforehand I’m going with the co-worker I had dinner with on Tuesday to Blo’s South End location, to treat myself to a blow-out. I’m not buying a new dress for the event (wearing a short one and dressing it up with tights and glitter heels) so I figure I can spend a bit on dressing up my outfit with my hair. Right? Right.

The dress – a Black Friday purchase from Kohl’s.

7. I’m learning new things about myself now that I’m living in my new apartment. For example, I have no dishwasher…so I’ve found I’ll do ANYTHING to avoid dirtying another dish. My leftover roasted winter veggie salad is currently in my fridge in its original huge container, even though there’s less than a serving left. I refuse to change it out for a smaller container. That would mean two dishes to hand-wash – the horror! I also had forgotten how much I like just turning on my TV and having it playing while I’m doing chores. The first thing I do when I get home each evening is turn on E! so I can half-listen as I unpack, re-pack for the next day, get dinner ready, etc. It’s very calming and makes me quite glad I got cable.

I’m outta here. No time for more thoughts! Happy Thursday, friends. Be sure to link up if you thought out loud today too.

Do you ever encounter a bad workout as a result of under-fueling? Have you ever had to adjust your caloric intake to a new level of activity?

Did you eat anything fabulous this week, either in or out?

Have you ever learned anything new about yourself upon moving to a new place?

28 Responses to "Thinking Out Loud: First Week"

1. Carrie @ poet in the pantry

February 27, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I am sooooo happy to hear you’re adjusting well to city life! Sounds like you were meant to be in Boston. :)

February 27, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Wait! Where are you going salsa dancing!? Text me if you don’t want to say here haha. Sounds like a fab weekend, hopefully we can get together very soon.

February 27, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I actually don’t know where I’m going because my friend doesn’t know yet either haha. I don’t know where OR when.

3. Amber @ Simply Keep Breathing

February 27, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Oh, those roasted veggies! I need to give that recipe a try!

Yep, ate something pretty tasty this week. It’s Kashi’s Cinnamon Crunch with berries. Yum, yum, and yum.

Happy Thursday! Love your blog!

February 27, 2014 at 2:59 PM

I love Kashi cereal!

4. Courtney @RunningforCupcakes

February 27, 2014 at 10:40 AM

I’ve decided I need to stop being a silent/ghost reader. I seriously read your blog everyday and always enjoy it but never comment. I don’t know what is wrong with me! Can I just say that I am so jealous of your new adventure it sounds amazing! And you always have the most amazing looking drinks! My best friend is moving to Boston this summer so I will definitely be taking notes on your favorite places so that I can check them out when I visit her!

February 27, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Oo and then maybe we can get together then. Thank you for breaking your silence! I love new reader comments!

February 27, 2014 at 12:29 PM

I’ve definitely had crappy workouts because I was underfueling, but I just try to take it as lesson. If I want better workouts and want to perform better overall, I need to make sure i’m getting in enough calories. So, just take this as a learning experience – now you know that in order to keep up your workouts when you’re walking more, you’re going to need more food.
    And I’m totally with you on the dishwashing thing – I will do anything I can to avoid washing extra dishes. The non-negotiables for the next apartment/house/whatever will be a dishwasher and indoor parking – because I’m sick of washing dishes and scraping snow off my car :-p

February 27, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I haven’t yet had to scrape snow off my car but based on how this winter has been going I think I’m going to have to before spring comes!

6. Allison

February 27, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I’d like to note that not completing a workout when you recognized you were improperly fueled and had likely gotten in a significant amount of exercising in the form of additional walking IS progress in your recovery. Hopefully you will also start to make progress with the feelings of guilt as you continue to grow in your recovery.

February 27, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Thank you Allison! That is a good point and I did recognize that, but the feelings of guilt felt stronger. Like you said I need to work on not trying to be perfect in recovery. I am such a perfectionist and it’s exhausting to try to be a perfect eater/exerciser AND recover-er.

