Hey guys! It’s been a whirlwind week but today is my Friday because tomorrow I am off to University of Tennessee to visit my little sister and I can’t wait! SEC football and tailgating – there’s nothing better. Also can’t wait to see my Nana Connie (grandma) and a bunch of my parents’ old friends that I haven’t seen since I was a few feet tall. Oh, and the libations consumed during tailgating should be fun too 😉 I will try to take lots of pics!
Last night I went to my first Zumba class at the gym near my office. I did Zumba a lot at UConn and it was awesome, but the gym near my house offers classes that I haven’t found challenging enough. Happy to report that this class’s choreography was, though not as heart-pumping as I usually like, more advanced and the music was great. I really loved the instructor’s energy too.
I was still craving that peak-HR that I like to try to get to in each cardio workout though, so I hopped on the treadmill and put it at a 1.0 incline. I decided to try to accomplish the goal I’ve had for a couple of years of running a sub-8 minute mile. And after 7 minutes and 55 seconds of feeling like I might die (well, maybe in the last few minutes I felt that way), I DID IT! I love accomplishing mini goals like that and I left feeling pretty awesome.
This morning I woke up really early for no reason, and since I have class tonight I thought it would be good to squeeze a workout in. I did 30 minutes of total body strengthening using my body weight. It was no joke – just goes to show there is plenty that you can do with absolutely NO equipment! I like to call these “hotel room workouts” and thought I’d share with you all what I did. Remember I’m not a trainer, and always check with your doctor before starting a new workout!
Hotel Room Workout (try to move from one move to next without stopping!)
- 30 second plank, 30 second side plank, 30 second plank, 30 second other side plank, 30 second plank
- 25 opposite arm-and-leg lifts each side
- 25 glute kickbacks each leg (end each leg with 25 pulses)
- 25 fire hydrants each leg (end each leg with 25 pulses)
- 25 one-armed tricep push-ups each arm
- 25 tricep push-ups (had to do this with my knees down)
- 25 lying oblique leg raises each leg (end each with 25 pulses)
- 25 lying side oblique crunches each side
- 25 inner thigh lifts each side
- 25 lying butt bridges (both legs on ground), 25 lying butt bridges (left leg), 25 lying butt bridges (right leg)