Lisa’s Five Bean Salad

Believe it or not, I don’t cook. That’s right – I mooch. I live at home and eat my mom’s cooking. I make a salad every day for lunch, but I don’t consider this cooking. I go out and pay restaurants to feed me. I have not cooked or baked anything since the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap in December.

Talk about working backwards…this is me on Easter Sunday with the finished product!

But this year Easter was being celebrated at my house, and I felt like contributing. I felt domestic. And thanks to Lisa, I felt inspired when I was reading her blog one day and saw that she had posted a recipe for a Five Bean Salad.

Missing from this photo are olive oil and frozen shelled edamame.

I followed Lisa’s recipe, but used goat cheese instead of feta. I love feta cheese, but goat is my favorite!

I started by rinsing and draining the chickpeas, kidney beans, and black beans in a colander.

The above green beans came in their own steam-able bag, so I microwaved them and set them out on a plate to cool off a bit. Per Lisa’s instructions, I cut the ones that were going into the salad in half and also cut the “string” ends off.

I smugly put the rest of the green beans in a container to use throughout the week. In fact, I added them to both yesterday and today’s lunch salads, and last night’s dinner too! Helps to be prepped when eating healthy.

I added the green beans to the other three beans in a mixing bowl, and threw in minced onions, salt, pepper, and lime juice as well.

Then it occured to me that I’d forgotten to prepare and include the frozen shelled edamame. D’oh! It was super easy to defrost in the microwave. I’ve never bought edamame before, I just eat it when I’m dining out at Asian restaurants or at my local Whole Foods salad bar. I think I’ll have to reconsider.

MORE smug leftovers that I’ve been nommin’ on already!

I added the edamame and then the GOAT CHEESE. Of course I saved the best for last!

An unexpected perk that came from using goat instead of feta – goat cheese has a creamier consistency and totally coated all the beans (yes, all five types ;-)). Win!

This forgetful cook was then reminded by her mother that she’d forgotten the olive oil. First the edamame, now this! Can’t forget that EVOO. I added 1.5 tablespoons.

TA-DA! Was there ever an easier side dish for a non-cooking moocher like me to make?! I don’t think so!

I let it veg (ha – punny) overnight in the fridge. I also didn’t try it before I served it. Yes, I like to live on the edge! Or…that thought didn’t even occur to me. I am NOT used to cooking, I told you!

The results though? Everyone LOVED the dish. There was barely any left but I’m honestly glad there was some because I was able to finish it off at dinner last night :) mixed with extra green beans, edamame, black beans, marinara sauce, and turkey meatballs! It was what I like to call a hodge-podge of leftovers.

Thank you so much to Lisa for providing such an easy, healthy, tasty recipe for me to make and share with family and friends!

How often do you cook? Are you a “fraud” aka a food blogger that doesn’t cook, like me?

What are your favorite healthy dishes to bring to parties?

35 Responses to "Lisa’s Five Bean Salad"

1. runcupcake

April 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM

HAHAHA This post cracked me up. I live at home too, so I don’t cook near as often as I did when I lived by myself, and you’ll always know when I DO cook! That recipe looks delish, I’m totally going to try it!

April 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM

let me and lisa know if you do, girl!

2. trialsinfood

April 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Looks delicious! I like all the bright colors. Mooch until you can mooch no more! I’m married now so I only get to mooch once a week if I’m lucky. ;)

April 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM

that’s what i’m sayin, as long as i work so close to home and am unattached in the romance dept, i see no reason to move out! after all i’m only newly 23!

3. runwiki

April 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I feel like your my cyber daughter, you know I adore you and, I am thrilled and honored that you loved this salad as much I do. It is even easier than making toast. I try to stick with recipes that give you confidence and having three little kids I don’t have time to make something that has a long list of ingredients. I love that used Chevre (Goat Cheese) it looks like it made it creamy.. yum heaven. Hope your Easter was a good one…You are the best. xo

April 10, 2012 at 1:01 PM

you have no idea how honored and touched that comment just made me feel from the first sentence! omg you just made me want to put this bean salad ON toast, ha! ooh you called it chevre, miss fancy ;-) i always call it goat cheese when it’s in crumbles and chevre when it comes in one of those logs, weird right?! easy recipes like this are certainly an essential for a busy mama like you! <33

4. Amanda Bella

April 10, 2012 at 12:22 PM

This looks so yummy and super easy! Definitely a recipe to try!

