Tuttorosso Tomatoes Giveaway & Stew Recipe!
I received complimentary Tuttorosso Tomatoes to use for this post. This is not a sponsored post and all opinions are my own.
After doing my post for Redpack Tomatoes, I was approached by another brand from the Red Gold family – Tuttorosso Tomatoes, to do something similar. (That includes a GIVEAWAY at the end of this post by the way.)
That means I received another tomatoe-y gift pack – but this one with a nifty tote, which has since then obviously been used to tote around wine.
And an apron, which I admittedly have not yet used, but should probably consider busting out after how messy I got while making the recipe in this post (more on that later).
Oh yeah, and of course I received some awesome and supremely useful products, from Tomato Sauce to Crushed Tomatoes with Basil, from Peeled Plum Italian Style Tomatoes to Tomato Paste.
I decided to use the Crushed Tomatoes with Basil to make a stew, because what’s better in the winter time than a hearty stew?
Making this stew was certainly adventurous. Did you know that if you add crushed tomatoes to a pot that’s set to medium-high heat, said tomatoes will splatter back at you and find their way onto your shirt, arms, and stovetop, albeit at blistering hot temperatures? Well yeah, that is apparently a thing.
Once I jumped back, turned the stovetop, and texted my mom (it sure is great to be able to go to her for advice!), I found out that I needed the pan on low heat, with a lid on. Lessons learned every day!
But all’s well that ends well. The stew turned out great, and gave me a way to use my leftover wheat berries too! I had no problem polishing this off in a couple of evenings. The perfect cozy dish to enjoy while catching up on my shows! (Any night I stay in, you can find me eating dinner and watching TV. Because I don’t care what every fitness magazine says, watching TV is better with food.)
Hearty Italian Sausage Stew
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- 1 can of Tuttorosso Tomatoes Crushed Tomatoes with Basil
- 1 cup of uncooked wheat berries
- 1 package of uncooked sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 cup of chopped baby carrots
- 2 cooked chicken sausages (I used an Italian variety with Gruyere), chopped
- 1 Tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1-2 Tablespoons of EVOO
- Italian seasonings (to taste)
- Cook wheat berries in water on stove top on medium to high heat. Drain into colander.
- Put same pot back on stovetop, turn to medium heat. Add EVOO, mushrooms, carrots, chicken sausage, seasonings, and garlic. Sautee.
- Add cooked wheat berries and kidney beans. Continue to sautee.
- Turn heat to low (very important!), add crushed tomatoes, and stir together. Then put on lid.
- Let simmer until dish hits your desired thickness. Enjoy!
Now for the reason you may be here (I won’t be offended if that’s the case 😉 )…it’s time for a giveaway! Firstly, head to the Tuttorosso Tomatoes Facebook page to enter their Celebrate the Sauce giveaway. Every day someone wins a wooden spoon, every week 1,000 people wear an apron, and one person will win a 12-piece Martha Stewart cookware set. The giveaway is open until 12/23/14.
…And so is mine. Secondly, you can win the same Tuttorosso Tomatoes gift pack that I received. This giveaway is open to US residents only, and entries will be accepted until this Sunday 12/21 at 11:59PM EST. No purchase necessary – winner will have until 72 hours after being contacted to claim his/her prize. There is more than one way to enter, but be sure to leave a comment for each entry if you want multiples to count:
- Leave a comment on this post telling me your favorite hearty winter dish.
- Tweet “I entered to win @RedGoldTomatoes #TuttorossoTomatoes from @CaitPlusAte! http://caitplusate.com/?p=13544” and comment here with the link to the tweet.
- Visit the Instagram photo of my stew, and like it!