New Life, New Goals

Hey guys! I continue to be extremely busy but am trying to find time to blog where I can. The good news is my cold is already almost gone and I hope it won’t turn into a month-long cough, which is how most of my colds end up. Now I haven’t done a check-in for awhile now on the goals that I set for myself back in January (also, searching for that post made me realize I’ve made a lot of goal-related posts, but am bad about following up on them). I’ve been having a stressful week so far, putting a lot of pressure on myself, doing a lot of future-tripping, and not getting enough sleep (not on purpose). So I think it’s time to re-visit the goals I need to focus on because to be honest, some have changed due to my recent move/job change, some are still out there, and some can take a back-seat for now.

1. My New Year’s ResolutionI’m still keeping this one and have definitely been slacking on it lately. Up until this past Sunday’s event my nails had been bare for a couple of weeks, I’d been wearing lots of sweatpants (actually the same pair, over and over…), and not making much effort to look very human. And it totally had an effect on my mood and body image. I’ve been spending time feeling bad about myself and not doing anything about it. It’s time to change that. My practically non-existent commute means I have plenty of time to get ready in the morning. Just because I’m going out for a quick walking errand doesn’t mean I can’t try to look semi-presentable. I will never ban sweatpants and Uggs completely, but they need to see less use!

2. Accept that my plate now may be smaller: No, not my food plate (more on that later). Despite the fact that I’ve gained back almost two hours of my life in commuting time, living on my own means I now have more to do for myself. I’m not going to walk in the door and find dinner waiting for me. I don’t have a dishwasher, so I need to do dishes. I’m responsible for keeping my apartment clean. I need to make sure I stick around the building on the weekends when I do laundry – no more throwing it in the dryer and heading out for several hours of errands. I am working longer hours now, have more to do at work, and sometimes have events I need to work/attend in the evenings. I’m having a hard time accepting the fact that I may not have enough time now to do all I did back in CT. I used to go out one or two weeknights a week, but I think that needs to change to one or NONE. I keep beating myself up for workouts that aren’t as long, aren’t as “good”, aren’t as high-intensity.

But maybe I don’t have as much time to work out as I used to. Maybe I’m going to be more tired at the end of the day and I need to be kind to myself and just let myself come home and put my feet up and grab takeout from a place down the street. Every weekday I don’t work out, eat a home-cooked healthy meal, and keep a clean home I feel like a failure. I need to show myself more love and less pressure. I need to figure out a healthy amount I can take on, and accept that it may be less than previously. I know this is an adjustment period, but right now it’s been consisting of insomnia, stress-induced stomach problems, and popping-up of ED symptoms/thoughts (my go-to coping mechanism). I’m very much so over it and will try to be patient as I continue to work toward this goal.

3. Fuel properly – that means eating enough during the day: Yesterday I had yet another under-fueled, bad workout. Clearly I need to add an extra snack or eat a bigger lunch, but I’m used to eating a certain amount during the day and it’s hard for me to eat more than that without fearing that weight gain will sneak up on me. My body isn’t trying to trick me though and rationally I know if it feels underfueled, then I just gotta eat more. Shouldn’t be a bad thing, right? So I already ate a bigger lunch today and also packed an extra snack just in case. I hope I am rewarded with an excellent workout today!

8-3-12-physique25

4. GET OFF MY PHONE: I previously had set a goal to leave my phone in my room when I’m eating dinner, or leave it in my bag while I’m at work, and that has almost completely fallen by the wayside. I need to work on this again because I honestly feel a sense of stress when I get a text or an email that I’m just not up to answering, but I don’t answer it right away. I am aware that it’s not the end of the world for someone who texted me if I don’t respond right away, but in my mind it is at the time, and I can’t stop thinking about it until I respond. So I’ve got to work on that but also just hide the responses by putting my phone AWAY and keeping it there. Thankfully I have a vacation to Mexico coming up this month and given astronomical international texting rates, I will be forced to do just that. A REAL vacation, with less technology!

Let's go to the beach-each, let's go get away..

Let’s go to the beach-each, let’s go get away..

These are the top four goals that I know, if I work on, will decrease my overall stress level and increase my happiness. And how well I am adjusting to life here in Boston!

Can you relate to any of my goals? Any tips or stories to share?

What kind of self-improvement goals do you have going on right now?

22 Responses to "New Life, New Goals"

March 5, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Living in the city and no longer commuting by car has added a lot more exercise into your day than you realize. When I moved to DC I started shrinking immediately from all of the walking, so I really have to be sure to eat more throughout the day, especially when the weather gets nice and I walk even more! Moving to a new place comes with a lot of emotions, I thought I was doing great with my adjustment, but then I noticed I was taking on some bad habits at the same time that kind of snuck-up on me. So I think it is great that you are doing a check-in with yourself and your goals to make sure you are taking care of your health. Once you get used to your new routine, the stress will subside :) Still very excited for you and this adventure!

March 5, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I feel the EXACT way you did Lindsay, about some bad habits creeping back in. At first I felt like I was doing fine but then I started hitting hurdles that I am throwing up at myself! I need to be careful and that’s why I want to be very aware and put myself out here to be accountable.

