Thanksgiving Eve With Nana C!

I have so much to say about the long Thanksgiving weekend and it will take several (as in four) posts to do so, but that’s okay. You guys can just look forward (I hope) to a week of  fun-filled recaps, with a pinch of thought-provoking reflections. I’m going to start by announcing the winner of the Gymdoll giveaway though…congrats to Amy! I will be contacting you about getting you your Skulls & Barbells active tank!

gymdollwinner

Last time my Nana Connie visited us (in June), I was bummed that I didn’t have time to take her to one of my special favorite restaurants. So I knew that for her Thanksgiving visit, I had to bring her with me to Barcelona West Hartford for Thanksgiving Eve. I spent the night before Thanksgiving there last year (with Molly) and it was so great! And who better to spend it with this year than Nana Connie?

11-27-13-thanksgivingeve4

She was enchanted the moment we entered and were greeted with enthusiastic “Hi Cait!”‘s from the staff. Nana Connie lives in an extremely small town (her entire county has just 45,000 people) and doesn’t get the chance to dine at interesting restaurants very often. The tapas menu had her in awe and really made me reflect on how lucky I am to visit these kinds of places so frequently!

Word of the year time!

I was on a mission to spoil Nana C, because no one deserves it more than her. I picked out a bottle of champagne (NV Gran Sarao Brut Cava from Penedes, Spain) and the always-awesome bartender Dan set her up with a bucket to keep it chilled.

11-27-13-thanksgivingeve1

I did my research beforehand and found this great page of cocktails that use port! So I asked Dan to make me one, the Bar Drake Manhattan (bourbon, maple syrup, ruby port, angostura bitters, brandied cherries). He did a fantastic job and it was gone way too quickly! Nana C tried her first brandied cherry and at the end of the night said it was her favorite thing she ate – ha! Screw you tapas, cocktail garnishes are the new hot thing.

We ended up selecting six tapas but ordered them two at a time, which I love doing to draw out my meal! And we had to take advantage of the weeknight 6 tapas for $49 tasting. I got a picture of all but one (the sunchokes).

We started with the crispy baby cabbages – the only tapa I will repeat-order!

Cheesy cauliflower with fennel - SO GOOD.

Cheesy cauliflower with fennel – SO GOOD.

Lamb bocadillos (which I discovered after they were served means sliders) with tzatziki sauce!

Nana C is game for any pic!

Nana C is game for any pic!

Spinach salad with a pickled egg! THIS WAS INCREDIBLE.

Japanese Eggplant Caponata!

Nana Connie also fell in love with the infamous Barcelona bread! I definitely could have eaten more of it if I didn’t want to go out after but I was trying to stay awake and a carb coma would not have helped me toward that goal!

Thanks Anna and Dan for the excellent srevice!

Thanks Anna and Dan for the excellent service!

1470001_2177275506468_588039764_n

A lovely receipt name for us!

I also got to introduce Nana Connie to my friend Chris! He loved her of course – it’s pretty difficult not to.

After dinner we headed over to Rooftop 120, because if I’m in West Hartford then I’m at Barcelona and if I’m in Glastonbury then I’m at Rooftop. I got another fun receipt there!

I shall claim this new title with pride!

I shall claim this new title with pride!

We met up with my sister and made some new friends. I will tell you who is NOT my friend…Jager. I had a raging headache the next morning and I definitely blame it on that. I will not accept another invitation to do Jager shots again. Hold me to it.

11-27-13-thanksgivingeve7

More selfies while waiting for my sister.

11-27-13-thanksgivingeve9

Me, Hannah, and Nana C!

11-27-13-thanksgivingeve10

This may or may not be one of my favorite photos ever. We look like an ad for a sitcom!

And the best part is, we were home by 11PM! The gym next morning was an EPIC struggle, but once I got some coffee in my system my Jager-headache disappeared. Luckily the amazing memories I made did not. I’m so thankful I could spoil Nana Connie with a night on the town(s)! I love Thanksgiving Eve…one of those nights when you know you’ll run into a bunch of friends, whether purposefully or by accident!

Did you go out on Thanksgiving Eve?

What’s your favorite memory with your grandmother?

35 Responses to "Thanksgiving Eve With Nana C!"

December 2, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Aww, your Nana is so cute! I’m so happy that you were able to show her such a good time. One of my grandmother’s passed away when I was six and the other when I was ten, so it makes me happy to see you enjoying spending time with yours – it’s so important!

And jager bombs….ugh. I’ve definitely learned my lesson with those…

December 2, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I agree Sam! I was lucky enough to be born with three sets of grandparents so six total, but now i have just three left. I want to spend so much time with them all!

2. Jen

December 2, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I/m really looking forward to reading your posts on Thanksgiving – your honesty is so refreshing!

BTW – LOVE your top!! Where did you get it??

