Christmas Eve…Two Weeks Later?

You have just a little over 24 hours left to enter the FitFluential Inc. giveaway for Anytime Fitness CEO Chuck Runyon’s new book, “Working Out Sucks! (And Why It Doesn’t Have To)!” Three people will win!

I’m very aware that Christmas Eve was two weeks ago. I’m also very aware that the dinner I ate that day was awesome and too great not to share. So without further ado, I give you Christmas Eve dinner.

Christmas Eve was a whirlwind of a day. After we were done being famous and eating breakfast in NYC, my dad, sister, and I got right in the car and headed back to CT. What was the reason behind our hurry to get back? Another beloved holiday tradition of course – our family friends, the Peredas, host a Christmas Eve pig roast dinner each year! Since they had an early flight out to Florida the next morning, the gathering was pushed to an earlier time than usual, and became more of a mid-afternoon “linner”.

The Peredas are Cuban, and love to serve an entire roasted pig (that they cook on their back deck), rice, and beans, along with traditional salads, appetizers, and desserts that guests bring.

Broc casserole, corn casserole, and cheesy potatoes.

Joe and I arrived a bit late due to our wine-tasting stop, so some appetizers had been almost entirely cleaned out, but there was certainly no shortage of delicious food.

Mmm veggie madness!

Joe, AKA typical boy who doesn’t seem to care about or ever want food, wasn’t very hungry. I was though! I don’t like ham much, but the Peredas’ party is the only time I ever eat it, because this freshly-roasted pig is just SO good! The black beans, which they usually bring in from Pollo Tropical, were homemade this year because the nearest location closed. And they were actually the best they’ve ever been, so way to go Mrs. Pereda!

Joe's plate…lame.

My plate (and wine)…awesome.

And of course, more red wine was had! How could I not when I had so many delicious foods that paired well with it, like kalamatas?

I chatted with the Gerbers, who I’d just seen a couple days before at the Andersons’ get-together, and a bunch of other family friends that I hadn’t had the chance to catch up with in a few months.

Amazingly talented Mollie (she just got into the Mass Institute of Art!) and I.

Got to wear my new Kohl’s skirt from Black Friday! First time pairing a skirt with tights and heels, and I loved it.

Megan (she's a nutrition student!) and I.

My mom, me, and Mr. Gerber (Mollie and Megan's dad). They match!

Not long after my (late) arrival, dessert came out! So many options, but I had about one sample of each.

Cream cheese and almond stuffed strawberries – surprisingly, I didn’t like these too much! It’s just because the almond flavor was very strong. I can only take so much almond in anything. Everyone else adored them though – Vivian did a great job. Don’t trust me, I’m an almond-avoider!

If you weren't drooling yet, you are now.

She also made these mint chocolate chip cookies, which were perfectly gooey and didn’t skimp at all on the chocolate, just the way I like it. They reminded me of the cookies I got from my wine-twin Meg of Eat, Drink, and Be Sperry in the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap!

Casual Steve stood guard over the other desserts pictured – many holiday cookies, including leftovers from Mrs. Anderson’s goodies!

I didn’t have any of the above creation because it was made with cherries, which are definitely one of my least favorite foods of all time. Too many cough syrup associations…but cherry lovers dove in!

One of our friends, Mr. Andries, happens to have a birthday on Christmas Eve! So the party was also a celebration for him. His daughter, Courtney, picked out the most fabulous red velvet Coldstone Creamery ice cream cake ever, made with cheesecake ice cream – which happens to be my favorite Coldstone flavor!

We all got a bit carried away with the birthday wishes, and followed up Mr. Andries’s birthday song with one for my mom, whose birthday was the day before. And then we expanded to other December birthdays…November birthdays…things started getting out of hand when we began singing to Mariel, whose birthday was back in early October.

Parents are into it.

My mom is loving it.

Nice bunny ears move, Mr. Pereda!

OK…can I have my cake now?!

Now that’s what I’m talking about. Hands down, best ice cream cake I’ve ever had.

The fun wasn’t over yet…I’m not even sure if these came out before or after the birthday singing, but it doesn’t really matter. What does matter is that Vivian had another success in the kitchen, and we all certainly benefitted.

I give you – butterscotch liqueur and caramel apple shots!

Now, I don’t like apples. But who couldn’t love these?

Sorry, Joe.

What a festive Christmas Eve! I think this may have been the best Pereda pig roast ever.

Afterwards, my family and I headed home to open presents – our first time doing so on the 24th, since our planes to Florida left early in the morning on Christmas Day. I definitely didn’t like it as much as the whole Christmas morning routine, but I couldn’t really complain because I just wanted to get on that plane to the warmth!

