Virtual Cookie Swap

When Rachel mentioned a Virtual Cookie Swap, I volunteered immediately. Then I started getting a little nervous. I mean, I love eating. Obviously. But I’m still living with my parents…hence, I don’t cook. Ever! It’s not that I’m one of those people who can’t boil water without messing it up. It’s just that I don’t ever have a need to cook, so I don’t. And there are plenty of amazing, ridiculously talented cooks, bakers, etc in the blog world that I am certain could out-bake me any day.

But then I decided to end my pity party and turn to one of those fabulous baking bloggers to help me decide what to bake! I knew I wanted to use two items I had acquired in the past couple of months, but hadn’t gotten a chance to use yet.

I got the above dark chocolate squares from my local Whole Foods – for FREE! They posted on their Facebook page that the first “X” number of people to like the status could come in that weekend and pick up a free bag of candy that didn’t get sold for Halloween. Waste not! I was all over that.

I also wanted to utilize the buckwheat groats that Tara got me for November’s foodie pen pal exchange. So, I turned to my old friend Google, and that’s how I found Luisa of The Wednesday Chef and her chocolate chip cookies with buckwheat groats. Please visit her website for this recipe – it is her property! The only change I made was using dark chocolate instead of semisweet, and I did not use almond extract (because I couldn’t find it at the store).

First, I mixed my brown sugar, butter (the real stuff!), eggs, and vanilla extract in a big bowl.

Secondly, I mixed my salt, baking soda, buckwheat groats, and whole wheat flour into the wet ingredients.

This took a bit of arm strength – and with a rubbery bendy spoon too! Oops.

Third, I broke a bunch of the dark chocolate squares into chunks by hand. Is it weird that it was a bit fun? Kinda therapeutic!

Fourth, I lined the cookies up on some special silver cookie baking trays we have. They honestly make a big difference whenever my mom makes cookies on those pans instead of regular ones!

Here’s where another recipe difference comes in – instead of baking the cookies for 6 minutes, flipping the pan, and then cooking for another 6 minutes, I did 5 minutes. Every oven is different!

And voila! I removed them from the trays fairly soon after taking them out of the oven – otherwise the trays continue to cook the cookies, and they get too hard.

My family and I did some taste testing of course. Our household approves – these taste indulgent, despite the healthy whole wheat flour and buckwheat used in the recipe. Maybe it was that real butter and Splenda-less brown sugar? ;-)

Thanks to Rachel for putting on such a fun virtual blogger event, and to Luisa for an inspired recipe!

What’s your favorite “healthified” cookie type?

12 Responses to "Virtual Cookie Swap"

1. Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean

December 6, 2011 at 9:05 AM

these are so fun!!!! can’t wait to try

• Caitlin C.

December 6, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Are you doing the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap?

2. Rachel @ The Avid Appetite

December 6, 2011 at 10:37 AM

these look really great Caitlin! I adore the addition of buckwheat and of making a healthier cookie! Thank you so much for participating :)

• Caitlin C.

December 6, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Thank YOU so much for hosting! Great job organizing!

December 6, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Mmmmm….they look yummy and I love buckwheat :)
    I think my next attempt at cookies will use almond flour, which is healthier for me due to an issue with grains, and I also like to use ZSweet (which is like Truvia) to avoid blood sugar spikes. As long as cookies taste good healthified, they’re good in my book!

• Caitlin C.

December 6, 2011 at 7:12 PM

I have baked with Splenda sugar/brown sugar before and it didn’t compromise taste, but sometimes artificial sweeteners make me feel crappy. If I’m gonna use a real sugar id much rather use brown than white. I think less of it goes a longer way than white. I would love to try almond flour! I’ve had chips before with chickpea flour and they were fabulous – got them at Target too!

4. Joanna@drizzleofsunshine

December 6, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Yum! These look great!I love how you healified them. Now I can eat all I want right? :) My favorite healthified cookie has to be the carrot cake cookies! They have real carrot, very little sugar, and they are so soft and moist!

• Caitlin C.

December 6, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Now those Ive gotta try. Carrot cake is my favorite cake flavor after all!

5. talida

December 8, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Caitlin! Thank you for these cookies! :D I can confirm that they *do* taste great, and I love that crunchy texture the buckwheat groats add. I’m so glad I participated in the swap and that I got to know your blog through it :)

• Caitlin C.

December 8, 2011 at 1:31 PM

That is so very wonderful to hear! I will be posting a more extensive post on these cookies on the day of the official Great Cookie Swap posting day (this Monday) so look out for that! I am so glad you like them because I know that you definitely know what you’re doing when it comes to baking hahah

6. Pingback: The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap! « Cait Plus Ate