December 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Thank you Jen! I’m glad you’re enjoying reading! I got my top at Forever 21 but alas I got it about 4 years ago!

3. Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots

December 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I bet your nana connie loved every second of being out with you and your sister! I think it’s so nice you got to take her to all your favorite spots! All the food looks delicious!

December 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Only one spot left to take her – Krust – and that is for her next visit!

December 2, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Haha I LOVE that your nana C went out with you guys! It looks like it was an absolute blast and she was probably so impressed by your status at the restaurants ;)

December 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM

She really loved it and said she felt like a celeb! Hahaha

5. Davida @ The Healthy Maven

December 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Your nana C seems like the coolest grandmother ever! And she’s beautiful too! You’re so famous you should probably run for mayor ;)

December 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Bahaha I don’t have any time in my schedule for that so I will stick with being “restaurant mayor”!

6. Christina

December 2, 2013 at 11:44 AM

That last picture is priceless. Y’all are both adorable!

December 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I’m not surprised you get a kick out of it too! ;)

December 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I’m glad you were able to get your Nana out and have fun together. I always think it’s so special to spend time with Grandparents, considering I only have one.
    Yah, jager is not my friend either. That may be my least favorite drink ever.
    Also that last photo is just amazing.

December 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I think it may even be more hated for me than Screwdrivers! And that’s saying a lot given all the bad memories (or lack thereof) I have with them!

8. Alex @ therunwithin

December 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM

so fun! I think the foodie-ness must run in your family. you guys are pros at picking the best dishes.

December 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I picked everything hahaha Nana C just sat back and said “Caitlin, take control!”

9. mindy

December 2, 2013 at 2:52 PM

That last picture is priceless. You guys def. do look like something out of a sitcom!!
    I think it is great that you were able to get your nana out and to some really delicious restaurants! I got to say that the spinach salad looks really yummy!

December 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM

It was just perfect and I could totally eat a bigger size of it for one of my daily salad lunches!

10. Cait @pieceofcait

December 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM

How Awsome is that your nana went out with you !!! :) oh Lordy I Had a headache too :-/ but always fun going out !

11. Arman @ thebigmansworld

December 2, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Actually looking forward to all your recaps- The postings on instagram made me vicariously live through you!

That is so kind of you to treat your grandma to some CaitLocals. Jager is without a doubt death straight up. With Red Bull- I don’t mind it tooo much. Have a great start to your week champ!

December 2, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Ah I consider red bull alone to be straight up death! Hahaha

12. Maria @ Pappa Don't Preach

December 2, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Ah, I love that you took your Nana to all of your spots!!! I love how outgoing your entire family is! Always up for a good time! The jager? I don’t blame you for not wanting that again! i used to do shots of jager (in the form of red headed sluts) all the time, but thats the only form in which I’ll drink jager. Otherwise, it’s a no-go. And just an FYI – Tommy Lee is a fan of the jager. This may or may not be why I’ve TRIED to enjoy it. ;)

December 2, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I’m sure he’d fall for you even minus a jäger love!

13. Hyedi

December 3, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I always love seeing your fun receipts :) I did not go out this year on Thanksgiving Eve, but I have spent some past Thanksgiving mornings a tad hungover :)

December 3, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Good thing more libations of Thanksgiving evening can serve as hair of the dog!

14. Kate

December 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Cait

Just visited your blog for first time in about 2 years. Your honesty re: your ED is refreshing. Recovery never ends… Kudos to you on your journey. This post with your Nana warmed my heart… She looks like a blast!

December 4, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Thank you for visiting and she IS a blast. I appreciate your comment!!

15. Susan

December 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I did not go out Thanksgiving Eve because I had my fair share of those in my early to mid 20s. And oh girl..Jager. Gah. One shot of Jager and I’m okay. Two shots and I completely black out and am going to be raging sick.

BTW: Your Nana C has beautiful eyes!

December 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM

One shot apparently gives me the worst headache of my life! And thanks I’ll tell her you said so. They really are lovely!

December 4, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Loved meeting Nana C, if only briefly, and now we MUST go to Barcelona. Also, I hate jager so I will definitely keep you accountable!

December 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I was so happy you got to meet her! Barcelona is way up on the list and Chops!

17. Megan (The Lyons' Share)

December 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Couldn’t possibly read this post without commenting on that awesome photo – the “sitcom” one. You guys are adorable! So glad you’re savoring time with your grandparents – I now only have one left, and I’m so grateful for the time I had with each of my other 3 grandparents.

December 10, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Haha glad you liked the pic as much as I did! I was lucky enough to be born with three sets of grandparents. It definitely made growing up more fun!

December 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM

LOVE Nana C (and that last pic)! This night looks like a blast and the food looks incredible. I need to come visit so I can go to these places with you :)