Getting My Marvelous Priorities Straight

I am blogging today from Mexico and seriously planned for the last week to title this post “Marvelous Mexico”. But I have other stuff on my mind today because I woke up the morning of my departure with yet another illness. Seriously, I never used to get sick and this is the second time in two weeks. Has anyone else ever moved from the suburbs to the city and suddenly found themselves getting sick more often? Let’s hope this isn’t a continuing trend.

Thanks Katie for hosting this link-up every week!

Whenever I go on vacation, I like to work out first thing in the morning so I can feel less guilty about the rest of the day just laying out in the sun, going outside my food/drink box a bit more, and being fairly inactive in general. Some people like to spend their vacations exploring their surroundings and doing outdoor activities. That’s fine, but to be honest I like to sit on my butt in the sun and go out to eat.

i just couldn’t not have a drink with the rest of my family to celebrate our arrival at the hotel, but it definitely knocked me out.

And that’s what my family (AKA travel companions) pretty much likes to do too, so it hasn’t been very fun the last couple of days watching them lounge at the swim-up bar, go out to eat, get to do their workouts, and stay out after dinner to explore the Cancun bars. Meanwhile I spent the first night here curled up in a bed alternating between shivering and sweating, lights out by 8PM. I had planned for my travel day to be a rest day and wasn’t so bothered by the fact that it of course ended up being just that, but yesterday was supposed to be a day when I hit the gym first thing in the morning, ready to kill it with cardio/arms/abs. Instead I woke up feeling better but certainly not up for the gym, so I enjoyed breakfast on our deck after taking a quick walk to grab iced coffee.

My mom went to the grocery store our first day here, so I thankfully had a “routine” breakfast available to me.

I really was starting to feel better yesterday until I had lunch (and a drink) mid-day. Suddenly my fever came back and I was shivering out by the pool. But I couldn’t bear the thought of not moving, not working out, so I forced myself to go on a beach walk. And I couldn’t make it very far, walking back as quickly as I could and feeling close to tears as I made it to the bar and ordered a ton of water, stat. All I wanted to do was have a refreshing drink at lunch and hang out by the pool with my family. I couldn’t even do that, I couldn’t get in my activity, and it absolutely resulted in a crying session.

Yesterday's lunch - salmon, arugula salad with pecans & strawberries, hearts of palm, raspberry vinaigrette on the side.

Yesterday’s lunch – salmon, arugula salad with pecans & strawberries, hearts of palm, raspberry vinaigrette on the side.

image

No one could say my lunches haven’t been very healthy – day one lunch of salad with figs, blueberries, raspberries, and baked pears.

I decided at that point that I needed to get my priorities straight. My priority should not be doing all I can on this trip to be as skinny and toned as I wish to be. I’m not going to change how my body looks this week, be it for the better or worse. In all likelihood I will be going back to the US in the same size pants, with them fitting the same way, as I wore when I came here. What should be my priority is getting better as soon as possible so that I can enjoy my time in Mexico. My priority should be feeling grateful that I’m even here, and not down in the dumps because I can’t work out.

If I’m going to be sick, it may as well be while waking up to this view.

And like it or not, what made me feel a little better yesterday was not my attempt at a beach walk. It was taking a hot bath, watching The Holiday, and eating half a sleeve of crackers. It doesn’t matter if that’s not my preferred way of feeling better. Yes it may make me feel mental discomfort, but what will make me MORE upset in the long run will be looking back on this trip and knowing I self-sabotaged my healing time and could’ve been better earlier in the trip if I had just taken it easy. So no more. I’m going to get better. I’m not going to ask myself before I make decisions not whether my actions will make me skinnier, or keep me from gaining weight. I’m going to ask myself if they will help me FEEL better. Because I deserve to feel better and enjoy marvelous Mexico.

Have you ever had the back luck of getting sick on vacation?

Do you try to stick to a healthy eating and workout routine while on vacation?

Do you have trouble putting your well being before your body image battles?

25 Responses to "Getting My Marvelous Priorities Straight"

March 17, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Ugh I feel you on this. You know I went through so,ething similar in Florida a few weeks ago. While it was hard to shake at first, once I finally accepted my body needed rest, I was much more at peace with myself and able to appreciate the views, the sunshine, and being with family. Hang in there and I hope you feel better ASAP!

March 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Yes I am thinking of you this whole week because of your FL posts!