7. Missy

February 27, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Re: #3 —
    I wanted to share that six months ago I realized that “normal” should never be my goal … why?
    Because normal is perfection.
    You know what I mean? At least, for me it translates to that. (I have a perfection hang up).
    I tend to think how much I want to eat “normally” just like you say (eat when hungry, stop when full, indulge without guilt, eat what I feel like..etc) and my therapist was like…”Girl? Name ONE person who you think eats that way and I can tell you before I even met them — that is not the case.”

Once I let go (work in progress) of my “normaL” goal (re: perfect in my mind) it allows room for me to think about what my unique ideal would be for me, the individual with my all my quirks and flaws.
    Normal, like perfection, doesn’t really exist I think. I just wanted to share.

Still so happy for you and excited! I wonder if you will share pics of your first bachelorette pad?

February 27, 2014 at 3:02 PM

That is an EXCELLENT point. Even people without EDs eat past the full point sometimes! And it happens! It’s OK! You always have such rewarding things to say in your comments, Missy. I WILL share pics but am waiting til I get some wall art/posters up!

8. Caitlin

February 27, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Oh I’ve had my fair share of poor workouts/runs from under-fueling, and the worst part about the run one? It doesn’t get better even after you eat. I distinctly remember one run last January where I didn’t eat enough ahead of time and felt like absolute crap the rest of the day which sucked since Joe was home and wanted to do something fun, which I then wasn’t up for. Lesson learned ha. Be gentle with yourself, hun. This is new territory for you, and you will learn so much about yourself living on your own. You are stronger than you think, and you can fight the ed thoughts. Walking a lot is a great way to see the sights and clear your head (loved walking to and from my old job), but it’s important to fuel enough for all of it so you don’t get hurt. You have too much exciting and fun stuff going on in Boston to let that happen!

February 27, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Seriously Caitlin, I just keep telling myself I want to be independent here and healthy and take care of myself. Because I deserve that and deserve to explore!

9. Amanda @ .running with spoons.

February 27, 2014 at 2:23 PM

It’s great to hear that you’ve been settling in so well, girl! And don’t beat yourself up for the occasional stumble or slip up — it happens to us all, especially when we’re trying to adjust to a new routine. You better believe that I experienced more than my fair share of bad workouts as a result of under fuelling… It can be tricky to know how much our bodies need when our activity levels vary, but each slip up teaches us something so that we’re able to do better next time. There’s no such thing as having everything figured out — we just do the best we can.

February 27, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Thanks Amanda, it’s so true, and I made sure to pack an extra snack today in case I get extra hungry prior to the gym! An action taken as a result of my lesson learned.

10. jenn @ runnderlust

February 27, 2014 at 5:43 PM

I am excited to hear about your new adventures in Boston! What a beautiful and historic city.

February 28, 2014 at 11:29 AM

I’m excited to share them!

11. Brittany @ Delights and Delectables

February 27, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I’m so glad that you are settling well there! I’m loving following your journey. I’ve def gone into a workout not properly fueled and I learned my lesson. That is a terrible feeling to feel weak and shaky!

February 28, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Blah, it really is.

February 27, 2014 at 8:11 PM

It was so fun for me to read this post because it takes me back to my big move out to DC about four years ago. You will learn so much about yourself and will be amazed by what you are capable of. Very happy for you!

February 28, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Thank you so much Lindsay for always supporting my journey!

13. Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate

February 28, 2014 at 2:37 AM

Your first day outfit is adorable, you have definitely mastered the braid! I haven’t had a dishwasher in years except when I stayed with my parents for the summer so I have gotten veryyy good and dirtying as small amount of dishes as possible. This also means that plenty of paper towels have been wasted in their use as makeshift plates. Oops.

February 28, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Tell that to the 5 braids I pulled out and re-did this morning, oops!

14. Megan (The Lyons' Share)

March 1, 2014 at 6:23 PM

I am SO happy to hear that you are loving your new life so far, and I’m proud of you for realizing what your body needs. You’re rocking this, girl!

15. Meredith @ DareYouTo

March 1, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Sounds like a great first week!!

March 8, 2014 at 7:50 PM

You’re too freaking cute! Love the headband/ear warmer. Sounds like you’re doing amazingly so far and I’m so proud of you for all of your cooking and gym efforts along with taking advantage of the new city and going out. You’re rocking xoxo