Five Things Friday: Linking Up!

Check out yesterday’s post to see a review, discount code, and GIVEAWAY for Ellovi Butter, a raw six-ingredient body butter created by my friend from high school!

I’ve done Five Things Friday (or some variation) posts in the past but this is the first one I’ve done since Clare started her link-up! And I have several different things to say today so it’s very appropriate timing. I love these kinds of posts because I don’t have to focus on one topic. I can just bop around and share different news/insights/etc. And what do you know…Clare featured one of my posts in her Five Things Friday today! Thank you Clare!

five-things-friday1

1. I got really full on Wednesday night. I felt anxious all day at work because not only did I do a morning (which means shorter than usual) workout, but I had dinner plans with Kat to eat in the Millwright’s Tavern. The staff at Millwright’s have a tendency to spoil me ;-) and I found myself future-tripping all day about whether or not that would happen. Well it did – Chef Tyler sent out some amazing appetizers after we’d ordered our (first) drinks and entrees.

Kale with 6-minute egg, tomatillos, blue cheese, bacon, &sweet onion vinaigrette.

I’m not ungrateful and if I could go back I would not change the fact that the appetizers were sent out. I love being able to try so many different menu items (the above kale was my favorite food of the night!) and I’m glad I didn’t let fear hold me back and stop me from trying some of everything.

Two Fall Soups In One: apple/chestnut&fall squash, mushrooms/fennel/squash seeds.

But then my entree came and I obviously still wanted to try that. So I did and I ate a good portion of it. And then Kat didn’t finish her burger so I finished that. And her fries. Because who needs dessert when there are thirds/fourths/etc of dinner to go around?

A work of food art…pork loin, apples & walnuts, delicata squash, johnny cake, smoked syrup.

I left Millwright’s with excellent memories and warm and fuzzies from being in a restaurant so very special to me. But I also did not sleep well that night because I kept waking up and thinking about how full I’d gotten. I kept beating myself up for not listening to my body, for letting myself overeat. I was being very hard on myself the next morning and didn’t like looking at my body in the mirror, but kept doing so to torture myself. But all feelings pass with time…some just take more than others. The next morning I was no longer full, but the mental feelings of guilt were long-lasting throughout the day. At least I wasn’t feel regret for missing out on all that food, right? Trying to stay positive here, people.

Me, Kat, and her neighbor Becca!

Me, Kat, and her neighbor Becca!

2. On a semi-related note…I’m starting to get that pre-Thanksgiving-week anxiety. It’s sooo dumb and annoying that good times bring bad thoughts but it’s true. My sister, brother, and grandma all get here on Tuesday and while I am psyched, we also have a lot of plans that will involve alcohol and food. I want to enjoy myself because everyone deserves to enjoy a holiday week with loved ones! It’s just going to take a lot of active reminding myself of that fact. Good thing Nana Connie and Hannah are both so good at reminding me to savor life and take advantage of all it offers me.

Nana Connie, Hannah, and I!

Nana Connie, Hannah, and I!

3. I’m continuing my quest for balanced weekends and being okay with the nights out. My mom returned from Florida yesterday and finally she, my dad, and I are together on a Friday night and able to go out for a meal. It seems like it’s been awhile (for me at least) since the three of us did that so we are going to keep it pretty low key and just hit up Rizzuto’s in West Hartford because their new drink menu looks AMAZING. I am perfectly content to go home after and rest up because the next day, after a morning workout, I will be hitting the road for Boston to eat and drink my way through the city with my good friend Molly! Yes I am nervous about what I will eat and drink but I owe her a visit and how often am I in Boston?! Keep an eye on Instagram all day/night Saturday, folks!

Molly and I were taking selfies long before they were the Word of the Year.

Molly and I were taking selfies long before they were the Word of the Year.

4. I finally got around to updating the About Me page. This has been on my “blog clean-up” to-do list for awhile! I originally wrote the page before I ever dreamed of being open about my ED and recovery journey. I alluded to it but now the page has more about my foodie history, development of my ED, and decision to get help and begin to fight. I also added links to both about-me related posts and recovery-related posts! I think the page definitely gives new visitors to my blog a better idea of who I am and what this blog is about. That’s my ultimate goal, because the About Me page used to be the first page I visited of ANY blog when I was only a blog-reader.

Ha!

5. I wore my new galaxy print yoga shorties from VS Pink today to spin class. It felt great to get today’s workout done in the morning and I just love wearing new workout gear! I was lucky enough to snag these guys on sale.

I think this post was appropriately random for a Five Things Friday. I started out with the heavy stuff and ended with the fun. Actually, it was all fun. Expect more fun in Monday’s marvelous post!

How do you handle feeling REALLY full after a meal?

What are you up to this weekend?

Do you frequently visit the About Me pages of blogs?

25 Responses to "Five Things Friday: Linking Up!"

1. Davida @ The Healthy Maven

November 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Told you on IG how obsessed I am with those shorts!

Oh that full feeling. Try to remember it’s fleeting and that in the grand scheme of things one meal makes NO difference!