So you guessed it, this means I can finally start recapping my trip to Florida. I may finish writing about things that happened in December 2011 in…I don’t know…March 2012? Sounds about right :-P

Have you ever been to a pig roast or something similar? What’s your favorite place to get ice cream cake?

29 Responses to "Christmas Eve…Two Weeks Later?"

1. Kelsey @ The Secret Life of Kelsey

January 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM

OMG! Those strawberries look AWESOME!

I’ve never had an apple shot, but they look yummy and fun :)

2. Liz @ Southern Charm

January 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I’m just drooling EVER where!! Everything looks AMAZING!!

I’ve never had a roast, but I’d love to have some!

Oh and fruit jello shots? Love!!! I’ve only done oranges with orange jello shots, but those apple ones look amazing!!

• Caitlin C.

January 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM

OMG I’m an orange lover and so is my little sis, I’d love that, though I don’t like Jell-O. Maybe oranges with chocolate liquer shots?!?! Ah!!

3. Jocelyn

January 5, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Love the skirt! So cute. Is it from the Lauren Conrad collection?

• Caitlin C.

January 5, 2012 at 11:37 AM

No, but I ADORE her collection and have a dress from it that I have yet to wear (also pleated)! It’s from Vanessa Hudgens Candie’s in the teen section! Hahaha

4. christina

January 5, 2012 at 1:24 PM

joe’s plate is depressing. i like yours!! LOVE your skirt. omg so cute.

• Caitlin C.

January 5, 2012 at 1:29 PM

He is so weird. He just doesn’t like food. He gets full after two bites. And thank you! Yay Kohl’s :)

5. twistedsistersdesign

January 5, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Those apples look so yummy :) Btw how can you not like apples? They are like the best fruit ever, and so many different sorts to choose from :D Love the pics, ice cake looks delicious! The skirt is adorable, looks great on you, especially with that necklace.

• Caitlin C.

January 5, 2012 at 1:30 PM

People think I’m so weird b/c I don’t like apples…or grapes…or watermelon! Yes, I’m a weirdo, at least I know it. Thank you so much for the compliments! Gotta love Kohl’s for affordable fashion, and Joe actually got me that necklace.

• twistedsistersdesign

January 5, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Ok, I can get not liking grapes, and I support voting cherries out of the dessert recipes…but watermelon!!! It’s so sweet…and juicy…and watery! But we are all weirdos, in one way or the other :) You are very welcome. Oh and congrats to Joe on his great taste (he’s a keeper)!

• Caitlin C.

January 5, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Funny story, he is actually my ex haha, but we remain friends! And watermelon’s watery weird consistency is the main reason why I don’t like it haha

• twistedsistersdesign

January 5, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Hahahaha, that is great, then he is a keeper friend (which you obviously already now, haha) :) I actually stayed friends with most of my exes, but I live in a very small city and we all run into each other every now and again…Sooo to make it not weird we are all friends :) (now that I say it I realize how weird it actually sounds)

6. emily (a nutritionist eats)

January 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Wow, that is a great Christmas Eve – definitely worth posting after the fact!
    Love that skirt too!

• Caitlin C.

January 5, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Thanks, I was nervous about whether or not I could pull it off, but the compliments I’m getting on it have totally reassured me haha

7. Elizabeth Laurel

January 5, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Look how cute you are in pearls and a ruffly pink skirt!!! :-) Sounds like you had a blast!

• Caitlin C.

January 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Thank you :) felt like getting cutesy haha

January 5, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Great re-cap!
    I want some pig :)
    I have been to a pig roast–it’s a big thing around here with us country folks. haha. Some people have been known to have a pig roast wedding reception, and although I may say it’s tacky, I really enjoy it!

Love the outfit!

We have a local ice cream place here, and they make all their ice cream “homemade” so the ice cream cakes and ice cream sandwiches are amazing!

• Caitlin C.

January 5, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Thanks for the compliment! That sounds so fun. I love the south. Everyone is so much more chill than they are up here.

9. Lauren

January 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Looks like an absolute blast! The wine looks amazing (as always). Is that a Red Velvet Ice Cream Cake I see?

• Caitlin C.

January 5, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Yes yes with cheesecake ice cream!!

10. Pingback: Rest Days, Christmas Day, and Too-Jay’s « Cait Plus Ate

11. megmull

January 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM

ummm pretty sure this is the first time any one has linked to my blog minus the Great Blogger Cookie Swap!!!! LOVE IT and you.. christmas eve looks yummy and so fun!!!

12. Pingback: New Year’s Eve: The Homebody Edition « Cait Plus Ate