The Reformer Reformed: The Studio Empower

I was provided a complimentary class for review purposes. Opinions of the experience are my own.

After mentioning I was looking for a gym in Boston (I’ve since joined Boston Sports Club), I was contacted by The Studio Empower and asked to come in and try out a class. Located in Newton, the studio features the Lagree Fitness method and its tricked-out version of the pilates reformer. Each class is 45 minutes long and entails total body conditioning.

studioempower1

That thing looks intimidating, and it sure scared me at first, but my instructor Mo was so helpful and a very patient guide. The little yellow and red knobs on the machine affect the amount of resistance for each exercise and she was sure to let the class know her suggestions. She corrected my form a few times so that I’d get the most out of each exercise. The class was full and I like how small each one is, because that ensures the instructor can make sure everyone is using proper form and getting the most possible out of the workout.

studioempower2

We really did work total body, and the burning in my legs and glutes reminded me of how I’ve felt previously in barre classes. The upper body work required lots of core stabilization, which is always nice to sneak in there. And the outright core work featured many planks – so I felt right at home!

studioempower3

This move entailed moving my legs forward so that my body was in a pike position. Ouch!

The Studio Empower offers new students the chance to try a single class for $10, but the better option is the $45 three class pass. That way a new student can try a few different instructors and still save money (a drop-in class is $35). Then if someone decides to purchase a class package, he or she will already have knowledge of which instructor(s) are preferred, and will get the most for the money.

studioempower5

The workout was not super intense or cardio-involving, but I liked trying something new and went the day my cold was at its worst, so it just felt good to move without doing a workout that required much heavy breathing. I didn’t experience any soreness after the workout but everyone is different and I think if I had been feeling better, I would have been able to push harder or use more resistance. The Studio Empower is good for someone looking for a low-impact workout and the variety in the class made the time go by at a quick pace. Though I personally would not pay the “sticker price” for these classes, I am grateful I got to experience one and was impressed by the very clean studio, personal instructor experience, and a chance to keep my body guessing.

This move involved sliding the back foot forward and back (going up and down in a lunge) while holding a pole, which meant my shoulders were also working.

Have you ever tried a reformer fitness class?

Do you prefer group fitness in a gym or studio environment?

14 Responses to "The Reformer Reformed: The Studio Empower"

1. Jen

March 7, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Funny timing – I took my first Megaformer class at BTone Fitness in the Back Bay this week! I’m such a Pure Barre addict that I felt like I was cheating on them a bit taking the class, but it was definitely tough and I am still SO SORE days after my class on Tuesday. (I had bought a Gilt voucher for 4 classes and now I’m kinda regretting it because I miss mah barre). The instructor I had was kind of brusque and got my name wrong the whole time…which was definitely a bit off-putting. Great workout, though!

March 8, 2014 at 3:10 PM

I tend to regret buying vouchers for more than one or two of a class too! I always wanna go back to my usual “fave” workouts.

2. Alysia @ Slim Sanity

March 7, 2014 at 9:57 AM

That does look a little intimidating! I’ve never tried a pilates class ever

March 8, 2014 at 3:10 PM

I absolutely needed the instructor’s guidance!

3. Brittany @ Delights and Delectables

March 7, 2014 at 11:21 AM

I have always wanted to try a reformer class!! Looks amazing! ps… so do you! xoxo

March 7, 2014 at 1:24 PM

This looks like fun! My gym has the Pilates reformers, but I haven’t seen them offer a class with them yet. Which is too bad, because I’d like to try it sometime!

March 8, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I’m sure you will try it! you are a class trying maestro.

March 7, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Ironic that you posted this and I read it right after my Pilates apparatus class. I actually really enjoy it and wish it was more days a week to really notice a difference, but I agree that it’s a far cry from our usual intense cardio workouts. I’m glad you got to try it, it’s a fun workout and reallyyyyy good for the core which is personally my favorite body part to strengthen.

March 8, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I love strengthening my core! It’s definitely my favorite too.

6. Liz @ I Heart Vegetables

March 7, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I don’t know if I’d stick with it, but I love trying new classes :) I might have to keep an eye out for something like this in VA. I hope you’re loving Boston!

March 8, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Yeah same I tend to stick with the same workouts. It’s rare when I try a new class that I end up sticking with it beyond that one time. I’ve been doing the same “usual” workouts for a couple years now!

March 8, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I love trying new workouts.. this looks like a good way to change things up too! I’m sure you totally impressed everyone with your crazy planking skillz ;)

March 9, 2014 at 8:43 PM

I love the pictures you took. I am looking forward to taking my class after reading this. <3