2. Jolene

March 17, 2014 at 12:52 PM

aww!!! I hope you feel better!! I was sick when I went to mexico a few years ago and staved it off the best I could! It was just borderline though, not full on, till I boarded the plane home, thankfully! I think you are right about priorities and just try to use the week to enjoy it, not cram in workouts. I try to stay active on trips too but sometimes your body just needs REST and I think this week may prove just that for you. You look fantastic, and one week won’t change that at all (my mind plays this game with me too, I SO hear you and get it). enjoy your trip, hope you feel better!

March 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Ah good thing you avoided it until you got home! Thanks for understanding where I’m coming from. Maybe this rest is just what I need!

March 17, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I definitely get anxiety when I can’t work out on vacation. But I have to just force myself to feel uncomfortable and divert my attention to other things that bring me joy – like cocktails and lounging around! I always think I am bound to gain weight and feel crappy, but the truth is that the rest actually makes me stronger when I get back and I never gain any weight – it is all in my head. Our bodies are smarter then we think :) I think it is awesome that you wrote this post – you have decided to turn around your outlook. I know you will get better fast and have an amazing trip! It is snowing in DC, I am so jealous of you btw ;)

March 17, 2014 at 7:49 PM

I often feel guilty about the fact that cocktails and lounging bring me joy – how lame is that?! I am feeling a lot better today though and am hoping to get in a run tomorrow…I’m ready to go, man! And you’re so right about our bodies being smarter than we think. My body is way more rational and intelligent than my silly mind that’s fo sho.

4. Liz @ I Heart Vegetables

March 17, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Being sick is the worst :( And you’ve got multiple “healthy” battles going on so I’m sure that makes it even harder. I hope you get better, and you’re able to relax and enjoy your time in the sun!

March 17, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Yeah the battle between caring about how I look and feel is definitely there. Thanks Liz!

March 17, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling well lady! Hopefully some R & R will have you feeling better soon. It sounds like you’ve come around to what you need to do in order to feel better (i.e. not worry about getting in movement, but instead relaxing and focusing on what’s going to make you feel better), so I think you’ll be good.

March 17, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Thanks Sam, faith in me coming from you always means a lot.

6. Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine

March 17, 2014 at 3:38 PM

O gosh, feel better sweetheart! At least you can take the off time to recoperate in a beautiful environment and not have to worry about going to work. But that is still a huge bummer :/ Get well! XOXOXOX

March 17, 2014 at 7:43 PM

It’s true, I’m sure if I was at work this week I’d be stressing about missing work!

7. Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate

March 17, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Aw I am so sorry to hear you aren’t feeling well, that timing is certainly tough. I think it is definitely good to focus on getting better and enjoying your vacation though. Sending some healing thoughts your way!

8. Maria @ Pappa Don't Preach

March 17, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Such a bummer that you’re not feeling well but judging from your pics today it looks like you may be feeling better!! The best thing to do is take it easy and enjoy the little things when you’re there. I’m sure the sun has magical healing powers and you’ll wake up feeling 100% better!

March 18, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I was feeling better Monday (wrote the post Sunday) thank you!!

9. Kelly

March 18, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Absofuckinglutely you deserve to feel better and enjoy your vacation, at least you got to have a few laughs already? Nick is also major sick right now, so I think it is the change in weather because he didn’t even get sick when I had the flu.

I hope you are already feeling better and having a fabulous time! xoxo

March 19, 2014 at 11:49 AM

LOL at the laughs comment. Many laughs. Two laughs, perhaps it’ll be three. Get well soon nick!

March 19, 2014 at 1:18 AM

Good for you for recognizing that you want to feel better to enjoy the trip. You most definitely deserve to enjoy yourself and your time with your family. I’m sorry that you had a couple of rough days but I hope the sunshine and those amazingly delicious looking meals are helping you feel better. Proud of you xoxo

11. Missy

March 20, 2014 at 1:04 PM

How Caitlin got her groove back. (0:

Sending wished of wellness your way!

12. Arman @ thebigmansworld

March 21, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Hey pal! Just playing major catchup- Hope things are going well and your enjoying Me-hico.

I can completely relate to moving to a city from the ‘burbs and getting sick- Also the internal working environment and conditions (this sounds so lame, but even airconditioning/heating turned on differently can affect your body!)

Hope you focus on just enjoying yourself and embracing the beauty of where you are ;)

March 22, 2014 at 4:01 PM

I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one who reacts to moving to a city by absorbing ALL the germs! No pressure on the catch-up you’re playing. I’ve been working on the same.

13. Jana

March 25, 2014 at 7:06 AM

Hey! I have nominated you for the Liebster award! Visit this page to see your nomination => http://janabananaRD.wordpress.com

March 26, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Thanks Jana! I will definitely have to check that out.