2. jolene

March 5, 2014 at 3:43 PM

I totally hear you on the mental mind games of eating and fearing weight gain when your body needs ‘more’ than you feel like it should – but our bodies are smart and when they scream I AM HUNGRY, FEED ME, we should feed it. I fight with this too sometimes and it is so frustrating!! but every day I work a little more on it :)

March 5, 2014 at 6:12 PM

It can definitely be hard to judge how much we should be eating when our exercise routine changes up, so I’m glad to hear that you’re testing the higher intake thing today! I’m sure you’ll find that your workout today went much, much better.
    When Eric and I moved into our own place 1 1/2 years ago, it was an adjustment even with two of us – you don’t realize how much work really goes into keeping an apartment until you have to cook, clean and do all that jazz on your own! It’s a change for sure, but you’ll get used to it quickly.

March 5, 2014 at 8:16 PM

The increased intake went eh. It is hard to explain! I hope I will have time to in a post tomorrow.

4. Annie Heiss

March 5, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Yes to #1. Yes to #2. #3 is a re-discovered struggle for me as I learn what my body needs in my 80/10/10 experimental way of eating. And YES to #4. All of these. Me too. That is all.

March 5, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Thank you for making me feel not alone and we can work on this stuff together! By bailing on events hahaha

March 5, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Adjusting to a new place is really tough. I remember going through similar experiences as you in Denmark. I didn’t realize how many miles a day I was walking which was a huge part of my daily activity without even trying. Hopefully you find a balance that works for you and you can continue fighting those pesky ED voices that creep up whenever we go through major changes!

6. Jenn@runnderlust

March 5, 2014 at 11:05 PM

I LIVE in my yoga pants… Can completely relate to that Ecard…

7. *Andrea*

March 6, 2014 at 12:21 AM

living in the moment is tough for me too – i usually overanalyze, future think, ruminate on the past, etc.

my only advice is for #3 to not think about gaining or losing WEIGHT, but think about gaining your health and peace of mind. eating mindfully and taking care of yourself is what matters.

also, i highly recommend Cameron Diaz’s new book if you have time to get it!

March 6, 2014 at 8:52 AM

I actually JUST read a glowing review of it yesterday and decided I want to find it at the library!

8. Megan (The Lyons' Share)

March 6, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I completely relate! I always wonder how it is possible for people to go out during the weeknights AND work out and take care of all of the “adult stuff” that we need to do. I don’t think it’s possible for me, except for special things! Also relate to the phone. I’m getting slightly better at not being 100% attached, but still need to work on it! You’re doing GREAT, Caitlin! Keep it up!

March 6, 2014 at 10:37 AM

We can do it Megan! :)

March 6, 2014 at 8:33 PM

I always have a self-improvement goal, mentally and physically, I think there is always something we can work on in one of those areas.

I am super proud of you for the bigger lunch and packing the snack, now that you are walking everywhere you need more fuel. I know it can be hard to change your routine, but it will all fall into place soon.

I can’t wait to hear all about the job and events, seems like such a perfect fit for you!

I put my phone on do not disturb from 9 pm – 5 am, and have it set so it doesn’t ring or text, etc… the only thing that comes through is phone calls from my favorites.

March 7, 2014 at 9:10 AM

That’s such a great idea. I have heard good things about Do Not Disturb and need to look into it!

10. Maria @ Pappa Don't Preach

March 6, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Living on your own is such a big life change, especially for those of us who are so regimented to a daily schedule. However, I also think it really helps to get us out of that mindset. A daily schedule is okay, but so is a little spontaneity. I know you’ll be experiencing so many wonderful things in Boston, so make sure you take the opportunities when they come your way.
    Oh and btw – I found those baby baby cabbages at Whole Foods today!

March 7, 2014 at 9:11 AM

I ended up making spontaneous plans to go out last night and it worked out so great. I think I’m gonna keep trying to make no plans until last minute – gasp!

11. Tara | Treble in the Kitchen

March 7, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Love this!! My self improvement goals are to really try to be present and in the moment and stop being so hard on myself. I gotta keep things positive and in perspective and know that it will all work out :)

March 8, 2014 at 3:09 PM

I have a similar goal!

12. Ashley

March 8, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I totally feel ya, as I’m in a transitional phase right now with a possible job offer and moving to another state and having to get started in a job with a lot of weird hours. I’m such a slave to my routine and I already hate when it has to change, so I know finding a new routine will be hard for a while, so definitely don’t beat yourself up about it! I’m already worried about missing workouts and maybe eating out more but honestly, it’s such a normal thing for so many people that it shouldn’t be so stressful. Easier said than done, but I think you’ll find your new groove in no time!

March 9, 2014 at 3:43 PM

I hope you do too and don’t let fear of change hold you back in chasing your dreams!

March 8, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Moving and adjusting your routine is definitely stressful, on top of starting a new job. I think you’re doing an amazing job fitting everything in and stressing as little as you can. I’m also so proud of you for recognizing that you need more fuel for your workouts. It’s NEVER fun to be hungry during a workout!