April 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM

This sounds great—-and manageable! I go through phases with cooking. Right now I’ve been baking a lot, but cooking sometimes escapes me for long spans of time!

April 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM

you certainly HAVE been cooking a lot! haha i think of you as a maestro.

6. Claire @ Live & Love to Eat

April 10, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Love the look of this! It would even be a meal on top of a salad.

7. funfreshfit

April 10, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Ahh this looks so delish!! I LOVE bean and bean salad so much! Such a great summery recipe :)

April 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM

i know, makes me so pumped for warm months to come!

8. Yellow Haired Girl

April 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Wow! What a fancy looking dish – but it definitely gets bonus points for being so dang easy! And with that many different colors (PLUS edamame), you can’t really go wrong…

I cook everyday! I live alone … no one else is going to do it for me ;)

April 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I know, I love the colors, so pretty!

9. Casey (@HippieHealthNut)

April 10, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I’m a sucker for anything with a lot of colors. :) I love fruit and veggie plates with hummus and easy snacks like nuts. I know it’s simple, but it’s what I like!

April 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I have a gorgeous photo of the veggie hummus plate from the Easter party to post soon! Colors are the best!

10. Paige @ Running Around Normal

April 10, 2012 at 4:08 PM

That’s crazy!! haha
    This salad looks yummy :)

11. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate

April 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM

How can you be a foodie and not cook? ;)

12. GOtheXtraMile

April 10, 2012 at 7:12 PM

That looks awesome! I swear goat cheese makes everything better.

13. Kierston

April 10, 2012 at 8:32 PM

It looks amazing! Now I want to make some!

I love bringing my Hummus and Olive Tapenade dip :)

April 10, 2012 at 8:48 PM

omg recipe?! did you already post it? my friend bethany at morefruitplease.wordpress.com makes a great sundried tomato tapenade too!

14. Lauren

April 10, 2012 at 8:42 PM

mmm looks good. Goat cheese is definitely one of my favorites!

April 10, 2012 at 8:48 PM

had it with another fave – WINE

15. Meg (A Dash of Meg)

April 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM

HAHA! A fraud food blogger :p that is too funny. This looks amazing by the way :) YUMMM

April 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Haha that’s awesome. I would say I’m mostly a “fraud” because I do try new recipes, but they are ridiculously easy, I’m sure my cat could make them and I most likely make the same meals/snacks over again until I’m sick of them. Blogging frequently is helping me get out of this pattern though :) Goat cheese is the bestttt cheese out there! I love it with strawberry jam and an egg, new fave!!

April 11, 2012 at 11:11 AM

lol you should buy your cat an apron then maybe he/she will be driven to make them for you! ;-) omg that egg jam goatchz combo sounds too good to be true. is it a runny egg?! essential!

17. Christine McCarthy (@OatmealBowl)

April 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

the salad looks delicious Caitlin! And you can never go wrong with an awesome salad at a family gathering!

glad to hear you can cook. ;) hehe. j/k.

18. Asuma

April 11, 2012 at 1:46 AM

I really should incorporate goat cheese into my meals more often! I only ever eat them when I’m out. Oh, and by the way, I consider making salads COOKING (for me, any food prep = cooking; yeah I’m that lazy)!

April 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM

ok between you and me, i cook EVERY DAY then ;-)

19. Elizabeth

April 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM

It’s funny, I’m always experimenting with new canned bean brands but Goya seems to be the cheapest and best.

April 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM

That’s the one my mom always buys!

20. Pingback: Easter 2012: Party at Mi Casa! « Cait Plus Ate