And it took me 4 months to update my about me page and now I’m ready to update it again. Check back in another 4 months haha

November 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Hahha I wonder if my life will change enough in 4 months for it to warrant another update! This is my first update in…2 years? Eeek!

2. RFC

November 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Those shorts are AWESOME!

November 22, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I know right?! I’m obsessed.

November 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM

We definitely all overeat once in a while – we just have to keep in mind that just like one meal won’t make us healthy, one meal won’t make us unhealthy – our bodies will just do what they normally do and move on.
    And those shorts – wow. I’m usually a plain workout bottoms, fun tops sort of person, but those shorts are kick-ass.

November 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Thanks Sam, on both counts!

4. Kelsey

November 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Love those shorts girlie!
    Gah I hateeee feeling stuffed after a meal and struggle a lot trying to avoid that. I feel like its more often than not at a restaurant where overindulgence happens any sometimes its fine but just feeling stuffed is uncomfortable and just brings on those guilty feelings. Working on that with myself too.

I too am looking forward to some Thanksgiving holiday cooking, family visits, and a turkey trot! Are you contributing a dish to your Thanksgiving meal?! I’m in charge of two pies and a veggie! And a drink too! Dear Lord!

November 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I’m going out to eat for Thanksgiving! So no, I will not be contributing a dish. I may practice more cooking that week though when my family is home! I’d love to cook a dish for my grandma! And yes I get nervous about going out to eat for that very reason – the full feeling. I certainly can’t remember the last time I overate while dining at home.

5. Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine

November 22, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I am getting T-Day anxiety as well! I am worried that I will have to eat at a different time than normal and I feel like everyone will expect me to eat a certain way. It is really silly! I am cooking some amazing food and I should enjoy it! It is one day! (but I am also anxious about not having time to get in my workout…ugh!)

November 24, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Try to give yourself credit for even considering working out on Thanksgiving! Most people just say “it’s a holiday and I won’t even bother”.

November 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Boston, yay <3 hope you go to some fantastic places. And coffee next weekend double yay!

November 24, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Can’t wait to see you!

7. Arman @ thebigmansworld

November 22, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Off to check out your about me page- I read yours ages ago obv when I first started reading this blog!

But firstly, I think many of us can relate to those times when we overeat but the thing with those is its not an everyday occurrence. I used to purposely try not to eat ‘too much’ at dinner time purely because I wanted to have a snack before bed. Hope the anxiety settles before Thanksgiving- glad you have have the fam jam on board to keep things in perspective :)

November 24, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I still do that don’t eat too much at dinner thing so I can be “allowed” to eat a snack. But I’m getting better at eating what I want to at dinner and then still eating a snack!

8. Christine@munchkinmumbles

November 22, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Hi, I just stumbled across your blog and took a little read :)
    I love those shorts! I can’t tell from the picture, but do they have a sparkle to them?
    I am recovering from an ED too (over a year into recovery) and still get those nagging worried feelings. They have definitely diminished to the point where I can mostly ignore them, especially on vacation and restaurants, but I really wish they would disappear forever from day to day life. Thanks for sharing your story!

November 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Alas they don’t but damn that would be cool! I’m glad that you could relate to my story and thanks for sharing yours!

9. Christina

November 22, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Those shorts are AWESOME! Eee love them.
    I’m wishing you an anxiety-free, wonderful, turkey filled Thanksgiving, friend! You definitely deserve it.
    Ps: Totally mentioned you (more than once) in my last blog :D

November 24, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I am off to read!

10. mindy

November 23, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Those shorts are so cool looking!
    I get the same feeling after eating out (especially at night for some reason. ) I try my best to sleep it off, go for a run in the morning, and a light breakfast. Then I force myself to focus on my homework so I don’t have as much time to feel bad. Eventually the guilty feeling past so I try my best to avoid the feelings till they go away.
    And ahh Thanksgiving is coming up. It makes me nervous, but it’s only once a year and it’s suppose to be about family so we should try to focus on family that day and not the food ! =)

November 24, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I think the media gives us a stupid stigma about eating out and how “terrible” it is for us to eat out at all and especially at night. Sometimes I miss having schoolwork to distract my mind! I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving. We all deserve to!

November 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I definitely experienced some of this last night at my aunt and uncle’s house. I ate way more food than I needed to and was uncomfortably full. But I tried to not let it bother me because I was enjoying my time with people I care about over a really nice meal. I hope your trip to Boston ends up being a blast and you’re able to put aside some of the more negative thoughts! From your instagram pictures, it looks like you’re having fun thus far :)

November 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Thanks for always following along Sarah!

12. cait @pieceofcait

December 3, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I totally understand where your coming from about all the special events with food, alcohol and more food and alcohol. but, I have to remember that gathering around food, and great company = memories.

December 4, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I got plenty of them this weekend. I’m so glad I didn’t miss out!

December 19, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Love the shorts and I’m totally dying over all of the dishes from Millwright’s. Especially the kale and egg, obviously! I know it was a tough night for you, but I’m proud of you for remembering how much you enjoyed the food and the company. All good things :) xo